• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocker, can you pleasee help me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok just to clarify, do these steps?

Set fsb to 250
Set Ram to 1000mhz
Set DRAm to 1.47V
Set NB to 1900-2000
Set Voltage to 1.375

No, don't set the ram to 1000 mhz. Let it run the full 1333 at 1.5 volts. I think if you start it at 1066 in bios the 250 mhz FSB will take it to 1333. It's the HT Link frequency I want you to keep at 1000 or slightly less. Look at the lower right corner of the CPU-z "CPU" tab.

The CPU voltage will likely need more than 1.375 to be stable at 3.5 ghz. More like 1.45 or 1.475 probably.

In your bios, HT Link frequency is called "HT Bus Speed". Take it off of Auto and manually set it so that with the increase in FSB to 250 the HT Bus Speed multiplier keeps it at about 1000 mhz. I think Auto is doing that now anyway so maybe you can just leave it alone.

Ok I set it at 3.2Ghz, i set it at x8 1920, Ht link is running at 957Mhz. I didnt see the msg in time to set bus speed to manual. Voltage is set to 1.40

saddsasdtttt.jpg

HT link (HT bus speed is where it should be anyway). Don't confuse that with the FSB which is the master system bus.

So far it didnt cut off which is a great sign because it usually cuts off as soon as i run Prime95. However it is downthrottling to 1650Mhz

K the torture test stopped because i got an error, says hardware failure detected.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

That kind of error usually means more CPU volts is needed. But if you add more volts it will worsen the down-throttling problem. Your're either going to have to settle for higher clocks and down-throttling under heavy load or lower clocks unless you get a better motherboard. You really do need desperately to upgrade that board. Save your nickles and your dimes. That motherboard is Thuban core "compatible" but not Thuban core "capable". Big difference between the two.

This would be a much better match: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

Ah OK, i will settle for lower clocks. Ill see if i can manage 3-3.1 GHz. If I cant i guess it was a waste buying the 212+ :(

No, the 212+ was an excellent investment, now and for the future. I can tell you, with the stock cooler that came with the CPU you probably could get no overclock at all, especially in your climate.

Ok based on my last posts, I reported that overclocking was impossible for me with my mobo. However I discovered that I can disable cores lol. As I use this computer mostly for games, i though disabling 2 cores would be a good idea as most games dont use 6 cores, and this may allow me some overclocking headroom. Anyway I am running with 4 cores, set overclock to 3.1GHZ and behold i was able to run Prime for 1 hr till i took it off without any error whatsoever. Also the cpu also throttled once and that was like for less that 1.5 seconds. See HWMonitor for report. Only issue i have now it that i hope my Generic 750W with 33A on the +12V rail will hold up lol.

Capture.JPG

johnny, please create a "Sig" so anyone can view your system information at any point by glancing at your last post.

Here's a script I've made up of how to do it. I'll just copy and paste it:

Please create a “Sig” so that your system information travels with every post you make. Component information listed in the body of a post early in a thread tends to get buried and lost as a thread gets longer. The “Sig” is a common courtesy to those entering the thread to help you. To create a “Sig”, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Create Signature. We like to see information about these components: CPU, CPU cooler make and model, RAM make and speed and amount, motherboard make and model, PSU make and wattage, video card make and model and last but not least, case make and model and information about the case fans (number of intake fans and exhaust fans and their sized, like 120 mm, 140 mm, 200 mm, etc.).

Those CPUTIN temps look might high! Is that under load?

Yes it is under load, do you think i should stick to not overclocking? And sorry Ill create one

Is that 49c CPUTIN current value in the left most column during the load or after the stress was removed?

I really forgot, although I think that was during load. Do you want me to try again?

Yeah, load it again with about 20 minuted of Prime95 blend and then capture an image of Hardware monitor at the end of that time before you stop the stress test. I want to see if that real high temp was just a technological glitch or something real. Of course, if the temp spikes that high quickly and stays there, stop the test. The left most column of HWMonitor shows the current temp.

Untitled.jpg

Ok something is weird. I noticed the Max temp was 98degrees on the CPUTIN. However is the current value was 48 degrees. I didnt notice it go to 98 degrees in the enitre test, Curious while the test was still running, I reset the min and max values, and when I did the current value was still 48 degrees, but as soon as i reseted it the max said 98, though it was constantly running on 48

Sometimes, you get a spike like that which are usually just a glitch in the reading. If you watch your temps and they don't go anywhere near that, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back