• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Potential?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
damn! and I thought I did good selling my e6750 for $110 and picking up my e8400 for $110. sorry to say, but whoever you sold that to got ripped. good for you of course, just... wow...

I know, I was hoping for between $50-75. What makes it funnier is that a computer store called Computer Expert bought it for $150...

OP,
I forgot to mention that my E8400 only took a FSB increase to 400MHz to get 3.6GHz, my RAM and MoBo are holding me back.

You should be able to sell your E6600 for more than $45, I sold my E6700 for $150 on eBay...

Yeh I just kinda threw that number out there I am well aware now that I can get more for it. I will probabLY sell it locally on Craigslist since I usually have good luck with it.

I know, I was hoping for between $50-75. What makes it funnier is that a computer store called Computer Expert bought it for $150...

And I am sure they slapped it in a new build and sold it as an "Ultimate Gaming Machine" for way too much. I feel bad for people without basic computer knowledge or price shopping skills lol.

Last edited:
My old C0 E8400 ran 4.05Ghz with 1.225V.... and got upwards of 4.32Ghz with under 1.3V. I was one of the lucky C0's as well, early batch = great OC'ers just like the E0's.

4Ghz no problem, 4.3Ghz within reach, 4.5Ghz is possible, anything more is a shoot in the dark which starts to relay heavily on the motherboard to do 500Mhz+

Just got it in today but I was wondering will that fact that my mobo only handles 1066mhz on the FSB be a problem since this CPU is designed for 1333mhz?

wouldnt worry youve got a p965 chipset .... the best for duallies !
plenty of peeps still running the asus comando , my gig ds4 (965 chipset) wiht no offcial 45nm support did 445 fsb before my ram capped out and then it was running no probs .

Actually the P45 is far better for overclocking than the P965.

It could limit your overclock (and most definately will higher you go).

If you want to go 4 ghz or more, Id suggest picking a P45 board (save money) or go w/ x48 (more, usually not needed unless you want 2x PCIe x16) from the classifieds for under $100.

i have a P5E w/P38 and fixing to get an 8400/8500/8600 something.. anyone got that combo? how will it oc?

thanks doz. got an 8400 in the mail. ive pushed this 6850 to a stable 3.6 on air and im wanting 4.0. the comments on the 8400 8500 and 8600 were useful. i was only concerned that my board would be in the way of a good oc. woohoo now i got big smiles. ill post my results. thanks guys for the astute opinions.

I like my e8400 im working on 4.5 it is just needing a big jump in vcore to get it stable and loads a lot higher than 4.25 does .

I can pull 15k+ in 06 with my e8400/8800gt

yeah the jump mine needs from 4.0 to 4.2 that im at now is quite abit . 4.0 would need under 1.3 im at 1.4 now but the improvemtent o my WC sorted that one .
id say youd be fine to 4.0 on decent pretty easy tbh my chips an early one from feb last year and my p965 handled it fine youl get there !

Just got it in today but I was wondering will that fact that my mobo only handles 1066mhz on the FSB be a problem since this CPU is designed for 1333mhz?

I'm pretty sure that board can handle 1333FSB w/ a BIOS update. I know it can OC well beyond that, so it shouldn't hold you back too much. No strap adjustments, so you just have to keep that in mind as you push higher FSB speeds.

I'm pretty sure that board can handle 1333FSB w/ a BIOS update. I know it can OC well beyond that, so it shouldn't hold you back too much. No strap adjustments, so you just have to keep that in mind as you push higher FSB speeds.

PROBLEM

Just put the chip in and I have updated the BIOS to v2.58 and I am getting strange problems. On first boot it told me overclocking failed so I went into setup to check it out and everything was default so I rebooted then the computer just hanged and nothing showed on the screen. It also says the cpu is running at 2.4GHz??

I turned the PSU off then on then powered the pc on and got the same error so I pressed F2 to load defaults and then got some strange error about spooler subsystem failed and could not see my desktop then I pressed ok and got a BSOD mentioning Bootvid.dll I have no idea what to do. Should I reflash the BIOS? I still have it on flash drive...

Did you try setting what would be the stock settings ? 333x9 the bios might not have a profile for the 45nm cpus

Back