• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FIX: nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding and has recovered [VISTA ERROR]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This may still be some sort of memory issue. Since Ready boost serves as memory access enhancement. But, I have taken out the readyboost on all 4 of my machines and all of their issues have seemed to resolve.
Same there as well.......they all have latest nvidia drivers.......more than 1 stick of ram....nothing underclocked........all running Vista Home Premium with SP1

I have been battleing this issuse since my build 4 moths ago. I have done the expand method, changed ram, updated drviers. It seems like everything i have done has been to a dead end. Is there anything that works yet. Whats next on my list to do.

I did an experiment, I let CoD4 run all night in a self made game on my 9800gtx+. When i woke up in the morning i found that i had crashed, which i knew i would have so no shocker there. I took the card out and put in a friends old 7900GS and did the same thing. Woke up this morning and the game was still running. Does this help?

Have been following the thread for ages and ages (when I was running an 8800 card) and I've only seen a couple of references to the newer GTX280 cards (having just bought one)... Am I likely to still have the problems with these latest cards?

Guess I answered my own question...
IMG_4413.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce…GPU Fan. Two options. Return the card or get another better GPU cooler and stick that on. Ur getting these on XP? Pay attention to the GPU.

Villain…never used readyboost…I always registry disable it. I don’t believe USB keys were created to be powered on for long periods of time. USB3 yes…USB1/2…er..nope.

Logical Error – send me a PM with a folder list of all your folders in
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
I am interested in all folders starting with ‘nv’

Fritzman…can u also send me a list of ur nv* folders like Logical? (via PM please)

Side note: Everyone has there own way of configuring there PC/laptop, etc. Things like ready boost…I’d disable it without even thinking about it. Removing security suite never helped me. One thing that does make things easier is driver cleaner – it not freeware so ur choice…personally I did use it for all of…er…once…found the paths and wrote them down.

Manual. Think logically. The OS is obviously using the NVL file..or a copy of it. If we eliminate all the NVLs except one, we can say with confidence that if we deleted that last NVL…the file would not exist on the device. Once we are at this stage, we can then install the nvidia drivers and then before restarting ensure the NVL file we want to use is copied to replace the last NVL file.

(my apologies…not trying to talk down to people…just trying to explain my thinking process for this problem)

One thing I am pretty sure of, if ur having problems is XP don’t even think about vista. XP problems…if u cant fix by now I’d look at the hware itself.

Vist64 users. Remember – two folders, one for 32 and the other for 64…for everything. So twice to things u got to do.

(^_^)

send me a PM with a folder list of all your folders in
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
I am interested in all folders starting with ‘nv’

Fritzman…can u also send me a list of ur nv* folders like Logical? (via PM please)
(^_^)

Willdo & thanks Jen

Thanks for the tips JenBell...

I finally made a very bold move.... or rather a brain-less move!

Only OS i was running wasXP Pro 32bit and i had frequent freeze and stuff as always.. nothign seems to be working

So i reformatted and went back to Vista 32 coz i cud atleast continue playing many games in vista despite the error msg in the background until the screen gets filled with pixellated artifacts!

Now, as soon as i had vista installed and the 178.xx drivers installed, within a few minutes.... without even running a ssingle game, the artifacts wud appear and so does the error... it wasnt this bad earlier with Vista.

So i again wondered if it was really a driver file issue ???

Then i installed Rivatuner 2.2... now i underclocked the GPU... no use.. artifacts appear just 5-10 minutes after a start!!

strangely, the GPU is only at 56degC!!!!!!!! earlier i though only 61degC+ wud cause NVL error!!!

EArlier, with XP, when i used to restart the system, due to high GPU temp possibly causing a freeze, the temp wud still be at 59 on restart... and next game wud cause the error! but when i shut down and power off the UPS and start again, the temp is under 57degC and i can play for some considerable time before the error!! again hardware ???

So i'm really confused!

now to add to all the confusion, i disabled Aero in Vista and the artifacts havent come at all... system is running wit only downloads since 56hrs... no issues.

Next i will try to run games which were stable on XP earlier to see if they cause a freeze

fitzman...YGPM (sry but its kind of long:)

Bruce...I have heard stranger things and people have had the NVLs sorted. I can only comment on things I've done myself. Remember that Aero is a resource hog...it uses up so much yet gives so little in return...one of the reasons why I only use vista for gaming now with my working world dedicated to OSX now. Bruce, as u have vista installed can you also send me the folder list in the file repo folder, like fitzman - via PM? I can then give you specific steps on your PC and what I think you should do?

fitzman...YGPM (sry but its kind of long:)

Bruce...I have heard stranger things and people have had the NVLs sorted. I can only comment on things I've done myself. Remember that Aero is a resource hog...it uses up so much yet gives so little in return...one of the reasons why I only use vista for gaming now with my working world dedicated to OSX now. Bruce, as u have vista installed can you also send me the folder list in the file repo folder, like fitzman - via PM? I can then give you specific steps on your PC and what I think you should do?

Thanks JenBell... my internet was not working for some time and my internet provider came up with a brilliant idea that i must re-install my OS!

So to have a stable system, i went back to Win XP! yeah... had to re-install all my softwares and office! :(

And the network is now working fine! Another friend of mine too told me about driver cleaner and he has been using it with good effect and worth the money. he was kind enuff to give me his bootable XP and SP3 with drive cleaner... got XP runnign stable. ran drivecleaner and removed all previous nvdia stuff.. installed latest 181.22 drivers for my 8600GT.:santa:

Ran one of the games that was stable so far.. Superbike challenge... as soon as i reach the rider selection screen and the preview of the bike is displayed... it freezes! damn!

then later, while watching a movie, the screen froze but sound kept playing.. after a few seconds, the video went at x3 speed and caught up with sound. I assumed some DVD read issue.

Sadly, later in the evening, yet another documetary i had recorded on my HDD behaved similarly! I checked the GPU temperature via Rivatuner 2.2 .. it was 60degC. And for the first time ever, i GOT the NVL error on XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I tried flusing the 181.22 driver and installed 169.xx after a lot of restarts to make sure all was well..
Then tried playing SBK challenge.. same screen of rider selection.. FREEZE!! :( i tried alt-tab and found temp 60degC!

Went to the electronics store next street and picked up a fan powered by MB.

Noticed that the 8600gt fan was way too slow and was hardly pushing any heat out! i was left with no efficient option but to fix the new fan on top of the existing fan. It was intended to force feed fresh air to the existing fan!:screwy:

Was not smart.. but it worked. Both fans always ran at 100% speed. GPU temperature was stable at 55-58degC! I still get the bloody FREEZE with SBK game! :confused:

But it no more freezes with the movies atleast! :)

What is the REAL reason behind this ?? How can this be a mystery? I'm really frustrated with this card thats just completed 1yr and no more under warranty! i just dont feel like buying a new card..i'd rather pick up the new PSP 3004!

Else, next i'm going to remove the card and gonna runt he system with the on-board 512MB geforce6150... maybe i will try to overclock it and fry it! i'm pulling my hair off! :bang head

.. sorry for the long post!:beer:

Thanks JenBell... my internet was not working for some time and my internet provider came up with a brilliant idea that i must re-install my OS!

So to have a stable system, i went back to Win XP! yeah... had to re-install all my softwares and office! :(

And the network is now working fine! Another friend of mine too told me about driver cleaner and he has been using it with good effect and worth the money. he was kind enuff to give me his bootable XP and SP3 with drive cleaner... got XP runnign stable. ran drivecleaner and removed all previous nvdia stuff.. installed latest 181.22 drivers for my 8600GT.:santa:

Ran one of the games that was stable so far.. Superbike challenge... as soon as i reach the rider selection screen and the preview of the bike is displayed... it freezes! damn!

then later, while watching a movie, the screen froze but sound kept playing.. after a few seconds, the video went at x3 speed and caught up with sound. I assumed some DVD read issue.

Sadly, later in the evening, yet another documetary i had recorded on my HDD behaved similarly! I checked the GPU temperature via Rivatuner 2.2 .. it was 60degC. And for the first time ever, i GOT the NVL error on XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I tried flusing the 181.22 driver and installed 169.xx after a lot of restarts to make sure all was well..
Then tried playing SBK challenge.. same screen of rider selection.. FREEZE!! :( i tried alt-tab and found temp 60degC!

Went to the electronics store next street and picked up a fan powered by MB.

Noticed that the 8600gt fan was way too slow and was hardly pushing any heat out! i was left with no efficient option but to fix the new fan on top of the existing fan. It was intended to force feed fresh air to the existing fan!:screwy:

Was not smart.. but it worked. Both fans always ran at 100% speed. GPU temperature was stable at 55-58degC! I still get the bloody FREEZE with SBK game! :confused:

But it no more freezes with the movies atleast! :)

What is the REAL reason behind this ?? How can this be a mystery? I'm really frustrated with this card thats just completed 1yr and no more under warranty! i just dont feel like buying a new card..i'd rather pick up the new PSP 3004!

Else, next i'm going to remove the card and gonna runt he system with the on-board 512MB geforce6150... maybe i will try to overclock it and fry it! i'm pulling my hair off! :bang head

.. sorry for the long post!:beer:
You should try the 168.2. Thats what I had to do (along with driver cleaner) with my 7600gt. I should have known not let Windows Update install drivers for my card. Weird thing is I have no issues in Vista or Win7, only XP.

You should try the 168.2. Thats what I had to do (along with driver cleaner) with my 7600gt. I should have known not let Windows Update install drivers for my card. Weird thing is I have no issues in Vista or Win7, only XP.

Hi shadowdr
Thanks for the pointer.. but i am not able to google the 168.x driver! Any direct download links ??

I have a problem after doing these steps mentioned on page 1

"OK so in our Admin CMD window we type the following commands in sequence
21. takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\*.*
22. The command above will give you ownership of all the files under the FileRep folder
23. cacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\*.* /G Username:F
24. Replace username with your windows account name or login name"

now I can't use any USB flash drives, I remember I read that I need to revert back to my original settings but how the hell do I do that? Please someone help....!!! Its annoying...
Still having the nvlddmkm error, going to try to flash my other GPU with the same version as the first GPU. And will post if that solves any issues.

Last edited:
I tried it, still shows me access denied. I tried uninstalling the drivers from

Device Manager and scanned for new hardware. Still Access Denied. Do I need

to restart or something? I don't really think a restart would make a difference.

But I will try it what the heck.

Did you download the following files?
addorremtakeownershippe3.jpg

iss2.png

Ray

Yes, I downloaded the "To Remove Take Ownership" and I installed as the instruction says.

Still doesn't work.

Do you mean... 'now I can't use any USB flash drives'?

Ray

Yes, I can't use any USB, after I reboot my pc, windows still attempts to install

the drivers of the USB on my monitor but fails.

I flashed my 8800GTX exactly same version as the other 8800GTX which is

60.80.0A.00.27 using NVFLASH. My windows freezes when I try to run any avi

video, that is only when SLI is enabled. Therefore, I am pretty sure I will get

the nvlddmkm. Not sure if I should reinstall my drivers, but I doubt that would

really fix the problem, since I've tried multiple different version drivers, and

got the same problem. Even tried re-seating the GPU's differently.

Here's my comp specs.

EVGA 680i SLI NF68
OCZ Reaper HPC 4x1 GB DDR2-1066 DDR2 SDRAM @ 5-5-5-15 (2GB are Cross fire and 2 of them are not crossfire, I had to RMA my RAM they sent me those)
2x8800 GTX
1x150GB Velociraptor x
PC Power & Cooling 1000w
Windows Vista x64

any other thoughts to fix this stupid error would be nice.

Last edited:
Have you installed Vista drivers for your chipset? USB Controller drivers will be bundled with those. The drivers should be available at the computer/motherboard manufacturer's website. Did you try running with only one GPU enabled to see if it fixes your nvlddmkm error?

Ray

Back