• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does PS3 have any RPGs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Currently PS3 has Enchanted Arms [mediocre RPG I beat on 360] and Oblivion. Not much I know - ironically the 360 is the console of choice for RPGs.

deception``

That's misleading. PS3 has 3 RPGs and Xbox has FOUR. That doesn't necessarily make it "the console of choice" for RPGs. It's pretty pathetic of both of them (You forgot the first PS3 RPG... Lore or something like that.)

I don't know what the hell they're doing on the RPG front... but at least you can play all the PS1 RPGs (which rank in the millions) and if you have an 80 gig system you can play all the PS2 rpgs.

I really think that the technology has made it more difficult to create games with depth. Writing and translating an RPG is hard enough... now they have to worry about programming for the next gen systems (which takes FOREVER now) and THEN writing and translating.

The PS3 is getting Trusty Bell Eternal Sonata soon. It was on the 360 first but will be making its way to the PS3 soon, supposedly with more content and updated blah blah blah yeah we've heard it all before with ports.

Of course, there is always Final Fantasy XIII. Really, Squeenix, when will it truly be the Final Fantasy (see what I did there)?

Yes, but what happened to all the RPG's?! There were insane amounts on PS1/PS2...and that is the reason I got PS3. I'm disappointed so far :-/

That is a grand total of 2 that I might consider.

I hate to say it but I think the massive success of WoW is killing alot of RPG production on consoles.

Maybe not, but if I was a dev looking to make a profit, I sure wouldn't want to compete against WoW and the other MMO's.

Sucks not having more rpgs.

I hate to say it but I think the massive success of WoW is killing alot of RPG production on consoles.

Maybe not, but if I was a dev looking to make a profit, I sure wouldn't want to compete against WoW and the other MMO's.

Sucks not having more rpgs.
Huh? WoW is a mumorpaga, not an RPG....not sure how that can compete with regular RPG's...

God I miss WoW. I need another rpg. Thinking about starting up oblivion again, or jumping on Diablo 3 to get my monster fix until FF13.

That's misleading. PS3 has 3 RPGs and Xbox has FOUR. That doesn't necessarily make it "the console of choice" for RPGs. It's pretty pathetic of both of them (You forgot the first PS3 RPG... Lore or something like that.)

I considered Folklore to be more of an Action RPG. And the 360 has a lot more than FOUR RPGS:

Enchanted Arms
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Oblivion
Mass Effect
Two Worlds
Phantasy Star Universe
Final Fantasy 11

I don't know what the hell they're doing on the RPG front... but at least you can play all the PS1 RPGs (which rank in the millions) and if you have an 80 gig system you can play all the PS2 rpgs.

Good point on PS2/PS1 games, but the bottom line is that the PS3 should really have more some RPG titles in its lineup. It also looks as though the 360 has more RPGs down the road, which is equally troubling for Sony. In the past, I would have bought a PS3 under the assumption that it would have the stronger RPG lineup of the two, but that just isn't the case.

I really think that the technology has made it more difficult to create games with depth. Writing and translating an RPG is hard enough... now they have to worry about programming for the next gen systems (which takes FOREVER now) and THEN writing and translating.

That's really not a good excuse. Yes, the PS3 has bleeding-edge technology in the Cell, but it's the manufacturer's [read: Sony's] responsibility to put out quality dev kits and provide as much support to game developers as possible. They knew they were putting out a very complex piece of hardware, so they need to make sure that game designers are actually able to code for it early on. As we all know, it's quality software that drives hardware sales. It's perhaps the only reason that the 360, a terribly flawed piece of hardware, has sold so well even today.

Personally, I think that the lack of RPGs is due to one of the symptoms of greater multiplatform titles - Microsoft simply has done a much better job of reaching out to developers this time around. Couple that with their less-expensive, user friendly dev kits and you create a strong incentive for even Japanese developers to think outside the box. Again, this is quite perplexing as RPGs were a real source of strength for Sony in the last generation.

deception``

I'm currently playing PS2 RPGs on my PS3 due to the fact that there's so damn many I still haven't completed them all.

I considered Folklore to be more of an Action RPG. And the 360 has a lot more than FOUR RPGS:

Enchanted Arms
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Oblivion
Mass Effect
Two Worlds
Phantasy Star Universe
Final Fantasy 11

That's not "a LOT more than four" rpgs. Especially when you consider Final Fantasy XI was Sony's first hard drive game... on the PS2... SEVEN YEARS AGO. (And, again, if you wanted to play it and you had an 80, 60, or 20 gig PS3... you still could.) Ditto with Phantasy Star Universe... which is really just an updated Phantasy Star Online...which was a damned Dreamcast game. So those two are just sort of tacked on and aren't really "360 games." Not any more than the backwards compatible PS1/PS2 games.

So you're only left with two more RPGs than the PS3. That's not "a LOT more."

Good point on PS2/PS1 games, but the bottom line is that the PS3 should really have more some RPG titles in its lineup. It also looks as though the 360 has more RPGs down the road, which is equally troubling for Sony. In the past, I would have bought a PS3 under the assumption that it would have the stronger RPG lineup of the two, but that just isn't the case.

This much I'll give you credit for.

That's really not a good excuse. Yes, the PS3 has bleeding-edge technology in the Cell, but it's the manufacturer's [read: Sony's] responsibility to put out quality dev kits and provide as much support to game developers as possible. They knew they were putting out a very complex piece of hardware, so they need to make sure that game designers are actually able to code for it early on. As we all know, it's quality software that drives hardware sales. It's perhaps the only reason that the 360, a terribly flawed piece of hardware, has sold so well even today.

Personally, I think that the lack of RPGs is due to one of the symptoms of greater multiplatform titles - Microsoft simply has done a much better job of reaching out to developers this time around. Couple that with their less-expensive, user friendly dev kits and you create a strong incentive for even Japanese developers to think outside the box. Again, this is quite perplexing as RPGs were a real source of strength for Sony in the last generation.

deception``

And here your argument falls apart (AGAIN! For the forty billlllllllllionth time! Muahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! j/k :) )

Microsoft HASN'T reached out to Japanese devs. They DON'T have any incentive for thinking outside the box. They have TWO MORE RPGs than Sony, and those two were made in Europe. I wasn't just saying technology has lead to setbacks on the PS3. I was saying technology has led to setbacks on BOTH systems.

And microsoft doesn't have more RPGs "on the horizon" than Sony does either. They've got Fable and they've got... well... maybe another fable. And another mass effect... then maybe another fable... Sony still has Final Fantasy XIII in the woodworks. And that weird White Knight thing (which, if you're going to say it's an "Action RPG" wasn't Mass Effect one too?)

The 360 is still the worst-selling console in Europe and Asia, and none of its RPGs besides Mass Effect and Oblivion have sold well.

That's not "a LOT more than four" rpgs. Especially when you consider Final Fantasy XI was Sony's first hard drive game... on the PS2... SEVEN YEARS AGO. (And, again, if you wanted to play it and you had an 80, 60, or 20 gig PS3... you still could.) Ditto with Phantasy Star Universe... which is really just an updated Phantasy Star Online...which was a damned Dreamcast game. So those two are just sort of tacked on and aren't really "360 games." Not any more than the backwards compatible PS1/PS2 games.

So you're only left with two more RPGs than the PS3. That's not "a LOT more."

Fair enough, but the same could be said about games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. As fun as it is, it really is just an update to an old Xbox game from 2004...

And here your argument falls apart (AGAIN! For the forty billlllllllllionth time! Muahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! j/k :) )

Microsoft HASN'T reached out to Japanese devs. They DON'T have any incentive for thinking outside the box. They have TWO MORE RPGs than Sony, and those two were made in Europe. I wasn't just saying technology has lead to setbacks on the PS3. I was saying technology has led to setbacks on BOTH systems.

And microsoft doesn't have more RPGs "on the horizon" than Sony does either. They've got Fable and they've got... well... maybe another fable. And another mass effect... then maybe another fable... Sony still has Final Fantasy XIII in the woodworks. And that weird White Knight thing (which, if you're going to say it's an "Action RPG" wasn't Mass Effect one too?)

The 360 is still the worst-selling console in Europe and Asia, and none of its RPGs besides Mass Effect and Oblivion have sold well.

You keep thinking that. The 360 has a nice some nice a JRPGs down the pipe:

Infinite Undiscovery [Square, Exclusive]
Star Ocean 4 [possible exclusive or timed-exclusive, nothing confirmed]
The Last Remnant [multiplatform, first to 360]
Tales of Vesperia [Namco title]

This in addition to games like Fable 2 and Fallout 3

And yes, they have reached out to developers such as Capcom. Look at Dead Rising and Lost Planet as an example - both sold well on the 360 and likely have created new franchises for Capcom to expand on. I know that PS3 users would really enjoy the original or a sequel to Dead Rising. Hell, I think that the realtionship that Capcom has had with Microsoft on those games is part of the large reason that Devil May Cry 4 ended up on the 360, too.

Clearly, lack of sales in Japan and Europe is not hurting Microsoft's ability to attract outside developers to the console. At the very least, they know that there is a market for those games here in the West.

deception``

Fair enough, but the same could be said about games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. As fun as it is, it really is just an update to an old Xbox game from 2004...

You keep thinking that. The 360 has a nice some nice a JRPGs down the pipe:

Infinite Undiscovery [Square, Exclusive]
Star Ocean 4 [possible exclusive or timed-exclusive, nothing confirmed]
The Last Remnant [multiplatform, first to 360]
Tales of Vesperia [Namco title]

This in addition to games like Fable 2 and Fallout 3

And yes, they have reached out to developers such as Capcom. Look at Dead Rising and Lost Planet as an example - both sold well on the 360 and likely have created new franchises for Capcom to expand on. I know that PS3 users would really enjoy the original or a sequel to Dead Rising. Hell, I think that the realtionship that Capcom has had with Microsoft on those games is part of the large reason that Devil May Cry 4 ended up on the 360, too.

Clearly, lack of sales in Japan and Europe is not hurting Microsoft's ability to attract outside developers to the console. At the very least, they know that there is a market for those games here in the West.

deception``

Fallout 3 isn't a 360 exclusive. (In fact its set for a simultaneous release on 10-7-08 http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...eyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=Fallout 3)

And Sony's upcoming RPGs?

# Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Action RPG, Square Enix,
# Final Fantasy XIII, Action RPG (ARPG), Square Enix,
# Free Realms, Persistent Online RPG (PORPG), SOE, Q3 08*
# DC Universe, PORPG, Broadband Only, SOE Austin,
# White Knight Chronicles, RPG, Level-5,
# Disgaea 3,

This in addition to the aforementioned Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 isn't a 360 exclusive. (In fact its set for a simultaneous release on 10-7-08 http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...eyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=Fallout 3)

And Sony's upcoming RPGs?

# Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Action RPG, Square Enix,
# Final Fantasy XIII, Action RPG (ARPG), Square Enix,
# Free Realms, Persistent Online RPG (PORPG), SOE, Q3 08*
# DC Universe, PORPG, Broadband Only, SOE Austin,
# White Knight Chronicles, RPG, Level-5,
# Disgaea 3,

This in addition to the aforementioned Fallout 3.

I didn't mean to imply that Fallout was exclusive, but the context of my sentence certainly didn't help.

Also most of those games listed [excluding Disgaea and Free Realms] won't hit the console until 2009; they could really use some solid RPGs now. Every 360 title listed about comes out this year besides Tales of Vesperia [which looks great, btw].

I personally have no interest whatsoever in online RPGs or strategy RPGs like Disgaea, but I understand that others may have different tastes.

deception``

Back