• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you ever cheat in games? Do you think it can increase enjoyment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

Now before you all dogpile on me, beat me to death and castrate me with a rusty spork, I am referring to SINGLE PLAYER games.

I cheat in them occasionally, usually when I have already beat the game at least once to skip parts I don't enjoy or change things up (EX my 3rd playthrough of HL2 was done entirely with the super gravity gun). Rarely I will use cheats to remove an aspect of a game I find extremely annoying. I think cheating in this manner can increase enjoyment of the game.

I was curious about everyone else and your opinions, do you ever cheat?

/I never cheat in multiplayer games as the fun in multiplayer games comes from the fact that everyone is on a level playing field. Cheating in multiplayer games is also not cool as it ruins other peoples enjoyment of the game.

For sure, some levels in SC1 i would just give myself a ton of money to get it done with cause i knew HOW to beat it, but hated the level and didnt wanna deal with it.... on others, knowing where the bad guys spawn or when and planing a claymore or thorwing a grenade around a corner cause i KNOW they will be there... does make it more fun...

Is it a cheat to complete the one level in portal without using the stupid cube? I love that level. Once you get the orange and blue halves of the gun and you enter a room facing a wall, get yourself to the high point, put a portal on the floor by the exit and then jump down into a portal. Bypasses the whole level. If you play through in developer mode, there is a target to listen to and it tells you the the developers left the "cheat" in because it takes more logic to do the cheat than the actual level. :rofl:

Cheating in Vice City was an absolute blast. I just screwed around in the game to have fun and put WAY more hours into that than the story. You could do some insane stuff.

I remember standing on a building, spawning 150 taxis in one pile and shooting a rocket at it. The PS2 got ~0.3 fps and it was glorious. I'd pick up a PS2 just for that game.

Game Genie on NES and SNES had so many crazy cheat codes, it makes today's game 'cheats' seem like nothing.

N64 had a lot of fun unlockable cheats also, especially Goldeneye. Today's games don't have nearly that amount of easter eggs/unlockables anymore (well, you can manually edit PC games with dev console or config files), since now it's all about rushing the next shooter/sports game clone to farm the masses for currency.

Sort of...I like to play the game like a FPS. Then on the second play through give myself unlimited ammo and all the guns. That's usually the part I find least enjoyable. Making sure I have enough ammo and good weapons to get through a level on "Hard". Far cry was a game that was just a blast to use ammo and all weapon cheats. Must have played thru it 10 times.

Last edited:
Online games, I prefer griefing over cheating. But single player games, after I have beaten the game, I sometimes like to try and break the game as much as possible with cheats :D

Cheating in the ol days of CounterStrike with a second computer acting as my "Ghosting buddy" certainly was fun. It really only gave me an edge when there was a 1 to a few enemies left and I could throw a grenade ahead of one's path or behind a wall to kill them. ;)

I definitely have cheated in most single player games I've played. I don't really play single player games anymore so I don't cheat anymore. I found that it added another entertaining element to a game. For example I loved getting a ridiculous number of guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, and my favorite car in GTA games and seeing how long I could last with 5 or 6 stars. I've probably spent hundreds of hours playing GTA games and never once got more than a quarter of the way through the story. I also cheat in games like The Sims or Minecraft. I play those games to build really cool things, not to spend hundreds of hours getting money or mining things. I'll also cheat if I get stuck in an unbeatable situation, like in a fps where I get saved with a 1/10th of my hp, little ammo, and a massive firefight ahead that is impossible to get through with my hp and ammo.

Is it a cheat to complete the one level in portal without using the stupid cube? I love that level. Once you get the orange and blue halves of the gun and you enter a room facing a wall, get yourself to the high point, put a portal on the floor by the exit and then jump down into a portal. Bypasses the whole level. If you play through in developer mode, there is a target to listen to and it tells you the the developers left the "cheat" in because it takes more logic to do the cheat than the actual level. :rofl:

I was so proud of myself when i figured this out. I know exactly what youre talking about lol

Cheating makes games worse since you're breaking gameplay... but it can be fun doing the impossible and mucking around. Sometimes I use cheats to create new challenges.

**** yeah. Cheating rules.

It depends on the game, though. GTA stuff, cheat all day, I just wanna ride the motorcycle and the Maybach :D

Tomb Raider type stuff? Hell nah.

I remember when I did the glitch to catch a Mew omg <3

**** yeah. Cheating rules.

It depends on the game, though. GTA stuff, cheat all day

theres nothing like using the weapons cheat to cause some mayhem then bust out the tank when the cops start chasing you.

way back in the day, i found a wallhack/aimbot for cs 1.5/dod. i played around with it for a while, but honestly, i got very bored very fast. i didnt go rambo and destroy everyone, so i never got caught, but after like two days, it completely lost its novelty and i got rid of it

I have cheated in a few games that made it remarkably more enjoyable. For example all of the Grand theft auto games. <-- I loved getting all the stars then making it go in slow mo and blasting the cops heads of in slow mo is aaammazing! Age of empires 3 was another game that cheats made more fun. I would give my self endless about of money and i would give get instant build. Rather than building a huge army i would build a maze of defense towers and i would allow the computer to try to get through. Lets just say they never did!

In some singleplayer games, sometimes. I mean, I'll occasionally run through HL2 using only the RPG, cheating to give me more ammo or spawn the tank in GTA3. But in games like FO3/NV or BFBC2, no because I think trying to survive is half the fun.

Back