• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doomed & AMD cancels its 2.4GHz Phenom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD losing to Intel reminds me of the late 1990s and the real early 2000s
(unless you're talking about Willamette versus T-bird) when AMD performance was disappointing.
But, AMD was less expensive back then, that's why my first DIY PC was an AMD.

The difference is even when AMD chips were better Intel still had 70% of the market and was making money.
When was the last quarter AMD made a profit?

Intel can afford to "lose" the performance battle, as long as it wins the sales battle.
AMD doesnt have that option.
The Phenom is not as good as the Wolfdale, its barely as good as the C2D and AMD is very possibly going to run out of money before they can release there next line.
AMD died when it bought ATI for cash.

Audio, you could have picked a better title for this thread by leaving Doomed off. I stand for quality of posting threads and an errata is not a dooming situation. Intel has hundreds of them and they are still here. We know people are all gung ho over Intels new toys, thats great and I applaud Intel for the new found Israeli ingenuity but people please stop shutting AMDs doors that just suggestive and makes more garbage on the web for search engines to find. As much as I deplore Intel for it's business practices, I try to be careful with the writing I do. Fold on Bro!

He's on of the founders who started this forum several years ago. He's also forgotten more about computers than you know.

Doesn't make his grammar or journalism good. Heh.

I'll agree with most of what's said here. AMD will come back around, though probably not with their current CEO. I just hope that if the stockholders for some reason do let him run the company completely into the ground that someone steps in and rescues ATI out of it. I've always had the impression that NVIDIA needs competition to behave almost more than Intel does.

Doomed These first Phenoms just don't cut it.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01250

2.4 No More AMD cancels its 2.4GHz Phenom at the last moment.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01249

It's gotta be tough to have waited all this time if you are/were an AMD enthusiast.

I don't see AMD and Intel on a seesaw anymore, but more like AMD on a buzz saw.

Let's hope AMD recovers once Hector gets the boot and the latest cash infusion doesn't get squandered again.

I heard that it wasn't the first time AMD's done this. I believe AMD did this with the T'breds.

Audio, you could have picked a better title for this thread by leaving Doomed off. I stand for quality of posting threads and an errata is not a dooming situation. Intel has hundreds of them and they are still here. We know people are all gung ho over Intels new toys, thats great and I applaud Intel for the new found Israeli ingenuity but people please stop shutting AMDs doors that just suggestive and makes more garbage on the web for search engines to find. As much as I deplore Intel for it's business practices, I try to be careful with the writing I do. Fold on Bro!

Understand that AMD is in deep financial trouble. This goes far deeper than one bad processor launch. This company is, frankly, doomed from a rational financial standpoint.

Back