• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Custom location of Windows 10 Shell Folders (Desktop, Start Menu, etc.)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Changing this value in Windows 10 Home registry no longer works:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

What is the new way set a custom location for Desktop in Windows 10 Home?
Windows 10 Pro appears to still be customizable with that registry key.

Last edited:
Answer:

Original locations can be viewed at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
but do not change registry values directly inside Windows registry.

To move a special Windows shell folder such as Desktop, create the new destination folder first so you can browse to it later.

Right click on the *current* Windows shell folder > Properties > Location TAB > Move >
Browse to new location > Apply > Yes > OK

Last edited:
Did you check to see if this key exists?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Aha. So User Shell Folders instead of Shell Folders, interesting.

Perhaps User Shell Folders would control the folder locations on systems where Shell Folders does not... Thanks for that tip.

I think that might be quicker, sure.
I can only report that doing the (perhaps longer) way I posted does work on all systems I tested...

Both 'User Shell Folders' and 'Shell Folders' exist on win7 and win8. I've always used Shell Folders, after doing some reading this morning, I should really be using User Shell Folders. It appears that Shell Folders was there just for legacy support.

Back