• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you ever cheat in games? Do you think it can increase enjoyment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^ I usually use codes in games after I have beaten them without the help and I usually just goof around, the best example is all of the GTA games.

Castrate YOU? Let's see what happens after this post.
Quick answer: Yes and yes. I cheat on games all the time, and I think it adds to the fun.
This isn't a blanket solution though. A lot of games don't really add any fun to the matter by cheating.
Multiplayer? Yep. I'll still cheat. I don't care what anyone thinks about me for cheating, I do it if it makes it more fun for me. When I'm playing CS(1.5, 6 or :S) I'll cheat. Normally I won't when playing on my usual server(s), but every once in awhile, I love to go rage through a public server and I really don't care what anyone here or elsewhere thinks about it.

With all that said, most of my online gaming is on the 360 now a days.

I cheat more to see a single player game's story if I don't have time to play it legit. Otherwise, I only cheat if the game bores me.

I have some fairly nasty carpal tunnel irl, and I tend to use bots with MMO's. I don't do the damned 24/7 power-level, but for certain games (lineage comes to mind) where it's a repetitive click fest I use them on because it hurts me physically to play sometimes. I don't use speed or map hacks at all for MMO's, just bots as play aids when I start having pain issues.

Depends... sometimes i do it for a little boost(rarely).

Usually nowadays since cheating is much harder i don't bother, even when its "fun".

I don't know i more or less have usually played games for inate challange that most of the games pose. I could cheat on some games like oblivion i recently restarted... but why, it doesn't really benefit me in the ways i would want.

I've played many games with and without cheating.I only play single player so....I find a better game play eith god mode. Sometimes cheating give you the opportunity to go places that you might not be able to go. I still follow the story line and complete it.

Solitaire... I cheat all the time since I'm not really keeping track of actual win. In Ultima 5, I did the disk swap trick to travel between Britannia and Underworld to get the 3 shards, amulet, and enter Doom easy. When I got SimCity 2000 for Macintosh, it didn't take me long to figure out how to get free money. not the old fund trick like original SimCity (SC2k hits you with interest on fund trick) instead I used ResEdit to find the save file's code for the money and used HyperCard to change the code so I got more money.

Would using GameFaqs.com to look up solutions to Sudoku count as cheating? I got one hard Sudoku "done" in under 2 minutes.

I still cheat sometimes. I did a lot when I was younger. Now, usually only when there is something I find annoying or game breaking. Sometimes on a 2nd or third play through.

Usually the only way I cheat is sometimes editting games for items or something. Never to the point of unbalance though.

Case in point, Diablo 2. I used to play single player all the time. The drop rate of some uniques/runes is like 100,000,000:1. That is just ridiculous for any single player game. I editted the game to increase the chance of drops. Nothing crazy like 100% but upped the chance from .1% to 10% and got rid of the logrithmic nature of rune drops. Yes editting the items into my inventory would make it faster, but I wasn't trying to give myself everything, just wanted to have the chance of potentially seeing some of the things bot farmers on multiplayer see.

After playing through some good portion of ME2 I started to use a memory scanner to give myself infinite ammo. The ammo is not really a problem for most classes, but I found that as a sniper they only gave me enough ammo to use my sniper rifle 20% of the time which was frustrating as 75% of my abilities were releated to sniping. Also there in game description of how ammo worked bugged the crap out of me. (If all the guns use the same ammo, then why don't they have a shared ammo pool). The game was SOOOO much better once I could actually use the gun my skills related to instead of just running around with a pistol the whole game. I have not found ammo to be an issue with the soldier class though.

:clap: I played through that game again last night. It's level 14. :rofl:

I'm pretty sure one of the challenges require you to do this. It's like complete the level in 10 steps, and you drop a portal in front of the exit, one in front of you, and bounce back and forth till you can hit one on the ceiling. Then you have to land the same color on the floor so you pop out by the exit. It was a nightmare to do.

I never used to. But since graduating college and having a real job I don't always have the time to sink into some challenges. Its nice to cheat a little to get past things that would otherwise be too timeconsuming to even finish a game. There is a tradeoff though, cheat too much and the challenge is gone and the game loses its fun.

Recently I've been playing Civ5. I edited the xml files to give whatever civ I start with a scout. Its not a huge cheat and does practically nothing for me later in the game, its just nice to start out and be able to see more of the map quickly. Its also a cheat that doesn't ruin the fun of the game, because its a one time up front thing. I am still out of luck if I get in trouble later on. Contrast that with cheats in games like sim city or starcraft/warcraft where you can instantly get yourself some more dollars whenever you need them -- that ends up ruining the fun, because you don't feel the sense of danger or like something could go really badly.

I'm pretty sure one of the challenges require you to do this. It's like complete the level in 10 steps, and you drop a portal in front of the exit, one in front of you, and bounce back and forth till you can hit one on the ceiling. Then you have to land the same color on the floor so you pop out by the exit. It was a nightmare to do.

I love the level with the extreme drop and the floating platforms. You shoot one on the first platform then drop two-hundred or so feet into one projecting yourself out the other. Took me over fifty tries my first time through, got it in one last night. Great level.

Game Genie on NES and SNES had so many crazy cheat codes, it makes today's game 'cheats' seem like nothing.

Game Genie was alot of fun. I remeber spending weeks of my summer off from school one year just typing random garbage in as cheat codes -- you could find some really fun things that way and get some crazy glitchy effects in some games.

Usually the only way I cheat is sometimes editting games for items or something. Never to the point of unbalance though.

Case in point, Diablo 2. I used to play single player all the time. The drop rate of some uniques/runes is like 100,000,000:1. That is just ridiculous for any single player game. I editted the game to increase the chance of drops. Nothing crazy like 100% but upped the chance from .1% to 10% and got rid of the logrithmic nature of rune drops. Yes editting the items into my inventory would make it faster, but I wasn't trying to give myself everything, just wanted to have the chance of potentially seeing some of the things bot farmers on multiplayer see.

That was the major downfall of singleplayer diablo -- you had no one to trade with and there was no real way to get the good stuff. It seemed like even if you did get some rare drop you couldn't use it anyway because it was for the wrong class.

I'm against cheating but I usually cheat sometimes when I beat a game or something like that just to have random fun. I remember I used to cheat a lot in GTA III when it came out, it was too difficult without cheating lol. Now I grew up and not even in GTA IV I cheat. And besides with games being so easy these days, except for super meat boy, there's no point in cheating, it just breaks the little challenge there is and thus the fun.

In single player games, yes I will cheat, multi player games are a no go.

i.e.

Sins of a Solar Empire, I run a trainer so that I have pretty much unlimited fleet size and such. I will set up a game and send out massive fleets to go and cause chaos. I don't enjoy being artificially limited to a total number of ships or similar.

Dragon Age/Fallout it is fun to be able to just run around, and do whatever.

I am not using cheats to beat the game the day I buy it. I have fun being able to play the game the way I want to, whether it is with huge fleets, or with unlimited ammo, armor, health or whatever...

Hell I use an editor on Minecraft so I can do what I want to.

Back