• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this sound like Hard Drive death?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kleenex

Registered
I came home and my computer had restarted itself. I didn't think much of it until I couldn't access My Documents, and when I checked, one of my hard drives no longer showed up in My Computer.

The drive powers up, and it doesn't make any horrible noises, but the computer doesn't read it. On start up it will show the 'detecting IDE drives' for a second but it doesn't hang there.

I switched it with other drives to rule out a bad cable, but I haven't been able to try it in a different computer yet. The DVDRW drive that was slaved off of this one still works.

Are there any other options besides just moving on and buying another drive? This one is out of warranty so I guess i'm out of luck. I'm not too concerned with Data recovery, I'll loose a little bit of stuff since my last back up that can't be replaced but nothing to freak out over. But I'd like to try everything before giving up.

Thanks

Back