• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Potential?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
id say put your old chip , clear cmos and reflash to what ever the latest bios you can confirm is.
then put the e8400 and manually set up everything , fsb , vcore , mem speed , mem volts the lot set it to run 333 * 4 aka stock , vcore a little over the vid as i noticed your cpuz (not 100% acurate i know) is showing 1.08v which is pretty low

On the Asus forums I was told to try upping the FSB back to 333 but setting my memory at 667mhz and see what happens. I will try to mess around with it a little when I get home if I have time - school and work are killing me :bang head

id say put your old chip , clear cmos and reflash to what ever the latest bios you can confirm is.
then put the e8400 and manually set up everything , fsb , vcore , mem speed , mem volts the lot set it to run 333 * 4 aka stock , vcore a little over the vid as i noticed your cpuz (not 100% acurate i know) is showing 1.08v which is pretty low .
i know my giga with the latest bios was supposed to support gsb 1333 native but would give simalr junk and instability till i got things set right then i maxed out mram ebfore the chip or mobo @4.0.

The BIOS was updated with my E6600 installed. Core Temp reports a temp of 34C for both core with a VID of 1.25

I followed the steps I was told on the Asus forums and upped the fsb to 333while lowering the ram to 667 and encountered the same problem. The screen will say no DVI signal and then nothing ever shows. I have to turn off my psu and then turn it back on and restart the computer it then tells me overclocking failed.

Should I up the voltage to the cpu (it is set to auto now) or lower the mulitplier ( it is at 9x)? I have been told this board usually has a good OC on the FSB. Could my RAM be the problem?

dreamtfk

ive posted about my new (to me) 8400
my P5E already had the 1003 bios update on it
when i put the new chip in everything went back to the original version
i had opened the zip file on a second drive in a folder
when i tried to use the Asus flash utility it couldnt find squat
after several tries using the cd rom and a disk with the new bios (nothing worked) i directed the flash program to the drive letter that the 1003 version was for my mobo
boing! found the bios (that was installed for the e6850) and once again went through the entire install of the 1003 just like it had never been installed

now my machine is running fine on the 1003 bios just like it should without changing anything else

go figure

i hope this will help

waylong

Last edited:
Do they have POTENTIAL?

Look at my sig...

I'm at 4.63ghz @ 1.32v... but I'm TRYIN for 5.

My goal is to hit 5ghz under 1.5v (I have an extremely low VID)

What voltages are you using for the rest of your hardware. Sorry if this seems like a real noob question...as i am not very knowledged when it comes to OC'ing. I have the E8400 myself, and i can't get it to run stable @ 4.00Ghz. Any help would be appreciated!

dreamtfk

ive posted about my new (to me) 8400
my P5E already had the 1003 bios update on it
when i put the new chip in everything went back to the original version
i had opened the zip file on a second drive in a folder
when i tried to use the Asus flash utility it couldnt find squat
after several tries using the cd rom and a disk with the new bios (nothing worked) i directed the flash program to the drive letter that the 1003 version was for my mobo
boing! found the bios (that was installed for the e6850) and once again went through the entire install of the 1003 just like it had never been installed.

Well EZ flash is telling me I have the most current version installed. I dont understand why a manufacturer would say a cpu is supported when the cpu's fsb is greater than that of the motherboard! :confused:

Correct. However, the 965 boards do have a strap adjustment at 400MHz. It is undocumented, but has been confirmed via testing.

Yes, I meant there is no direct control over it in the BIOS. The strap automatically changes at certain FSB speeds, so you can maximize your bandwidth if you push it to a point right before it switches straps. 499 is faster than 500.

Dream,

Pressing F2 is similar to clearing CMOS, so if you get OC failed after a clear CMOS the last thing you want to do is press F2...it won't change anything.

Go in the BIOS at that point and set some things manually. Set your RAM voltage to its spec (this is very important to get it to boot). Set your vcore to 1.3v (for now). Make sure the RAM is 1:1 (should be DDR2-667 when FSB is at 333).

It might be a good idea if you could list all your BIOS options, so we could give more detailed advice.

The BIOS update you did might cover E8400's, but it also might have been before the E0 stepping. Try to see if the BIOS specifically supports E0 stepping CPUs. E8400 C0 and E8400 E0 are 2 different chips. It might still work, though, and it appears it does when downclocked. My P5K-Premium accepted an E0 CPU before the BIOS update was out...it just said the CPU wasn't supported during POST, but it still worked. I didn't have access to the 0.5 multis, and the BIOS temps were reported wrong. We just need to figure out where your problem is. I think its a BIOS setting(s). Default BIOS settings don't always work....especially when mixing old and new hardware.

What is your RAM configuration? If you have 4 sticks, try just using 2 for now.

Well EZ flash is telling me I have the most current version installed. I dont understand why a manufacturer would say a cpu is supported when the cpu's fsb is greater than that of the motherboard! :confused:

EZ Flash is only comparing your installed BIOS to the one you are trying to write over it. It doesn't really know if its the absolute latest one.

When your mobo was released there were no 333FSB CPU's. But your board will easily run at speeds much greater than 266FSB. All that has to happen when a new CPU comes out w/ a higher FSB speed is that the BIOS has more table entries added that include the higher speed, and all the timings that need to be set for that given CPU's microcode.

Your CPU's FSB isn't greater than that of your mobo. Your mobo will do 500+FSB. There isn't a CPU on the market that has that as a default FSB speed. Obviously 500+FSB is an OC'd speed, but your board will do 333 and 400FSB w/ ease, so all that is needed is the proper code in the BIOS so that the CPU will boot up at the correct 333FSB speed automatically. If the code is not in place then there is still a chance it will run fine, but you just have to set the FSB speed manually.

I just got done running Prime95 for 24+ hours on my E8400 C0 clocked at 4.05ghz. This is my first successful overclock. Tried taking an old Celeron 300a up to 450 back in the day but failed and didn't worry about oc'ing again until this chip :)

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P
Corsair XMS 4GB DDR3, TW3X4G1333C9
Coolermaster Hyper N520 cooler (largest I could fit in my Praetorian)

Steve

Edit: Wow, judging from my signature it's been a while since I last posted :)

EZ Flash is only comparing your installed BIOS to the one you are trying to write over it. It doesn't really know if its the absolute latest one.

When your mobo was released there were no 333FSB CPU's. But your board will easily run at speeds much greater than 266FSB. All that has to happen when a new CPU comes out w/ a higher FSB speed is that the BIOS has more table entries added that include the higher speed, and all the timings that need to be set for that given CPU's microcode.

Your CPU's FSB isn't greater than that of your mobo. Your mobo will do 500+FSB. There isn't a CPU on the market that has that as a default FSB speed. Obviously 500+FSB is an OC'd speed, but your board will do 333 and 400FSB w/ ease, so all that is needed is the proper code in the BIOS so that the CPU will boot up at the correct 333FSB speed automatically. If the code is not in place then there is still a chance it will run fine, but you just have to set the FSB speed manually.

Well it doesn't literally tell me that it is the most current version but the version number (1238) it displayed on the screen which is the most up to date as of Feb 11th 2009

Go in the BIOS at that point and set some things manually. Set your RAM voltage to its spec (this is very important to get it to boot). Set your vcore to 1.3v (for now). Make sure the RAM is 1:1 (should be DDR2-667 when FSB is at 333).

It might be a good idea if you could list all your BIOS options, so we could give more detailed advice.

What is your RAM configuration? If you have 4 sticks, try just using 2 for now.

I am so frustrated there is only so many things I can change. How do I know my memory stock voltage? CPUz says it is running a 2:3 ratio. With a fsb of 266 and my memory manually set to 800mhz is the only settings I can use to get the system to boot! I have tried several combinations including upping the cpu voltage at a fsb of 333 and lowering the memory speed and still nothing. :bang head

Is there anyway to unlink the fsb and memory on my board?

Last edited:
The chips themselves have good potential, I don't know about the dell motherboards ability to be able to be or remain stable at 4ghz though.

complete and total crap. I wouldn't buy a dell computer if it was 1 buck.

Well after trying several combinations of different fsb speeds and memory speeds the only configuration that works is downclocking the fsb to 266 which makes me suspect the memory is the problem here. Even putting my memory speed below spec at 667mhz still doesnt let the system boot at 333 fsb. I think one of the sticks may be bad I will try pulling 2 of them out and see what happens.

You have been the 5th or 6th person I have seen having problems with ocz ram, ironically each user has been on an Asus board. This may not be a coincidence. On newegg and some other sites (ocz forums) the people knocking on ocz ram have been on Asus boards as well, so there may be an issue with how they work together.

My board loves the Ocz, an Asus board seems to start having problems with ocz ram before the ocz ram leaves the package. It is as if the ocz ram even being in the general vacinity of an Asus board begins to malfunction the board, then the aliens show up and extract the goodness from the ram.

Seriously speaking, there have been many complaining about ocz ram on Asus boards, just a thought.

I would appreciate that I really want to get this sorted out and move on with my upgrading.. I was planning on doing my video card next once I had a faster CPU speed.

My apologies for taking a few days to post this.

Through CPU-Z, my BIOS date shows as 4/11/08 and the version shows as 1232. I had purchased my E8400 prior to that time, back in late Jan. or early Feb. of 2008 or so, but apparently flashed the BIOS again after that point for some reason. I think it might be related to my switch from XP to Vista. Anyway, this is a ss of the current setup

cpuz.jpg

I also took a shot of the CPU tab. For this shot, I went into the BIOS and set everything to AUTO. As you can see, it correctly identifies the CPU as a 1333MHz bus processor.

cpuz2.jpg

From what I can tell, you're trying to flash to a newer version of the BIOS than what I'm using. That may be the problem.

You have been the 5th or 6th person I have seen having problems with ocz ram, ironically each user has been on an Asus board. This may not be a coincidence. On newegg and some other sites (ocz forums) the people knocking on ocz ram have been on Asus boards as well, so there may be an issue with how they work together.

My board loves the Ocz, an Asus board seems to start having problems with ocz ram before the ocz ram leaves the package. It is as if the ocz ram even being in the general vacinity of an Asus board begins to malfunction the board, then the aliens show up and extract the goodness from the ram.

Seriously speaking, there have been many complaining about ocz ram on Asus boards, just a thought.

I do get occasional blue screen errors (not very often) describing page faults and such which seem like memory errors. I am going to try removing 1 stick at a time and see what happens.

complete and total crap. I wouldn't buy a dell computer if it was 1 buck.

I dislike Dells also and would never, ever buy one. However, I won't knock their mobos. I believe they are usually Intel and you usually don't get any more stable. You also have pretty much no options in the BIOS though so they aren't for me.

I do get occasional blue screen errors (not very often) describing page faults and such which seem like memory errors. I am going to try removing 1 stick at a time and see what happens.

Let us know how it goes with 1 stick at a time doing MemTest, etc.

UPDATE

So I decided to take out 3 of the 4 sticks of memory (1GB each) then cranked the fsb up to 333 and set the memory to 667MHz to be safe and voila it booted up just fine.

cpuzpxl.jpg

I also tried bumping the memory up to 886MHz and it worked as well so it seems that one (or more) of the sticks is holding me back. I am not sure if I should get new memory or just stay with 2GB since I'm sure at least one more of the 3 works. :confused:

Back