• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocker, can you pleasee help me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnysti08

Registered
Hi guys
I need some help overclocking my system
Specs

Phenom II X6 1045T
Kingston Value Ram 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ
ASROCK N68C-S UCC
NVIDIA 9500GT
Cooler Master 212 +
3 Case Fans

At idle i run at 18-21 degrees.

Can you guys recommend what to enter into my bios. Im looking for 3.1Ghz until i get my new Ram and Gfx card next week to go for 3.5GHZ. Before i tried to overclock to 3.1Ghz, downcloked ram to 1226Mhz, set voltage to 1.350 and ran prime for 30mins. It was running with prime at 29-32degrees, and then shut down by itself. Can you please help?

What Power supply do you have is my first question...

My next question is look at that board, I'm surprised it overclocks much as the power delivery area isnt even cooled and it looks like only has a couple of phases. That may be the problem right there...

Otherwise, in my signature is a link to overclocking the Phenom II's... check that out while someone more versed in AMD swings by to help.

I have a Omega 750W PSU
33A on +12V rail.

I have no clue about motherboards, but i did see some videos where persons have overclocked on that board. My cpu is currently running on the default 2.7Ghz

33A for a 750W PSU? Yikes, thats LOW, like almost 400W. And its likely a crappy brand. Is that an old Power Supply?

Your system runs fine at stock speeds?

I bought it yesterday. The PSU i had before was a Codegen 575W 14A on +12V rail. The system ran fine at stock speeds, and so far is running fine on the new one. Bought a new one because im planning to get a Radeon 7770 and Gskill 8gb this week.

That motherboard has a TDP (Total Design Power) rating of 95 watts. The X6 1045T has a TDP of 95W at stock frequencies and voltages. Theoretically, it should work okay on that board at stock frequencies and voltages. The problem is, once you begin to oveclock the CPU you begin to produce more watts. Your motherboard would be better suited to overclock a dual core CPU like the Sempron or Athlon II X2. But you may age a small bit of overclock on your X6.

The first thing to do would be to check temps and stability under stress at stock speeds and voltages.

Please download and install these three programs: CPU-z, HWMonitor, and Prime95.

Then open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" test. When that is done, please post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. This will allow us to check baseline temps at stock speeds and voltages and give an idea if you may have any temp headroom to overclock. If you get a blue screen or the system restarts spontaneously during the stress test, that means it is overloaded.

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious.

Ok according to prime95, Torture Test completed, 10 tests in 23 minutes, 0 errors, 0 warnings
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
The CPUTIN (CPU socket temp) spiked a 102c reading! I think that is not to be taken seriously, though as there shouldn't be that much disparity between core temp and socket temp.

Okay, do you have a digital camera you could take pics of the overclocking sections of your bios? If so that would greatly facilitate us helping you as we would be seeing what you see in bios and using the same terminology as your bios uses. Take pics of the sections that deal with frequencies and voltages.

Also, disable Cool N Quiet, C1E and Turbo Core Boost (terminology may differ a little from what I'm using).

Did you turn off Cool N Quiet? It may be in another section of the bios than what the voltages and frequencies are in.

Put "Overclock Mode" on "Manual" instead of "Auto". Also disable AMD Turbo Core Technology. I think you should also disable AMD IO C-State support as I suspect that is the name they are using for what we usually call C1E.

Save these changes in bios and post back when you are done.

Also, take your Memory Clock off of Auto. When you do that, what choices do you see?

Ok by the Overclock mode it doesnt have manual. It has CPU, PCIE Sync and CPU, PCIE ASync. I chose ASync. With it now on ASync im now able to edit the fsb myself. I disabled Turbo Core and In the memory section, it has 800mhz,1066mhz,133mhz and 1600mhz. I chose 133mhz. I also disable cool and quiet

My wife and I are heading out for church and so I won't be able to check this thread for about three hours.

What you want to do is to configure your memory speed in bios to start at 1066 mhz instead of the present 1333. The reason is that the frequency of the memory will increase along with the overclock of the CPU and if you don't lower the memory frequency to star with it will become unstable.

Ok thanks so much for your help. Last question, could i try now to overclock to 3.1ghz?

Ok by the Overclock mode it doesnt have manual. It has CPU, PCIE Sync and CPU, PCIE ASync. I chose ASync. With it now on ASync im now able to edit the fsb myself. I disabled Turbo Core and In the memory section, it has 800mhz,1066mhz,133mhz and 1600mhz. I chose 133mhz. I also disable cool and quiet

Yes, Async is the one you want. Set the memory speed to 1066. I'll get back to you later.

I am just posting this for when you come back. I tried to overclock to 3.1Ghz. Ran prime for 1hr it said Completed 29 tests in 59 minutes, 0 errors, 0 warnings. I noticed that often the voltage will go down to 1.160 and the speed to 1600mhz for a while then goes back to 1.260V and 3.1Ghz and vice-versa. Did that throught the entire test. It stayed at 1.160 @ 1600Mhz for longer periods of time over the 3.1Ghz. Is that normal? Attached is the HWMonitor report for the testing.

wowz.jpg

sadsadssdawwwww.jpg

Last edited:
Now i am noticing that with prime off it constantly stays on 1.240V and 3.1Ghz

Back