• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fickle setup helprequired.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
both you guys are so very right.
johan45, that fan fools the sensor so it thinks it's cooler than it is.
what i have done is put a hole in the case side there and when i push the vcore high i hang an exaust fan on it, it only takes a little flow to keep it from really cooking back there.

I was pretty sure that's exactly what I was doing and willing to take the chance. After all it's not that often that you load up a system like prime95 will. I figured if it made it through that I'm not likely to damage anything in day to day usage. And it didn't seem to matter how much air I put over the heatsink it didn't chane the temps that much.
Ya i've read on here about how much you like to baby things there C_D

Last edited:
The last half of page #3 was a very good read. "trents" speaking the scientific response and "Johan45" speaking the I have been there and actually done that thing. Sadly they are almost two different worlds when it comes to the huge amount of current drawn by an FX processor and the huge heat that it can put out when pushed and fed Vcore.

Oh I had no issues setting up my first FX-8120 when I got it and put it on the CHV board. Heck I had been helping with FX processors for nearly a year and never even seen one. Now I had one. My best 'move' was to get a CHV board to begin with since it is not a cripple when dealing with FX processors. My second good move was the power of the water cooling system I use on my test bench. My third good move was the fact that I cut out the area behind the CPU socket so I can aim a fan blowing down the back of the mobo. Not at the socket nor directly away from the socket but down the full back of the mobo and that creates a vacuum in the area where I cut a hole in the back of the mobo tray and draws heat off the back of the cpu socket.

The trick of blowing down the back of the mobo was learned from one of the early BD adopters in the CPU Forum section. Using a large fan I get air under the board when mounted for the vacuum effect and I get a fan blowing at the VRMs down low. Two birds with one stone.

Another thing we need to understand and that is the difference between "X" is supported and "X" works awesome. They are two different situations for sure. Put the dang cpu in the socket and use as intended equals supported but it is not the same as overclocks like a wild-man without glitches.

These cheap and marginal for overclocking FX processors motherboards, just cannot do the deal very well. The cheap boards just cannot put out the +300 watts of current that pushing a 6 or 8 core processor towards the moon requires.

And then there is the difference between processors and the individual motherboards themselves even of the same brand and model. When all that is poured into the mixture and stirred vigorously...your best bet is to get a 'real' mobo as has been spoken of here in the forum more than just one time. It will save many hair-pulling days. "Johan45" knows what I am talking about.
RGone...

Okay guys here is an update. I have had sporatic issues with the computer coming out of hibernations etc. Now after having it do one of those episodes and having a difficult time getting the computer to turn on... it now will not accept any of my preloaded OC settings in the bios. It simply boots into windows with the default settings. Any help is appreciated.. Have i pushes this POS mobo now it cant handle it anymore? It does seem flakey sometimes also in HWmon the cputin sensor dosent show up.. even now when running stock or it comes and goes... or goes then comes.. wierd.

Thanks. PS i also wonder about this PS unit.

thanks,
jb3nny

windows sleep mode has always been an issue, don't use it.
try a cmos reset first.
then pull one stick of ram and try one in every slot, then try the other stick.
this will tell you if it's ram or not.

For this to be overclocked >> AMD FX-6300 4.1Ghz 17 x 241

There is not one of the following three pieces that I would personally choose for that overclock. too weak for the job. At least too weak for me after my experiences with overclocking FX 6 and 8 core processors.
Asrock 970 Ext3 1.7 Bios version
Corsair H40 CL Watercooled (1 Fan on push)
Antec 400W High Current Gamer Ed.

I did not look to see what the case looked like but if it is one of those smaller mini-towers and not a real Mid-tower then it is too small for air to get thru a water-cooling radiator.
RGone...

Okay cant reset the clrcmos jumper with any luck and when i pull the cmos battery for 10 mins with the power unplugged boot back in and try to change the bios settings they still wont change and all my presets are still in there??
Any suggestions

Do you have their AXTU OC utility installed? Most of these software based OC utilities are problematic

Ya that wouldn't hurt Then maybe see if you can clear the CMOS

I am starting to wonder about a corrupted bios, perhaps a bios reflash?
or a password protected bios?

thanks

glad you mentioned that caddi daddi i am thinking about reflashing the bios. I can change it to factory fresh but no overclocks.. just clocks the settings back by the time i can open cpuz

Last edited:
update ** bios reflash did the trick. Also should i leave all fans on full or should i get something like speedfan? The Asrock utility let me turn down the fans when i wasn't gaming but i have uninstalled that now.

thanks for all your help!!

Speedfan can be problematic as well. Not really dorking with the bios but it is almost worthless for reading temps for me in this forum section.

Can't you install 'only' parts of AXTU OC utility? Perhaps you could install only the parts you just need for fan control. Most have a temp setting in bios that should suffice for revving fans up when heated and lowering again when cooled.

The problem with those "suites" for the motherboard is that users get to looking in the overclocking section of the suite and the next thing you know there CAN be problems. You are not nearly the first to seem to have issues with software that claims control of bios from windows.
RGone...

yes idealy i should just replace my 2 louder fans. Btw i cannot believe how much more stable my machine is now that i reflashed the bios. HWmon temps are not acting funny i had the cputin and others disappear and reappear all the time. Now they are stable, also the max temp would always hit 127c now its not doing that. So i think my bios was bugged from the get go. Time will tell.

Thanks everyone!

Back