• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Factory bent pins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chifte

Registered
Just a couple days ago I built an Intel rig, my MSI Z77 when I took off the plastic plate right out of the box had 3 bent pins near the middle. I continued the installation anyway figuring I haven't had an Intel rig in 12 years and maybe they're just extra pins that don't matter.

Hasn't caused any problem, I just want to know if it's supposed to be like that, found it odd.

+1 again for return, If you ever have to RMA it they will blame the bent pins on you even if you aren't at fault.

If you can, take a nice clear close-up pic. of the socket showing the bent pins. Then depending on the severity, we can give you a better idea on whether you should RMA the board, or try bending the pins straight. I've always had good luck using either a needle, or something like a credit card slid between two adjacent rows of pins, depending on the distance between rows.

Well, now that I know they're not supposed to be like that not so sure what I want to do. You've all made my afternoon more interesting! If I get time in the next couple days I'll take it apart and post a picture.

I'm curious if I should be very worried? I prime95 all my new builds and it hasn't had a hiccup.

+
++

The two on the left are bent to the left, and the third is bent to the left and just under the bottom second and slightly twisted as depicted in my art above.

If it works, it works.
If it concerns you I would approach the company about an RMA for the bent pins. My guess is that they'll blame you for it and refuse RMA.

The pins on LGA sockets are so close to each other and so many that sometimes it causes your eyes to find them bent.

Could you provide a picture or something ? So that we can just be 100% sure that the pins are bent..

Back