• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you ever cheat in games? Do you think it can increase enjoyment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The last game I cheated in was DragonAge2, I used AHK to have tab always be active so I didn't have to hold it down everywhere to find loot (so stupid), and also made it so I can dual-wield different weapons (didn't give any crazy stats though).

I tend to do it in games that I just want to play through quickly to get the story-line and not deal with death/etc to slow me down. I rarely use god-mode etc unless I am getting really frustrated with a level (FarCry had a couple levels that required it in my opinion).

Lol I hate killing people and getting warrants ... The best is the weapon test room.

Hah, thats why you just spawn like 15 enemies while up on a roof and all hell breaks loose below you! Its great to see which NPC's flee and which try to kill the enemy.

I think I have more fun just messing around with games than I do actually beating them. I like to mess with the AI and see what happens.

Humorous side note:

I actually found my way to meet the guy who gives you a chance to join the thieves guild, and you have to beat out 2 others (the elven female and the red lizard dude). The elven female takes off sprinting like a maniac and she kept beating me to the diary that I was supposed to steal. One of the rules was you could not kill each other. So I opened the console and gave myself a short sword of paralysis and smacked her with that and took off ahead and got it.

LOL.

It was a fun moment for me. :chair:

I tend to do it in games that I just want to play through quickly to get the story-line and not deal with death/etc to slow me down. I rarely use god-mode etc unless I am getting really frustrated with a level (FarCry had a couple levels that required it in my opinion).

Haha. I used to do that. I played through the whole game running around with just a pistol in hand (except where you have to shoot down that helicopter) with God Mode enabled.

I remember playing through Doom2 with God Mode and just a pistol.

never cheated, except in goldeneye for n64 as far as i can remember, socom 2 on the psp pissed me off with all the damn cheaters

OHHH! An OPINION PIECE!

Well... you asked for it:

I never cheat. I think cheating's for LOSERS. (Contra Code notwithstanding... I mean come on...)

I'm so busy it usually takes me so long to get through a game as is that I don't have TIME to cheat. Granted it's a hell of a lot of fun if it's you and your buddy against the computer in GTAIV or something...

But somebody on a site I go to was asking for a cheat for unlimited life... for a FIGHTING GAME... specifically BECAUSE he couldn't beat the game on it's hardest setting.

That's your prototypical cheater right there. Someone who just SUCKS at the game and is looking for an out

No... The only time I think it's acceptable is after you've beaten a single player game and the cheats are FUNNY. (Think GOD MODE or DOG MODE in "Rise of the Triad.")

One of my all-time favorite games is Spiderman 2 (the PS2 version. Though the PS1 version, Enter Electro, ranks pretty high as well), and at any time you could just swing around the city stopping random people and looking for the six billion tokens hidden all around town. For me that was the finest hour of sandbox gaming. The sandbox was so good that the MAIN game sucked!

I'm sure there's all kinds of cheats for that game... but why bother when there's so much you could do WITHOUT cheating.

Or like Tony Hawk where after you reached a certain level you could unlock spiderman and cosmic spiderman. Another game with possibilities so limitless who would want to cheat?

Here's a sad one:
?TJL-BDFW-BFGV-JVVB

all cheats code for doom64 (still memorized)
as well as the ABACABB (blood kortal kombat 1)
BA(down)(left)A(down)C(right)(up)(down) - MK3
(left)(down)(left)(right)(down)(right)(left)(left)(right)(right) - MK2

still have these memorized for over 10-15 years... wow.

Doom codes, if I remember correctly IDDQD was god mode and IDKFA was all weapons/keys/ammo (I may have them backwards). There was also IDCLIP for no-clipping (walk through walls).
I D Kill F-ing Everything - a great cheat from ages past!

You can type those into some modern PC game consoles for funny results.

I use cheats in single plater from time to time. Fallout 3 and NV come to mind. I even use the config files from time to time. Turned off the gore in fallout 3 so I could play it with my kids in the same room. :eek:

If you cheat in multiplayer games you are lame IMHO. Even if you were just "trying it out" :facepalm:. That's no excuse, unless you are playing on an unranked modded server that allows it.

Doom codes, if I remember correctly IDDQD was god mode and IDKFA was all weapons/keys/ammo (I may have them backwards). There was also IDCLIP for no-clipping (walk through walls).

:rofl: ahhh! I was wondering why those looked so familiar. I can't keep up with acronyms as it is and kids keep making moar! :fight:

IDDQD might have meant "I Did Dairy Queen Duty" IDKFA Would be a great but vulgar expression of what I know of these that I will not say. hahaha

Now before you all dogpile on me, beat me to death and castrate me with a rusty spork, I am referring to SINGLE PLAYER games.

I cheat in them occasionally, usually when I have already beat the game at least once to skip parts I don't enjoy or change things up (EX my 3rd playthrough of HL2 was done entirely with the super gravity gun). Rarely I will use cheats to remove an aspect of a game I find extremely annoying. I think cheating in this manner can increase enjoyment of the game.

I was curious about everyone else and your opinions, do you ever cheat?

/I never cheat in multiplayer games as the fun in multiplayer games comes from the fact that everyone is on a level playing field. Cheating in multiplayer games is also not cool as it ruins other peoples enjoyment of the game.

battletoads /thread

Back