• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fickle setup helprequired.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Amen on staying away from side cover fans. If they blow hard enough to reach from the side panel to the level of the motherboard, there is no way they have n0t disrupted air-flow in, up and out of the case.

My personal experience is that side panel fans often do more harm than good because they interrupt the overall flow pattern of air moving from front down low to back up high. It's much better to position a spot fan down at motherboard level. I buy 50mm fans just for this purpose as they are small enough to fit in tight places. I adhere them to heatsinks or otherb board components with double-sided adhesive strips that you can buy in any hardware store. I put a piece of the adhesive strip on the fan housing hub or the side of the frame.

I tend to aree with you two on the side panel fans but in some cases they're necessary IMO to get enough cool air into the case. The OP has only one intake ATM and depending on his HD setup may not be able to mount another in the front. But he has four sucking air out of the case if you include the GPU and PSU. Also he has no fan/hs in the centre of his board pushing air towards the back to continue the flow. I feel that one mounted on the side will supply some much needed cool air for his rad and socket.

I like case side fans on my rigs but, looking at what trents just posted I may have to change my ways.
and they just look so darn cool......

go look at the pic trents posted in post #40. those look cool.

Last edited:
I had to put one on my current setup just for my Gfx card. It was getting choked cause my case is set up backwards right now. In from the rear and out through the rad in the front. And ya I got a blu one and it is cool matches everything else nicely.

I always like the way those 50mm fans fit in the picture of you case. This FatLady I am using right now has a ridge running across the top that reduces in size as it moves from one end to the other. Pretty good attachment point at one end but zero towards the other end.

Would have to do some thinking about this VRM sink. However even with the beeg-azz Vcore C_D had me put on his FX-6300 to get a CPUz Validation, I did not feel the heat coming off the VRMs like I did on the CHV. Not yet sure how to understand that.

I just know I like your shot of air off the HSF to the exhaust at the rear of the case without something blowing air across that path with your 50mm fans down and out of the way.
RGone...

My personal experience is that side panel fans often do more harm than good because they interrupt the overall flow pattern of air moving from front down low to back up high. It's much better to position a spot fan down at motherboard level. I buy 50mm fans just for this purpose as they are small enough to fit in tight places. I adhere them to heatsinks or otherb board components with double-sided adhesive strips that you can buy in any hardware store. I put a piece of the adhesive strip on the fan housing hub or the side of the frame.

Yeah, it just so happens the arrangement of components on my motherboard allowed me to adhere them to the heat sinks which, fortunately had some flat areas on them to facilitate that. Won't work as good in every scenario with other boards and cases but the fans casn also be adhered to those little I/0 component housings or to the backside of a video card in some situations.

So i bought 2x 120mm fans today after work and set them up on my side panel then i came into this thread.....

Ran prime 4097ghz =241x 17.0
same temps and vrm cut off as my last post at that speed from the day before w/o those two fans. So i guess side fans don't help at that heat level. I am wondering if i should move one to the top for exhaust and if i can fit another intake down at the front bottom, move the other one there. Might have to do some re-configuring.

Last edited:
Strengthen the intake and exhaust components of air flow, especially the exhaust. Intake, when when pushing harder than exhaust encounters resistance to flow.

I was hoping that might help some although your idea of adding one in the front and another for exhaust is more work but also more ideal.:thup: . One thing that I did if you have room between your mobo and side panel is to attach a 50mm fan to to the H/S retention bracket like so
Capturefan.PNG It dropped my socket temp by 12º :clap:

Now that is a great idea. Is it blowing away or onto the bracket?

Contrary to popular opinion I have it blowing directly onto the CPU socket and no vents on the side of my case. It just gets some good airflow behind the mobo. I had it fall off a couple times :bang head and could always tell immediately when I was testing. Had to improve my adhesive technique now it stays put. :thup:

That's great but it doesn't really cool VRM area which is a critical component.

Last edited:
Hi trents, is the vrm area basicly the north-bridge heatsink? If so i might get creative with a home made cooling solution.

Agreed but where does the throttle control get it's sensor info from ?

Agreed but where does the throttle control get it's sensor info from ?

Good question and I'm not sure. There may be sensors in and around the socket including the VRM area. And it may differ from board to board. And package temp is not a directly measured temp from the CPU die but a calculated value based on input from the on-die sensor together with one or more board sensors, at least that's my understanding.

When I was having heat issues I put dryer vents on my rear fans which were pulling air in and pointed them directly at the VRM ( Bassnuts idea) but it was the chipset fan I put in the back that made the biggest difference. Mind you I wasn't having a throttling issue either. The OP's socket temp is almost 20º above the package. He's also only at 1.4 vcore which isn't that high. Cooling it may be what it needs .
I've looked around the net and am having a hard time finding a watt rating or anything about the power for this board ? Not sure what it's capable of to start with. At work ATM so some of my surfing is limited

Last edited:
I can't get to asrock from here I tried but no go. But you wouldn't think anOC'd 95w cpu would be maxing out that board already. Would it?
It should be able to handle this power draw without overheating yet. Is it an 8+2 phase

Last edited:
No, 4+1 power phase. The 970 chipset boards are all either 4+1 or 4+2.

My earlier point about socket temp was really that because the VRM area is so very close to the socket I suspect that it has a great influence on socket temps, especially if the package temp is not particularly high since the processor would be the only other heat source for the socket. So, my thinking is that if you cool down the VRM area you will cool down the socket as well.

Ya I know what you were saying and wasn't arguing that fact. Now that I know what the board is offering I can see that the VRM will be struggling. The new FX chips really draw the power when I first got the 8350 I had the 99fx pro which you can tell by my sig was retired to HTPC. That was the one I was having heat problems with. Once I put the fans in it helped but it was the one on the back that helped the most. But that was my board and my experience. I got a bit more out of it but as luck would have it the chip I picked up was extra thirsty or a leaker how ever you like to put it. The Sabretooth is a little better equipped to handle it.

Back