• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox 21 Warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

I just finished a fresh install on Win7/64 last night.Things went great except for constant screen freezes all day today.First my mouse would freeze, or the whole system would freeze periodically.No other option than a hard restart.I was trouble shooting all day :mad: Then I noticed Firefox updated to 21.So I google screen freeze, and FF 21.Low and behold constant complaints of freezing on this version.

Went back to version 20 and everything is fine.Did a custom install to turn off silent updater :shrug: and then make sure you turn off regular updates in program.Venders are getting worse and worse about shoving crap in your face.I dont friggin need or asked for a silent update!

Last edited:
Yeah lots of problems with Firefox and Java recently. I switched to Chrome and turned off Java.

Yeah. Java had a security loophole like 4-6 months back. It was super messed up. Still problems with it. Be careful :thup:

I have no idea what's happening with Firefox but with each new version it's working worse.

I'm running 21 at home and at work without any issues. I also block everything with NoScript/ABP/FlashBlock. Not sure if that helps.

I'm on FF 21.0 with no problems either. Adblock is on. Noscript is good too.

Now would be a good time to disable java if you can.

I still have flash enabled with no problems yet.

The PC where my wife an daughter play farmville and other junk is always having problems. :shrug:

There are not that many problems with Firefox that affect every single system. It's important to disable all updates to all programs and to manually update software to avoid problems in time when you need your system the most.

I image once a month, every Patch Tuesday and at the same time update all the programs, that way if, make that when :), something goes wrong, you image back to try to find the culprit.

With Firefox, do this:

* Start Menu > Run... >
firefox.exe -profilemanager -no-remote
> OK
Create Profile... > Next > Enter new profile name, select Folder location > OK > Finish >
make sure the newly created profile name is selected > Start Firefox.

Profiles can have add-ons which themselves cause problems. So make sure add-ons are not causing the problem by using another profile when using Firefox, and separately, with browsing, Java definitely has been known to cause problems. Uninstalling temporarily for testing purposes when something goes wrong while browsing is a good way to make sure Java is not acting up.

I wonder if Firefox is the real problem ? Everything seemed fine, after I rolled back to FF v.20.01, but the freeze machine hit me again.Then I remembered something. I installed Nvidia's newest drivers, Version 320.18.After doing some searching, I found out these drivers are having alot of issues.(ie)Crashing on your desktop, freezing in games, and other weird stuff.This is not a beta release either.

I used Revo Uninstaller Pro, and removed Nvidia's 320.18 drivers, and installed 314.22.The difference was night and day.Revo is the bomb.It will find all entries for any program, and does a very detailed sweep.I been testing for the last hour & a half, with no hiccups.I was getting 3 to 4 lockups / hour like clock work. Google Nvidia's newest driver release.Not good.What the heck is going on with software lately.

Last edited:
Video card driver updates have historically known to create problems. I would never under any circumstances update a video card driver without drive imaging your OS partition first. I would especially not allow Windows update to install any hardware updates _ever_ (use manufacturer web sites if needed and then only after creating an image or a system restore point.

But on your topic, Firefox globally, does have one problem, it has to do with 7xxx series of AMD cards and black squares. AMD and Firefox are currently engaged in blaming each other for this problem which no Firefox update or AMD updates has fixed since at least version 18 of Firefox.

I heard of that before but figured they just take Firefox base and add things to it. So I thought it would be all about just what it is that they add to make it worthwhile? Anything other than Add-ons we all add?

I did a search and got this hit:

Pale Moon rated the slowest in the Kraken test and took the longest (by just a second more over Nightly and Waterfox) to load from a cold start. It appears to use the most memory over the other two 64-bit browsers, and the mysterious background processes that it runs probably need to be considered and added to its overall memory-use tally.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/021312-firefox-faceoff-255880.html?page=3

So if it has something that makes worthwhile, sure, but that search hit doesn't make it sound attractive, basic criteria would be stability plus ability to run specific add-ons we all like to use individually... and then explanation just what it is that is different for every day usage, that doesn't affect stability?

Video card driver updates have historically known to create problems. I would never under any circumstances update a video card driver without drive imaging your OS partition first. I would especially not allow Windows update to install any hardware updates _ever_ (use manufacturer web sites if needed and then only after creating an image or a system restore point.

But on your topic, Firefox globally, does have one problem, it has to do with 7xxx series of AMD cards and black squares. AMD and Firefox are currently engaged in blaming each other for this problem which no Firefox update or AMD updates has fixed since at least version 18 of Firefox.

My image files were a little dated, so that was my project for today.Bad move adding a untested video driver on os before I made the image file.I had to start from the ground up, and make a good image. Pain in the *ss.I wont do that again, but i have a clean image now.I never knew about that FF problem and amd cards.Thats classic! Pass the buck when it cant be solved.

Im using your idea.Small partitions to boot various os for my main pc.I keep my gaming pc offline.No firewall. No antivirus.Bare minimum programs Just a ssd and a plattter drive for back-up.

Last edited:
palemoon is optimized for high end processors, it starts up and loads pages noticeably faster than firefox on my 2600k and q6600. I wonder what processor was used for those tests(it does say they were testing version 9.1 O_O) . Nothing is added, only things are removed
I heard of that before but figured they just take Firefox base and add things to it. So I thought it would be all about just what it is that they add to make it worthwhile? Anything other than Add-ons we all add?

I did a search and got this hit:

Pale Moon rated the slowest in the Kraken test and took the longest (by just a second more over Nightly and Waterfox) to load from a cold start. It appears to use the most memory over the other two 64-bit browsers, and the mysterious background processes that it runs probably need to be considered and added to its overall memory-use tally.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/021312-firefox-faceoff-255880.html?page=3

So if it has something that makes worthwhile, sure, but that search hit doesn't make it sound attractive, basic criteria would be stability plus ability to run specific add-ons we all like to use individually... and then explanation just what it is that is different for every day usage, that doesn't affect stability?

palemoon is optimized for high end processors, it starts up and loads pages noticeably faster than firefox. I wonder what processor what used for those tests. Nothing is added, only things are removed and optimizations added.

Back in the day, Firefox was lean and mean.Maybe that's there focus.That sounds interesting.

Microsoft keeps trying to serve these up and I keep hiding them until the next version :rolleyes:

I've got all browsers installed on my system for web testing and validation. I've rarely had issues with chrome and ie10. Both firefox and safari feel very behind at the moment.

(Yes... I said ie10... it's the first version of internet explorer that's useable imo)

Back