• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow nice!

My 1st 100k took me Ages of folding to reach LOL
That was back in the early days of the Althlon 64 when I was running an OC'd Opteron :)

Today's machines pack an Incredible amount of processing power and Charge through the Points by comparison!

At one point I had about 11 machines folding 24/7 and on really Good days I was getting 9.5k PPD xD

I shut down my computer a couple days ago and after restarting the F@H client it gets stuck on 'connecting'. What should I do?!

EDIT: Never mind, got it working :p

Last edited:
all my 120mm fans are on 100% whenever im at work. leave my pc folding for about 10-11hours.
i wanted to add 2 more 120mm fan to my corsair h100 but i think i need to cut off some of the RAM heatsink to fit it. i lack of about 5-10mm clearance to fit 2 fans.
is it possible to cutoff the heatsinks of corsair vengeance ?

I'd hesitate to cut them off - metal flakes and such around electronics and the heat and actual strain on the silicon itself, could be real trouble.

Three ideas:

1) See if you can adjust (slide) the 120 fan upward, so it clears the memory heat spreader.

2) See if you can adjust a 92mm fan to fit on the side next to the memory, instead of a 120mm.

3) What I've seen done is carefully heating up the heat spreader with a hair dryer, which should cause the glue that holds the heatsink onto the ram, to lose most of it's grip. So heat and gently pull on the heat spreader at the same time, with a pair of pliers. You should have to work it free. If it's too easy to remove it, you're getting the heat spreader too hot. If you can't make any progress with pulling it free by wriggling it around after repeated attempts, then it's not hot enough.

You have to accept the fact that you might destroy the stick of RAM. As much as possible, treat it gently after removing it from the slot, and be persistent and use a good sense of "touch". Don't try and muscle it off.

Thanks adak. Im thinking about transferring the h100 from top mount to bottom. Cause the bottom would fit 4fans. What do you think about that?

You're talking about the h100 radiator and fan assembly?

Ideally, you'd want that at the top since the hot air from the radiator, will be released there with greatest efficiency to overall cooling.

I bought one air HSF that had heat pipes that took a downturn before they went back up again. My thumb was a better cooler for the cpu.

Hot air does not want to go down - it only want to go UP, and once it's hot, you don't want it to then have to travel the height of your case before it's vented out of the case.

Having said that, air currents can be quite tricky, and the only way to discover the right way to do some arranging in your case, is to experiment, and MEASURE the results - because so often what is thought to be right, and seems like it would have to be correct, is found to not hold up in a particular instance, when tested out.

So I redid my h100 and did a push going out top. And had to re apply paste. I use tg2 and now im stuck on 40c-50c. . . Reaplied 3x re mounted also. Any advice ?

my idle temp is stuck to 40-50c i dont have any idea how to fix it. i re applied thermal paste/tim 3x peanut , line , and thin layer full spread

Last edited:
Aside from general "more air flow", and use a good HSF and paste, there isn't much more to be said, without knowing all the specifics, and having a picture or drawing with the data. That can best be done in the Cooling forum. They will need all the specifics however, to be really helpful.

Ambient air temp around the PC, speed of the fans, and the above mentioned pic or graph, showing what the temps are, where, inside the case. Everything comes into play. For example, you could have a great exhaust fan set up, but it won't help if the air intake isn't able to match it.

I idle at ≈43°C, and I don't see a problem with that. (This is set for full power and no energy savings, because it folds 24/7).

3X the size of a peanut would be too much TIM for an i7. About twice the size of a pea works well for me. A very thin layer, that covers the heatcover of the cpu, is all you want.

I haven't had a cpu that idled at 30°C for years and years. What are your temps when you're folding?

@Adak i think its back to normal now im currently folding withit. and the temps is 60-65c highest ive ever seen cause before it was 58-63c maybe my ambient temps is high. . .
ill report back when any changes occurs after few hours. . .

Back