• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Potential?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you try setting what would be the stock settings ? 333x9 the bios might not have a profile for the 45nm cpus

Well it says my actual ratio value is set at 9 I do not see an option to change this in the overlcocking menu only the speed. I have noticed my BIOS date is 9/30/08 even thought the latest BIOS I updated and flashed with is dated 2/11/09. When I load the EZ Flash utility and point it to the rom file it says it is the same as what is installed.

Reset CMOS and then make sure your RAM is getting enough voltage and the divider is set properly.

Then check your FSB speed.

Reset CMOS and then make sure your RAM is getting enough voltage and the divider is set properly.

Then check your FSB speed.

I will try those when I get home from work. I also noticed on the boot up screen that it is detecting my RAM as PC-5300 yet it is PC-6400.

I will try those when I get home from work. I also noticed on the boot up screen that it is detecting my RAM as PC-5300 yet it is PC-6400.

That is not important. It's just reading the JDEC spec and reporting it. You should have complete control over your RAM speed/timings in the BIOS.

That is not important. It's just reading the JDEC spec and reporting it. You should have complete control over your RAM speed/timings in the BIOS.

It's just that it never said that before - it always reported PC6400. I have opened a case on the Asus forums as well I do not think clearing the CMOS is going to do it but I am really hoping it will since I have schoolwork to do. :(

I tried clearing CMOS (switching the jumper back and forth) I got the same Overclocking Failed error and pressed F2 to load defaults and see if I could boot into Windows. The windows loading status bar showed up and then a quick blue screen and then the system rebooted. After the reboot nothing showed on screen.

I tried popping out the CMOS battery and now the system will not start at all even though the power LED is lit. :bang head

try opening the bios menu and manually setting the fsb, multi, divider, vcore, vdimm, etc.

if the mobo bios doesn't have a profile for the 45nm, then it may be trying to run the chip with speeds and/or voltages not suited for it.

try opening the bios menu and manually setting the fsb, multi, divider, vcore, vdimm, etc.

if the mobo bios doesn't have a profile for the 45nm, then it may be trying to run the chip with speeds and/or voltages not suited for it.

I have no idea what settings to use. The BIOS update was supposed to support this chip per the ASUS page. The system was completely freezing before and now this - very odd and frustrating.

Much love to you Aztroth - I manually set the cpu frequency to 266 (it was at 333) since the BIOS kept reporting it as 2.4 anyhow and I manually set the ram to 800mhz and now I am able to start up and go straight into windows just fine without any BIOS haults or errors.

Now I need to find out what is causing the cpu to not be recognized and I am thinking the BIOS update had something to do with it. Here is a screen of what CpuZ is telling me...

screenshotuln.jpg

Last edited:
Just got it in today but I was wondering will that fact that my mobo only handles 1066mhz on the FSB be a problem since this CPU is designed for 1333mhz?

This was my worry before I ordered the chip and this is a reply from a user on another forum regarding my problems.

"OP, what motherboard do you have...? maybe the FSB is only 1066 for your motherboard so the cpu is clocked down to 2.4ghz, it may also only support up to 667mhz DDR2 so the memory may be clocked down as well... an E8400 at stock speeds (3.0ghz) usually runs at 333mhz quad pumped for a 1333mhz FSB, if the FSB is limited to 1066mhz it'll run 266mhz instead of 333mhz, add the 9x (266) multiplier and that's 2.4ghz..."

yes... it will greatly limit your overclock. usually...

Actually the P45 is far better for overclocking than the P965.

It could limit your overclock (and most definately will higher you go).

If you want to go 4 ghz or more, Id suggest picking a P45 board (save money) or go w/ x48 (more, usually not needed unless you want 2x PCIe x16) from the classifieds for under $100.

I do not mean this disrespectfully, but you two do not know what you're talking about. Maybe you're discounting the 965 because it is an older chipset. The Asus P5B Deluxe is known for massive FSB speeds, as are other high end 965 boards. They can get into the 470-500MHz range routinely, and some even eclipse that range. So, even though they were never spec'd to run at 1333MHz it is no problem for them. A solid 965 board like the P5B Deluxe will not limit the overclock of an E8xxx series processor.

I'm pretty sure that board can handle 1333FSB w/ a BIOS update. I know it can OC well beyond that, so it shouldn't hold you back too much. No strap adjustments, so you just have to keep that in mind as you push higher FSB speeds.

Correct. However, the 965 boards do have a strap adjustment at 400MHz. It is undocumented, but has been confirmed via testing.

This was my worry before I ordered the chip and this is a reply from a user on another forum regarding my problems.

"OP, what motherboard do you have...? maybe the FSB is only 1066 for your motherboard so the cpu is clocked down to 2.4ghz, it may also only support up to 667mhz DDR2 so the memory may be clocked down as well... an E8400 at stock speeds (3.0ghz) usually runs at 333mhz quad pumped for a 1333mhz FSB, if the FSB is limited to 1066mhz it'll run 266mhz instead of 333mhz, add the 9x (266) multiplier and that's 2.4ghz..."

I have an E8400 and run it on a P5B Deluxe. The post you quoted is bad speculation. The P5B Deluxe will in fact natively support 1333MHz processors as long as you flash to the latest bios, and it most definitely supports memory speeds above DDR2 667MHz.

I never experienced errors like you are when I set up my computer a year ago. I think perhaps you flashed to the wrong bios version, or the flash did not take. I recommend you re-flash. After you flash, you'll want to clear the CMOS before you boot up the first time. The initial post screen should show your CPU as 3.0GHz with a 1333MHz bus speed.

It might help if you flash the bios with a different CPU installed. When I did mine, I put an E6300 in the socket. Then I installed the E8400.

I do not mean this disrespectfully, but you two do not know what you're talking about. Maybe you're discounting the 965 because it is an older chipset. The Asus P5B Deluxe is known for massive FSB speeds, as are other high end 965 boards. They can get into the 470-500MHz range routinely, and some even eclipse that range. So, even though they were never spec'd to run at 1333MHz it is no problem for them. A solid 965 board like the P5B Deluxe will not limit the overclock of an E8xxx series processor.

this may be, but it doesn't change the fact that the p45 as well as a couple other chipsets will allow to go much further than that. so yes, it will limit him.

I never experienced errors like you are when I set up my computer a year ago. I think perhaps you flashed to the wrong bios version, or the flash did not take. I recommend you re-flash. After you flash, you'll want to clear the CMOS before you boot up the first time. The initial post screen should show your CPU as 3.0GHz with a 1333MHz bus speed.

It might help if you flash the bios with a different CPU installed. When I did mine, I put an E6300 in the socket. Then I installed the E8400.

I have reflashed 2 times already and the first time was with my E6600 installed this is strange indeed. I noted in my post on the Asus forums that it shows my current BIOS with a date of 9/30/2008 even though the latest BIOS is dated 2/11/2009 but I got a reply saying that the BIOS dates are ok -it took a good while until the BIOS was made official (whatever that means). He also said this:

With a CPU Frequency of 333 MHz, you have only two possible options for DRAM Frequency using your memory PC2-6400 (DDR2-800):
- DDR2-667MHz (FSB : DRAM = 1:1)
- DDR3-833MHz (FSB : DRAM = 4:5)

this may be, but it doesn't change the fact that the p45 as well as a couple other chipsets will allow to go much further than that. so yes, it will limit him.

This statement is simply not true. 470MHz, which practically every P5B Deluxe can achieve, translates into a clock speed of nearly 4.3GHz. Some E8400's can not run that fast on air with a reasonable voltage. And the odds are the P5B Deluxe in question will surpass 500MHz with relative ease, which would push the E8400 beyond 4.5GHz.

I'm speaking from experience, not guestimating. It is likely the memory or CPU will max out before the P5B does.

I have reflashed 2 times already and the first time was with my E6600 installed this is strange indeed. I noted in my post on the Asus forums that it shows my current BIOS with a date of 9/30/2008 even though the latest BIOS is dated 2/11/2009 but I got a reply saying that the BIOS dates are ok -it took a good while until the BIOS was made official (whatever that means). He also said this:

With a CPU Frequency of 333 MHz, you have only two possible options for DRAM Frequency using your memory PC2-6400 (DDR2-800):
- DDR2-667MHz (FSB : DRAM = 1:1)
- DDR3-833MHz (FSB : DRAM = 4:5)

OK, first on the memory speed issue. At 333MHz it is correct that there are only two options - 1:1 and 4:5. With processors that have a 266MHz native bus speed you have more options, but those won't apply to this case.

As soon as I get home tonight I'll jump on my rig and post what my BIOS date and version are. It is possible, although unlikely, that the stepping of your E8400 is causing problems. I have the older C0 stepping. From the screenie you posted earlier, I see that you got the new E0 stepping. I suppose there could also be differences in our P5B Deluxe revisions.

I suppose there could also be differences in our P5B Deluxe revisions.

There was 2 at least 2 P5B Deluxe revisions if not mistaken. Mostly changed some cap layouts or something like that wasn't anything really changing the board function that I could remember.

I know my P5B got my old E6420 to 3.76Ghz and was able. Course the CPU wasn't totally stable but it did do it.

OK, first on the memory speed issue. At 333MHz it is correct that there are only two options - 1:1 and 4:5. With processors that have a 266MHz native bus speed you have more options, but those won't apply to this case.

As soon as I get home tonight I'll jump on my rig and post what my BIOS date and version are. It is possible, although unlikely, that the stepping of your E8400 is causing problems. I have the older C0 stepping. From the screenie you posted earlier, I see that you got the new E0 stepping. I suppose there could also be differences in our P5B Deluxe revisions.

I would appreciate that I really want to get this sorted out and move on with my upgrading.. I was planning on doing my video card next once I had a faster CPU speed.

X38 will clock just fine. I wouldnt worry about it. You *should* be able to hit 4ghz with ease.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=538966

doz..

my 8400 came in from newegg and after a little dance with the bios it is running smoothly although a bit warmer than the 6850 but the Zalamn 9700 is doing a great job keeping the temps down. ive included a link for you to look over. ive not changed any settings other than the fsb.

thank you again for your input

waylong

Last edited:
It seems almost as if the BIOS update didn't take effect. The Asus forums are telling me the E8400 is supported with the latest BIOS so it shouldn't have to downclock the FSB to get it to work.

Last edited:
id say put your old chip , clear cmos and reflash to what ever the latest bios you can confirm is.
then put the e8400 and manually set up everything , fsb , vcore , mem speed , mem volts the lot set it to run 333 * 4 aka stock , vcore a little over the vid as i noticed your cpuz (not 100% acurate i know) is showing 1.08v which is pretty low .
i know my giga with the latest bios was supposed to support gsb 1333 native but would give simalr junk and instability till i got things set right then i maxed out mram ebfore the chip or mobo @4.0.

Back