• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMERGENCY: Is My Q9400 Overheating... What Can I Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your replies are much appreciated!

I followed the advice and changed the CPU multiplier in my BIOS to "optimize defaults" and it appears the CPU multiplier is at x8 now.

What's the best way for me to check that the Intel Q9400 is running fine?

Wingman, how can you be so sure that my Intel Q9400 will last a very long time?

Your replies are much appreciated!

I followed the advice and changed the CPU multiplier in my BIOS to "optimize defaults" and it appears the CPU multiplier is at x8 now.

What's the best way for me to check that the Intel Q9400 is running fine?

Just use it. If it behaves normally then no worry. Did you check temps to see if they are lower?

Thanks!

It's been a few days now and my Intel Q9400 CPU seems to be running great still!

I've watched it reach 90% in Task Manager under 'CPU usage' so it's definitely working at a higher value than before when it was couldn't go above 73%.

CPU temperatures appear to be about the same, BUT it's been very cold here recently so I don't know how much this affects the CPU temperature???

Thanks!

I forgot to say:

Since setting the Intel Q9400 back to 2.66Ghz it's also been colder in the room where my PC is located so it's been about 10-20 degrees Celsius colder.

The room or the cpu is 10-20C colder? Whatever the answer may be, congratulations on getting the performance you are looking for from your cpu

Sorry the room is 10-20 degrees Celsius colder so I thought this would effect the CPU's temperature as well?

I'm just being courteous by letting everyone who helped me know that the CPU is running great at its original stock speed, which is 2.66Ghz.

Sorry the room is 10-20 degrees Celsius colder so I thought this would effect the CPU's temperature as well?

I'm just being courteous by letting everyone who helped me know that the CPU is running great at its original stock speed, which is 2.66Ghz.

Great! Thanks for keeping us posted! :thup:

It is fine. My i7 3615QM runs at 105 Degrees celsius for hours with no issues except throttling. Unless your hitting high 90's there should be no problems with overheating/throttling

Wow!

105 degrees Celsius? Are you SERIOUS???:eek:

I thought the CPU would start melting at 100 degrees Celsius?

My fans broke so i just removed them. Haven't replaced thermal paste since i got it over 3 years ago. Intel CPU's are seriously resilient to heat. At first i was scared that the solder would melt. But i searched it up and it melts at around 180 celsius so i figured it was ok. I got curious on what temps it would run at so i left it to mine cryptonote (not efficient but i was testing temps) overnight. Didn't get any problems, but ended up with the Cpu Core 3 (which is always hottest) at 104/5 and the others around 100.

My fans broke so i just removed them. Haven't replaced thermal paste since i got it over 3 years ago. Intel CPU's are seriously resilient to heat. At first i was scared that the solder would melt. But i searched it up and it melts at around 180 celsius so i figured it was ok. I got curious on what temps it would run at so i left it to mine cryptonote (not efficient but i was testing temps) overnight. Didn't get any problems, but ended up with the Cpu Core 3 (which is always hottest) at 104/5 and the others around 100.

That is good to know. How long has it been running without a CPU fan?

Back