• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Day Z Mod for Arma II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've managed to get it working... sort of...

Can join the server (they have released a hotfix patch 1.7.1.1) but i get something like 5fps... completely unplayable... gonna wait a day or two to give servers a chance to update and maybe more patches...

ah lame!!! I havent played for a while but i heard you only start with a flashlight now, LOLOL :p this should be fun :D

Yeah, after last few updates you only get a painkiller, flashlight, and a bandage at the start. Still, pretty easy to find guns. I ended up heading straight into the woods soon as I spawned, slowly making my way to NWA...was all settled by the time I got there.

I think the key is heading north quickly. I spawned over in Kamenka and headed right for zelenogorsk(?) and made it just in time before my hunger/thirst started freaking out. Bean Coast = Bust

I have been trying to play over the last 3 days.. I just spawn in that test forest, or on a giant plain... No actual game play :(

Head East for a whiiiiile (some have reported having to walk for over an hour) and you will reach the map. You are in the debug forest so you may want to make sure your game is up to date, including the beta patch for Arma.

I checked my files out, all up to date.. I have the beta patch installed..

I am just going to wait for a new release.

LOL.

I figured out my issue, I thought I had the beta installed, but Steam will not allow it to run.. I had to follow some instructions on a page and I have been playing all night :)

So I've tried playing this mod/game the past couple of days, and frankly its about as much fun as dying in a forest of dehydration which is coincidentally mostly what this mod is about. I know "its alpha" but its still not any fun. I'm not asking that I be given a suit of space armor and a rocket launcher here, a bottle of water and a metal pipe for clubbing things doesn't seem like an unreasonable starting loadout. Then maybe a newbie could actually learn a tiny bit about combat before dying.

At first I couldn't even open doors or pick up stuff on the ground, after reading a couple guides I got that sorted I guess. I think saying the inventory system is merely convoluted is being generous, its certainly not intuitive. And opening doors? Well it was only half my fault. Seemingly 95% of the buildings in the game you can't enter, making the towns I visited mostly just a mirage that only succeeds in tricking you into coming into close proximity to zombies.

I've found essentially no loot. Some flares, tin cans, a few cokes and magazines for weapons I don't have. One game I found an axe while heavily wounded and while being zombie pounded managed to equip it and defend myself for the first and only time in the game. I killed a couple zombies but suffering heavily from blood loss and out of bandages the party ended quickly. Without the axe you have no defense at all, a single zombie can just beat you to death and all you can do is run (and they can't be easily outrun) or stare at it. You think I'd at least be able to kick the zombies or hit them with a rock from the forest but no.

And don't even get me started on going through doors or trying to jump over a fence. Its like docking the space shuttle to the international space station to perform those basic moves.

I'm not sure I'm going to give it another shot or not. I like the concept and the open world. Maybe it'll improve some but walking for hours in the woods only to find nothing but some tin cans and then dying is just not that much fun. The worst part is when you do die the game seems to force you to disconnect and reconnect to the server or something...you can't even jump back in quickly.

I've only been playing for just over a week now, but this is where I am now. First few days were terrible, as it seems I picked the absolute worst time to pick up this mod (1.7.1.1?) because you no longer spawned with a weapon, Zed had x-ray vision and bat-like hearing. Similarly to a guy above me, I made it to town hours later only to find most building locked and those that were accessible had nothing but bandages and tin cans.

However, what was my saving grace for this game was teaming up with others who have been playing for a while and learn the ropes. After a couple of days I know the layout of most towns and was able to easily recognize buildings and the type of gear they may contain. Here, a good interactive map is key....everything else comes with time.

As of today, I've been alive for 4 days and counting. I have a gillie suit, silenced M4+ CCO, DMR Sniper Rifle, night-vision goggles, GPS + all the essentials. Definitely not where I thought I would be in a mere couple of days. Just give it time, talk to people, read the forums, and most importantly, get a good interactive map and learn the layout of the map.

All around, this is what I learned:

- Communication (ie MIC+direct voice or server mumble/TS) is paramount. If you don't talk, you are 100x more likely to end up dead.
- That being said....be ready to die and lose your gear to other players, zombies, or random doors/ladders that leave you crippled and bleeding out in the middle of nowhere.
-Berezino = absolute favorite for gearing up as a fresh survivor, as the town is loaded with multiple tree-stands, supermarkets, apartment buildings, hospital and military tents. (keep re-spawning till you land in Solnichnoe? or Quarry and run north-ish).
-Stay away from airfields unless you're ready for a fight or are few players on the server.
-Scout out empty fields as they may have a heli crash sites that have tons of great potential for gear.
- and lastly....DONT GET ATTACHED TO YOUR GEAR...enjoy. :)

......that's all I can think of for now, gotta run. Feel free to ask questions.

So I was about at my frustration level and I gave it another go with an online map. I think its sort of lame that I have to have a loot map to even find any loot but whatever. If you could actually loot all the houses you see or didn't spawn defenseless I might feel worse about it, LOL.

I've been able to survive for awhile now that I have that I have actual real loot places to go too. Deer stands have tons of weapons usually and are easy to sneak up and raid. But I usually try and find a barn and get an axe right away. Some tips with the axe: Not only do you have to right click and remove from toolbelt to use it as a weapon, but you also must RELOAD the axe first before you can use it, LOL. The axe is silent and doesn't need ammo so its actually a great weapon.

Other weapons are more dangerous to use due to their zombie attracting noise and usually I just use whatever gun I lucked into having a magazine for. Forget your favorite weapon. Your favorite weapon is the one that fires which is probably the axe LOL. You can't carry two primary weapons until you get a better backpack either...which of course makes no sense because you can carry the axe on your toolbelt.

I've only had a few encounters with players, which isn't surprising since I'm mostly hanging out in the woods. One guy was just ahead of me raiding deer stands and when we noticed each other we both took off in the woods. One guy crawled into a barn I was looting with a couple zombies on his tail before disconnecting. I actually thought he was a new kind of crawler zombie I hadn't seen before at first. I was ready to split his head with my axe if he came up into the loft. I'm not even sure he saw me, I think he disconnected because he aggro'd a zombie. And I saw another guy booking it up a mountain road with a bunch of zombies chasing him yesterday.

I figured out how to fill water bottles and with the aid of the map to find ponds dehydration isn't to much of a problem. Food is hard to find though, mostly because its needed to replenish blood. My main problem is I don't have any matches to cook my raw meat. Also morphine. I gather there are only a handful of dangerous and camped areas that even have morphine but without it a broken leg is a death sentence. If you leg gets broken by a random zombie swat (I know, what?) while you're in the middle of the woods and you have no morphine to "heal" the leg, click respawn.

I also gather that matches are very hard to find and I'll also have to wade into a very dangerous populated area to find them. This aggravates me since:

1) Matches are a common household item, especially when you think of things like lighters, gas grills, torches or even flash lights or flares could all be used to start a fire as well. Heck if you're determined you could start a fire with some sticks but I'll let that one go.
2) With how common firearms are it seems a little fruity that fire starting tools would be so hard to find in comparison. The more I think about it the less sense it makes.

If I could more easily acquire morphine and had some damn matches I'm actually pretty confident I could stay alive in the woods for a pretty long time now.

Supermarkets!!! By far the best place to gear up. Berezino has two of them, plus multiple apartments that can spawn gille suits and other good items. There are also military tents that can spawn military weapons, but pretty rare. Lastly, it has a hospital thats loaded with medical supplies like morphine, pills, blood, bandages, epi pens, and maybe even antibiotics.

Supermarkets - very high chance of matches, ALICE packs, other backpacks, hunting knives, compas, watch, tons of food and water, bullets, guns, binos. If you dont find what you need, may have to try another server.

Apartments - can spawn alice pack, gille suits, bullets, guns, bandages, misc food and water.

Fire stations - guns, lots of guns.

Red buildings (enterable) - usually spawn hand gun, bullets, some food, and bandages.

Deer stands - can spawn high grade weapons, gps, and some misc medical supplies.

I hear these guys are already getting help from the devs of Arma III for the mod

So sometime next year this mod should get a nice step up in detail and all the rest the updated game engine will bring

now all i need is the time to throw myself into this world a little :)

I love this game. However, ever since the latest beta patch I get wicked memory leaks. After about an hour or so, my frames tank. 60 down to 20 and then 30 minutes later I am playing at 10 frames. Windows likes to inform me that it is running out of memory fast and that I should close Arma 2 to save some.

So I jumped into a server yesterday... Began running for a farm to find some sort of gun. I am just about to enter some buildings north of Electro and suddenly I have a Saiga 12k and I am completely stocked with ammo?

*does not compute*

I ask in the group channel what's going on, and no one responds. I continue running around and eventually die. I respawn near Electro again and begin to run, suddenly I am detached from my body! I turn around and there I am standing there, but 'I' am moving around myself. I hit the 3rd person key, and it turns out that I am a Rabbit?!?!?!?!

Clearly some hackers were playing around.

I hear these guys are already getting help from the devs of Arma III for the mod

So sometime next year this mod should get a nice step up in detail and all the rest the updated game engine will bring

now all i need is the time to throw myself into this world a little :)

I was under the impression that the creators of Day-Z were actually already involved with ARMA2 (thought I heard that on a podcast)

I was under the impression that the creators of Day-Z were actually already involved with ARMA2 (thought I heard that on a podcast)

Exactly right, just pointing out that they are getting help with the new game engine upgrades also at this early stage, so hopefully this mod will be bringing us lots of nice things as soon as could be hoped for :)

I hadn't played for a while and the other night I tried to get in the game and it just crashes when trying to launch the game from the new launcher but launches from steam fine but if I launch from steam I can't join any servers...

I am a very sad panda :(

I just stumbled upon this on YT lastnight. Looks cool, but you have to gamble money away on ARMA II software hoping that you'll like it.

Not sure I will enjoy spending hours walking around and possibly ending up nowhere though. But I am a fan of the premise behind the game.

Back