• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Inspiron 1545 Motherboard fault?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

What's up guys, long time no see, which is good, because it means I learnt enough when I was previously active to not need to ask for assistance, but I'm in a spot of bother atm, and can't figure out a solution for the life of me.

Ok so I've got an Inspiron 1545 here, There was an issue where if I plugged a cable in to charge the battery, it would just power the machine, and not charge it.

I researched the problem, and it seems it was a common fault with the powerboard on the machine, so I replaced the $15 component, but to no avail.

The next step (Suggested by Dell and other people with the same problem online) was to replace the Motherboard.

I replaced the motherboard with a refurb, and the laptop would not boot properly, the fan would spin for a few seconds, with the harddrive whirring, where it would then power off, and power itself back on in a loop.

Even putting the old motherboard back in seemed to cause this error, after switching the motherboards around 4/5 times, the old one eventually worked again, but still displayed the 'plugged in, not charging' error.

I've had a second replacement motherboard sent to me, with the same problem, and now, even when I put the old motherboard back in, I again can't boot either.

I've tried removing all of the components (RAM/HDD/WLAN/CPU/DVD) and even then the problem persists, which leads me to think there is something shorting the board out? Because all 3 boards can't be faulty, and there must be a reason for the original board to have worked that time.

I know this is really long, but I'm desperate, I'd appreciate any help at all that you can provide, and I'll pay $15 via Liberty Reserve to any member that has a working solution.

UPDATE: I just found out that you can boot into a diagnostics mode by holding FN + the Power Button, when I attempted it, I got 3 beeps and it powered itself off again. I've tried this 3/4 times now, and gotten a different amount of beeps each time, which furthers my idea that it's shorting itself out on something :/

UPDATE 2: Curious, when I power it on with the Charger in, it does the above, but the power light stays on even when supposedly powered off, it then reboots itself, and I can hear the HDD + Fan whirring until I turn it off :/

UPDATE 3: Tried laying the board on bubblewrap to insulate and prevent any shorting, unplugged all cables bar power button + plugged the battery in, the same issue happened (LED indicated so) I'm yet to try this on the other two boards though, and I'm gonna try it without the Powerboard attached.
I can also provide pictures if necessary :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Back