• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

finally time to build a new gaming computer (budget suggestions needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i went ahead and ordered a Video Card while debating on the other components .... went by the local Best Buy to see what they had as well ... if i wanted a prebuilt pc or a cell phone they got it covered ... computer components (other then a few HDD's) they had none at all ...

i am thinking of getting the best board i can ... for a decent price (one with stability behind it, not one that has to be RMA'd often but is awesome) ... and then figure out which way for sure on the processor ... it's going to be an FX for sure ... but not sure if i should get the 6300 or go ahead and get 8320/8350 ... and haven't even thought about ram yet .. other then i know i want 8 gig minimum ...

Yep, you'd want at least 8GB of system RAM on any setup that is to be used for gaming. My 3rd rig in my sig had only 4GB of RAM, but was able to handle games just fine mostly....then came COD Ghost with that stupid 6GB RAM requirement (before the patch) and that gave me an excuse to use the spare 4GB I had lying around and now, that system tears thru games like a bad mutha.

The FX6300 is just fine for games, but if you want to step to the FX8320/8350, I ain't going to talk you out of it as I have an FX8350 + Asus CVF + 2x GTX670 combo and there's no game that I play on it that it cannot handle.....with aplomb. Seriously, the FX6300 and up are badasses when it comes to gaming.....with a good GPU of course. For RAM, I have G Skill RipJawsX 2133mhz (1.65v) and it's just fine....G skill tend to be cheaper (when compared to Corsair), hence my getting it.

Seriously, just slap on the new GPU, OC that Q6600 and see where you land.....

You'll definitly want to get a really good aftermarket cooler if you go with an FX CPU. They run pretty toasty.

Yep, you'd want at least 8GB of system RAM on any setup that is to be used for gaming. My 3rd rig in my sig had only 4GB of RAM, but was able to handle games just fine mostly....then came COD Ghost with that stupid 6GB RAM requirement (before the patch) and that gave me an excuse to use the spare 4GB I had lying around and now, that system tears thru games like a bad mutha.

The FX6300 is just fine for games, but if you want to step to the FX8320/8350, I ain't going to talk you out of it as I have an FX8350 + Asus CVF + 2x GTX670 combo and there's no game that I play on it that it cannot handle.....with aplomb. Seriously, the FX6300 and up are badasses when it comes to gaming.....with a good GPU of course. For RAM, I have G Skill RipJawsX 2133mhz (1.65v) and it's just fine....G skill tend to be cheaper (when compared to Corsair), hence my getting it.

Seriously, just slap on the new GPU, OC that Q6600 and see where you land.....

once the card gets here going to put it in ... only have an OEM styled cooler on the Q6600 so won't be trying much for overlocking ... but will see how it does while i figure out the rest.

You'll definitly want to get a really good aftermarket cooler if you go with an FX CPU. They run pretty toasty.

yeah, been reading up on that .. which is why i am going to change over to a better case (more room) and may even go with one of the pre-made watercooler setups for the CPU ... (if i can find a good enough deal on the mobo/ram/cpu)

Becareful with the All-in-one(AIO) water cooling. There are only a few that can compete with the better air coolers. As far as cases make sure you an fit at least a 160 tall air cooler, if you're going that route. Naturally the best(and most expensive) route is a custom water loop.

fx is the past and no upgrade path with it, am3+ socket is end of life and when they will end it we don't know, new builds should be on newer sockets to give some upgrade path.
the a10 is on the newer steam roller cores.
most games right now can only make use of four cores any way.

I'm thinking a good, mid range, to top range fm2 motherboard, top of the line a10 processor and all the video card you can afford is the way to go if going amd.

The A10 is a new APU platform with a MUCH stronger GPU aspect then your typical APU. Its a great "all in one" unit, and the cost is pretty conducive to its power.

ohhhh ok i was getting confused by that ... so A10 is the newer one ... hmmm but you do not have to use the built in GPU part of it tho? i think that was throwing me off as well .. reminded me of the older systems that had video built into the board and such ..

as for room in the case .. i am debating on picking up a different case as well ... either a CM HAF XB or Corsair Air 540 ... since i do not carry my pc around anywhere ... i would prefer having a little larger case for cable management and airflow ...

You can use a compatable discrete GPU with an AMD APU or run the "on chip" graphic. The graphics are WAY better than the old "on board" graphics that you're familiar with.

As far as up-gradability or future - proofing as some like to call it, the nice thing about the FM2+ is you can built a system today and run the on chip graphics. Then in a year or 2 buy a modern graphics card and your rig is fairly current again. Of course you can do this with the AM3+ platform as well. The difference being not needing the original GPU.

As far as up - grading the cpu/apu. In 3-4 years from now the AM3+ will likely be unavailable and the FM2+ platform will be old hat and you'll want to replace the APU/mobo together anyhow. Of course this is a just my speculation. But I can't remember the last system that I upgraded a new CPU onto an old Mobo.

For cases, larger is better for wire management, just make sure you have enough fans to push that much volume of air. Bigger case=bigger/more fans.

ok with the A10 chip would there be an issue with not using the on board video and using an nvidia card instead? ... (to use the card i have already ordered to put in my current system while i figure out everything else) ...

GTX 750 Ti

or would the on board card be similiar in quality? (if i have enough ram that has the needed speeds to work well with it) ...

starting to make a bit more sense now ...

well the video card came in and has been installed ... has made a huge difference in the computer ... now the games i am interested in i can run on full quality. i know i still need to plan for upgrading the CPU and such soon ...

debating now on just replacing the HDD and getting a SSD as well to maximize this setup for a little bit longer though.

Good choice. Radeon is over priced right now with all the miners buying them up. The 750 ti should be good for a few years to come still. Congrats.

Back