• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

finally time to build a new gaming computer (budget suggestions needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silenzzzz

ok, my computer is starting to show it's age when it comes to newer games (mmo, online fps, are what i normally play) ...

this is my current setup.

Intel Q6600
DFI BloodIron (p35-r)
8 Gig Kingston hyperX ram
eVga GTX 260 (216) 896mb ram
CM 690
Corsair PSU hx 520
Windows 8.1 (64bit)

other then the case and 'maybe' the PSU i doubt any of it can be re-used with a newer setup.

the main thing i am wanting is stability and long life ... over the ability to over clock and such.

my only real requirement is it support a 64bit OS and dual monitors (even if they are off of the same vid card)

i will most likely be buying a part a paycheck till it is ready to assemble ...

been away from building a new PC for so long that it feels like i haven't even built one when i look at the new specs of stuff >.<

had to do a search to see what that was so no ... only 'computer' type places around me are Best Buy *shudders* so most all of my purchases will be made online.
I have heard that Best Buy will sometimes match the prices at Microcenter on their walk in deals. Though it may also depend on your proximity to the Microcenter. That said I have a 955be and also a I5 2500k if you can find a 2500k and a Z77 motherboard for a good price it's still a heck of a Cpu. Mine will run all day long on a CM 212 heatsink at 4.5. If you want to go new the I5 4670k/Z87 combo is tough to beat.

Using your existing case, PSU, HDD and optical drive(s), how about this?

i haven't used AMD in likely close to 18 years ... so going to research that chip some ... from a quick glance looks like that may be the highest chip that uses that socket still? ... so no upgrading it later on down the road ... hmmm

Well if going AMD APU you're better off looking at the newest ones out which would be the A10 7700K. That said unless you go used or get a really good deal going the Intel route and fitting in the budget will be though. Here's an AMD setup I put together and it's a bit under the $500.00.
Capture.PNG

i haven't used AMD in likely close to 18 years ... so going to research that chip some ... from a quick glance looks like that may be the highest chip that uses that socket still? ... so no upgrading it later on down the road ... hmmm

Yeah, I was trying to stay within your budget, while still getting you a decent upgrade on the videocard, since I think that is where you'd see the most benefit.

It will be pretty tough to plan on having some upgradeability with either Intel or AMD on your budget. That would probably take another couple hundred dollars or so.

Instead of "buying a part a paycheck" you'd probably do better with saving your money until you get enough to nearly complete your build. Sale prices come and go. Once you're close to your budget start pulling the trigger on targeted items as they go on sale. At $50-$70 a paycheck your looking at 1.5 - 2 months so, no need to rush.

Edit: Keep an eye on this thread and watch for your parts.

thanks for the suggestions thus far ... it does look like amd has improved a lot since the last time i dealt with them ... esp with the price of intel at the moment ...

yeah, now that i see the prices better on what i should look for ... saving it up would be best ... i get a small discount through my workplace at newegg so will likely use that to order.

eventually i know i will need to upgrade my HDD and maybe PSU as well .. but the CPU and GPU is showing it's age on newest games ...

Could buying a newer video card and some OC-ing on his Q6600 help him along until he can afford a kicking system?

This is what I would do. The first thing I would buy is the videocard, because as soon as you get it, you can throw it in your system and see instant performance gains. Any other component you buy, you'll have to wait longer before being able to use your stuff. E.g. buy CPU and have to wait on mobo, buy mobo and have to wait on CPU.

the overclock reminded me ... and i do not know why i did it now ... other then the A/C was out one summer and i didn't want to damage computer while having to use it for work ... i had underclocked it a bit ... so i set it back to a little bit over stock and it runs better hah .. but still showing some age ...

the video card first does sound like a good option ... would help on most everything i play but one (it is still in early stages and is running mostly on CPU for graphics at the moment)

will my PSU be enough for something like what Mandrake4565 suggested?

ok, we got back a little bit more then we expected for tax refund ... so i have 700 max to spend now ... but i have the money on hand ...

all the different variants in the processors right now is causing me trouble ... what is the difference between an A10 and FX series processor? performance wise? ... again i do not really plan on overclocking or if it does happen will be only mildly ... and prefer to build up something that will be stable for several years to go with a small upgrade here and there ... so the motherboard to me would be the most important basis of it all ...

the A10 is just a quad core from what i see ...

but then on the FX some of them are 6 (or 3 physical?) and some are 8 ... with a few only being 20 to 30$ different in price .. but the A10 is more expensive on the ones i have looked at in thread suggestions ...

Back