• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocker, can you pleasee help me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your temps are fine now and you have quite a bit of room to overclock more, I would say. Generally, temp-related instability doesn't set in until core temps begin to exceed 55-60 range and CPUTIN temps begin to exceed 65-70c. However, in your case the motherboard will be the limiting factor as I think we pointed out before.

Ok great! but may I ask, with my specs, and my 33A PSU, am i safe to continue overclocking?

Yes, but proceded in small increments - particularly as you may need to add CPU voltage to restore stability when you reach a frequency that is no longer stable. You really want to watch the temp line in HWMonitor "TMPINx" labeled "Auxtin" as it is already 65c and represents a reading from the motherboard itself. You don't want it to get above about 70-75c.

Sorry i didnt get it, why crossed out TMPINx? Also, isnt the 65 in the Auxtin a spike as well cause at load it was 35?

Your pics of HWMonitor do not show any TMPINx temp lines is the reason I changed that. Spike? If Auxtin was 37 under load then that's what you want to go by. Thanks for the clarification.

OK guys I set it at 3.3Ghz, and 1.375V, and i starting to see the throttling again. This is with Prime in Blend for 10 minutes

wsa.jpg

If the PSU hasn't been a problem to this point I doubt it will just because of the overclocking. That won't add much power draw to the PSU in the big scheme of things. Potent video cards are the biggest power users in a system.

Yes, the throttling. It's your motherboard. Just can't handle it. Sorry, I wish it weren't so but it is and there is nothing to do about it but get a board with heavier duty power ratings.

OK so i guess that is that. DO you think i should stick to the 3.1GHZ 4 core without throttling or the 2.7GHZ 6 core?
For gaming that is

Last edited:
For gaming and general computing, stick with the four core configuration. Games and most software cannot take advantage of more than four cores anyway as they are just not that well multi-threaded in their coding. If you do things like rendering audio/visual files then go with the six core config as that kind of activity can general utilize many cores and really benefits from it.

No its purely for gaming, thank you so much Mr. Trent, helped me alot. Hope to see you around some other time! Maybe with what I learnt I could help someone :)

Back