• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fallout 3 Tips/Tricks/Questions thread (if you guys add to it)*spoilers* maybe inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Fallout 3 Tips/Tricks/Questions thread (if you guys add to it)*spoilers* maybe inside

Hi guys!

Well I wanted to start like an official thread just to talk about the game, not so much the bugs about the game. But more along the lines of strats you found to work well, or cool things you found out in the game going the evil route or the good route.

There was some good ones in the original Fallout 3 thread but there were also bug questions and crash questions in the mix.

So to start it off.

This is how I went:

Blew up Megatron town or whatever.
Got a sweet Room in Penny tower.
Now heres the cool thing, you can buy stuff for your house. Like a lab where you can build guns, a medical lab where you can heal your addictions or messed up limbs (So basically you have your own medical department there constantly), you can buy a juke box and nuka cola machine. You can also buy THEMES for your room, very cool.
Also a guy down on the first floor sells good weapons, missle laucnhers, good assult riffles etc.

My Stats are VERY EVIL. From stealing and blowing up a town. But now that I'm already this evil, I might just kill a lot of people and take their stuff.

Also if you went good, you can go into Penny Tower, and KILL EVERYONE IN there. You actually get good karma for killing Mr. Penny and you can steal his sweet sniper rifle, problem is finding more ammo for it.

I didn't kill everyone in Penny Tower though, I read it on another website. I don't want to ruin my room/bonsues of Penny tower by killing that guy for a sniper rifle.

But there is also another option. You can go to the metro by penny tower and find 2 gouls, they want you to help them break into penny tower. You have to steal a key and then hack into a computer system. Its NOT WORTH IT. You get like a good karma nd like 320xp but those gouls KILL everyone and you no longer have a room or anything.

So far my 50 points in Barter and Speach hasn't helped me that much but from what i heard from another poster, I guess its who I'm talking too.

Right now I'm at the radio tower where you meet the brother hood of steal, you'll remember these guys from Fallout 1 and 2.

I have a question for the people who already made it that far: If you have good karma points, do you get to join their gang? I tried and she said No. I didnt even have a chance to try to persuade her.

I have both a good and evil toon. Both of them were told they were not hiring so I dont think you can.

Very cool thanks jstustman!

Also I had another question. I have my small gun skills up to about 40, if I keep increasing these skills, does it just make the gun more accurate? or does it also increase the damage?

Because I saw one guy, he said he had like small guns maxed out and I saw videos of him 1 shotting Super mutants with a rifle. Rifles are only like 29 damage, so that confused me.

I blew up the town and made Ten Penny Tower my home, till I saw the old man with the Combat Shotgun...i shut is door...made sure he went down in 1 hit, man this guy was loaded. His safe even has a Mini Nuke.

I did good things all the time, no evil things at all, and i couldnt join them either.

The small guns attributes make them more powerful and more accurate, but you can also get a perk that makes you more accurate as well... Maybe he had both. I only go for small guns cos i prefer hand-guns - it saves on ammo just shooting one at a time. That of the combat shotgun. That thing is super powerful.

You shouldnt go for the head if they have head-armor on (obvious) - and i did notice some baddies get hurt more if you shoot them in different places. Like scorpions get hurt a lot if you shoot them in the tail, etc...

I approached the dude in the saloon - and he asked me to blow up that nuke, and i said no, told the sheriff/mayor and he went with me to arrest him - the dude killed the sheriff/mayor so i killed him (the guy who wants to blow up megaton) and i got good karma. He told me people would come after me before i shot him in the head with a combat shotgun.

I have been to the radio tower, repaired the radio, etc.. Been to save Lucy's bro - that part gets good - you should do that mission - good stuff happens. And thats about it...

I want to know how to train in power armour.. If anyone knows....

SPOILER!!! - If you are starting out - go to the ammo shop in megaton and do the super duper mall mission (or whatever its called) - there is tons of 10mm ammo /medical supplies there to get you going.

cool thanks for the info.

I just randomly found the superduper mart and killed everyone in it, didn't reralize there as a mission hah

zig you mean you killed the main guy at Ten Penny? If you kill him do you still get to live there or no?

Oh no, not Mr. Tenpenny, some other old guy who lives in the middle of the building. He is the only one with a safe. At least I think so

So, What's the best way to get to the National Archives so I can snag the Declaration of Independence, I tried wandering the streets and have had no luck, And so far no luck with a subway route.

I really want to play this game but I need a good video card :( and I ain't got no spending money.

I'm so mad, I went all the way to the Museum and i ran of out stim packs! so I have no way to get health!

Am I going to have to travel all the way back to like a salesman to buy stim packs? Isn't there any one who has anything to sell at the radio station?

When you unlock places you can fast travel between them. So you have to travel to a place at least once.
Edit: Damn you ziggo

for lock picking, hacking etc good ol trial and errors works, just save the game before trying and load again if it doesn't work out

in megatron go to bar and talk to leo (i think so that's his name) he is the one with drug addiction, go inside and hack his computer and you can open the safe and get 300 caps

yah for hacking, what i found what works best is just stop before your trys are up. Randomly guessing is the fastest way I found to hack a system hah.

I finally made it! Now i'm in rivet city, the city that is a big boat! I never thought I would make it. Whatever you do STOCK UP ON STIM PACKS.

Anyone know how you can get a pet dog to help you in battle? In the videos of fallout 3, you always see a dog besides the guy. I also heard you can get like NPC's to come with you and carry your stuff.

Also i heard to get trained in the power armor, once u do the job for that radio guy, if you talk to one fo the brothers of steal, he says you can talk to some guy by the lab to get trained. But I have no idea where the lab was at in the building.

Last edited:
Yeah. If you go to the scrapyard, which is located north-north west of the RobCo factory / west of Vault 101; you can get a dog. He'll help you fight a bunch of raiders, so don't kill him when he's attacking the raiders with you. Because I almost had mistaken him for one of the raiders dogs at first.

I went there and to the RobCo Factory, and at the RobCo factory, there's a salesman that sells robots. I was kind of reluctant to buy one at first, because it was 1,000 caps, but after I did, I was glad I did. Because the Robot is probably the biggest help I could ask for. It's equipped with several weapons like a flame-thrower and some kind of laser, and it also has a storage unit. You can also interact with the robot and choose the distance, whether you want him to be right next to you or way back where it can flank the enemies.

The dog is a big help, too. The dog has a dumb name (Dog Meat) but the dog will look for supplies for you if you tell him to. And you can praise or scold the dog upon any action. Like, dog meat protected me from radroaches and raiders and I praised him, but when he attacked a super mutant, I scolded him. Now he attack radroaches and raiders and creatures like that but is more reluctant to attack Super Mutants.

And, to all of the people that blew up Megaton, that was kind of a bad move on your part. Because you'll end up making more money doing quests for the people in the town and by helping one woman out, you'll get radiation poisoning but when she heals you, you get an upgrade. Now my players crippled limbs slowly regenerate.

And I highly advise people to create their character with high intelligence and charisma, along with Scientific, Explosive and Repair skill. Because without it, you can't get the robots in the RobCo factory, which there's a mission from the woman inside Megaton that I have to go out there and reactivate them, but if you have 50 scientific skill, you can hack them and get them on your side. But since my player only had 50 scientific skill, and right before I activated all the robots, I accidentally drank some vodka and I wasn't able to control the robots. So, the robot that I bought from the trader had to help me fight a bunch of robots off. And that was very difficult. Even more difficult than fighting super mutants with miniguns. Plus, the skills that I mentioned above apply to many other situations.

This game is great, I love it. And I love how you can do whatever you want. I'm nice to the people inside Megaton, but outside I trade with traders and then I kill them and take their stuff and sell them to the people of Megaton. So if I were you, I wouldn't blow up Megaton. Because there's so many sidequests in there that are really beneficial.

Yeah. If you go to the scrapyard, which is located south of Minefield and directly north of Super Duper Mart, you can get a dog. He'll help you fight a bunch of raiders, so don't kill him when he's attacking the raiders with you. Because I almost had mistaken him for one of the raiders dogs at first.

I went there and to the RobCo Factory, and at the RobCo factory, there's a salesman that sells robots. I was kind of reluctant to buy one at first, because it was 1,000 caps, but after I did, I was glad I did. Because the Robot is probably the biggest help I could ask for. It's equipped with several weapons like a flame-thrower and some kind of laser, and it also has a storage unit. You can also interact with the robot and choose the distance, whether you want him to be right next to you or way back where it can flank the enemies.

The dog is a big help, too. The dog has a dumb name (Dog Meat) but the dog will look for supplies for you if you tell him to. And you can praise or scold the dog upon any action. Like, dog meat protected me from radroaches and raiders and I praised him, but when he attacked a super mutant, I scolded him. Now he attack radroaches and raiders and creatures like that but is more reluctant to attack Super Mutants.

And, to all of the people that blew up Megaton, that was kind of a bad move on your part. Because you'll end up making more money doing quests for the people in the town and by helping one woman out, you'll get radiation poisoning but when she heals you, you get an upgrade. Now my players crippled limbs slowly regenerate.

And I highly advise people to create their character with high intelligence and charisma, along with Scientific, Explosive and Repair skill. Because without it, you can't get the robots in the RobCo factory, which there's a mission from the woman inside Megaton that I have to go out there and reactivate them, but if you have 50 scientific skill, you can hack them and get them on your side. But since my player only had 50 scientific skill, and right before I activated all the robots, I accidentally drank some vodka and I wasn't able to control the robots. So, the robot that I bought from the trader had to help me fight a bunch of robots off. And that was very difficult. Even more difficult than fighting super mutants with miniguns. Plus, the skills that I mentioned above apply to many other situations.

This game is great, I love it. And I love how you can do whatever you want. I'm nice to the people inside Megaton, but outside I trade with traders and then I kill them and take their stuff and sell them to the people of Megaton. So if I were you, I wouldn't blow up Megaton. Because there's so many sidequests in there that are really beneficial.
I accidentally gave the wrong location for the Scrapyard. I was thinking of Evergreen Mills when I posted this. I fixed it in the quote above.

Back