• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

desk project is getting started this weekend...need input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
ok, heres what the desk will look like
http://t5r.recongamer.com/room with new desk.jpg
http://t5r.recongamer.com/desk.jpg

i think im going to get stainless steel tiles (.024" thick), this will cover the wood, then im going to have a sheet of plexiglass on top of that. and at some point, im going to put LED's in the corners of the plexi, so the top of the desk will glow. comp will prolly end up going under the desk. no keyboard tray, and on the left side, thats where a stereo receiver will be going....

one of my friends said i should integrate a surge protector..which is a pretty good idea.

the tiles should only cost like $30, the plexiglass, as soon as i find a big enough sheet, should cost about that much, and the wood is cheap, $25 for it id say. + nails and whatnot, but that stuff is cheap.

what do you all think?

I think that your desk will look awesome!! I wish I had my own house so I could build me a desk! The leds will look awesome!!:cool: good idea!

Have you thought about building the computer case as part of the desk?

Had a thought to spread my computer over the underside of the desktop. CD/DVD Drives, and power switch would be near where you sit, the motherboard would be attached upside down near the back of the uderside of the desk (to keep the wires out of the way). Encase the mobo in a small thin wood case/cover so that you can get some proper air flow and resist dust a bit.

just a thought. :)

Jeff.

i dont know where to get a huge piece of glass either, that would be neat though...would glass still show the led light well? glass also weighs ALOT more, so unless i could find some here in town, then id say no....plus, id have to figure out how to cut the glass....i can cut plexiglass myself, or acryllic...i dunno, we will see how prices look

it looks nice, but with it like this, you will see all of you wires, unless you are planing on highding them. and do you have the monitors facing away from the door and windows, so that others dont see what you are looking at? :D

im going to put a back on the desk....lemmy get the pic hosted real fast....

http://t5r.recongamer.com/desk.jpg

there we go, thats what it will prolly look like, then, depending on if i put the case above or below the desk, im going to put a shelf of some sort underneath, to put my printer.

monitors are facing away from windows and doors, but mainly because it looks better, this way i can have people sitting on the other side, and whatever else.

surge protector will be inside the desk, not outside btw

picture creative by Namagomi (member here)

lol, you better believe it.

actually, all the cables will be run inside of the desk, im putting holes behind the monitors, behind the actual case, and behind my receiver, so only the necessary wires will be showing.

ive got some bad news though, i think i might be getting a car this week, and if i spend $100 on a desk, then thats wouldnt be very responsible of me in the eyes of my parents, so we will see how things go this week, see how much cash i have left over, and ill get started ASAP, ill keep you all updated though

go to a glass shop/window shop and just have cut you a piece in the size you need. my desk has a 5ftx30inch piece on it. works super. easy to clean.

Back