• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMERGENCY: Is My Q9400 Overheating... What Can I Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What temperature can an Intel CPU reach before it starts to stop working?

It will self throttle at either 95 or 105C depending on the architecture

Hey guys, my Intel Q9400 CPU now can only reach 90% when under full load in Task Manager.

Does anyone know why???

Are you throttling because of temperature? What are you using for load?? Details would be extremely helpful...

Are you throttling because of temperature? What are you using for load?? Details would be extremely helpful...

I'm not sure?

How can I check if it's throttling because of the CPU temperature?

EDIT:

The App I've been using to put the CPU under load is called "prime95"

Last edited:
Well, check the temps and report back... I think those throttle around 72C or something? I believe we told you in May in this thread as well...

What is "full load"?

Come on man... answers the questions as asked so we can efficiently help. Also, use the tools we gave you to succeed...

Well, check the temps and report back... I think those throttle around 72C or something? I believe we told you in May in this thread as well...

What is "full load"?

Come on man... answers the questions as asked so we can efficiently help. Also, use the tools we gave you to succeed...

Sorry bro!

I'm using the app "prime95" to put the CPU under load and I'm using the app "HWMonitor" to measure the CPU's temperature.

Ok soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what were your max temps? And then refer to the limit we mentioned earlier in the thread...report back.

I'm using prime95 to put the CPU under full load.

EDIT:

The Q9400 CPU has been under full load for at least 20minutes now and it still only reaches 90% in Task Manager.

HWMonitor is telling me the CPU is at 81C.

Is it possible that Task Manager is giving me inaccurate numbers?

Task Manager giving me inaccurate numbers is a big concern for me... :eek:

Well, let's be pragmatic: it is a 10+ years old CPU, plus or minus 10% in load won't be of any improvement in any current application.

You really should not worry about it and spend time on more entertaining/interesting/fulfilling things!

My 2 cents though...

Well, let's be pragmatic: it is a 10+ years old CPU, plus or minus 10% in load won't be of any improvement in any current application.

You really should not worry about it and spend time on more entertaining/interesting/fulfilling things!

My 2 cents though...

That's good advice!

But since my CPU was first released in 2009 I want to try and get as much performance as I can from it.

I'm also wanting to overclock it in the future so I want to get this problem fixed.

That's good advice!

But since my CPU was first released in 2009 I want to try and get as much performance as I can from it.

I'm also wanting to overclock it in the future so I want to get this problem fixed.
No offense, but you can overclock it as much as you want, the gain in performance is not worth the hassle as it already more than outdated. Still good for a HTPC, or internet browsing, but nothing else unfortunately...

IPC per clock is one third of current Gen CPU, and it is clocked 2GHz lower.

Seriously, don't waste any more time: retire it to a browsing/HTPC rig, or a retro gaming machine, but whatever you squeeze out of it, it will be way underperforming for current applications/tasks.

My 2 cents (that makes 4!). ;)

No offense, but you can overclock it as much as you want, the gain in performance is not worth the hassle as it already more than outdated. Still good for a HTPC, or internet browsing, but nothing else unfortunately...

IPC per clock is one third of current Gen CPU, and it is clocked 2GHz lower.

Seriously, don't waste any more time: retire it to a browsing/HTPC rig, or a retro gaming machine, but whatever you squeeze out of it, it will be way underperforming for current applications/tasks.

My 2 cents (that makes 4!). ;)

Thanks, but I still want to try and get my CPU running to 100% capacity.

EarthDog, Good point!

However, before I overclock this Intel Q9400 I want to get it working at 100% capacity.

Does anyone know why it's only able to reach 90% in Task Manager?

Without any information from you... no. Glad to now *think* I understand what you mean by "100%"...

What are you doing when it is hitting 90%? Have you tried a stress test on it? Confirmed the result with other applications???

EDIT: This is like Groundhog's day with you, LOL, but weeks later you come back and start it over, lol!!

I see Prime 95 now...

Ok, so I saw this: The Q9400 CPU has been under full load for at least 20minutes now and it still only reaches 90% in Task Manager.

HWMonitor is telling me the CPU is at 81C.

What did the guide state max temps were? What does Realtemp or Coretemp says temps are????

Last edited:
Back