• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4300 : Golden or merely Good ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So far my "stable points" have been :

4.7ghz - 1.308v
4.8ghz - 1.344v
4.9ghz - 1.368v
5.0ghz - 1.392v

Saber is taking too long to get here :mad:
I'm sorry but, I just don't believe it's stable. A single CB 11.5 run that's completed doesn't count as stable in my book. Bench stable maybe, but 24/7?, no.

Sort of stable, you just said that P95 won't run. IBT "regular" on standard isn't enough. Mr scott is right more power to all partsTry the stability test in AMD OD see if it'll pass that. Not that it's a holy grail since it's still weak IMO but likely a better indicator than what you're doing now.. Running 5.0 needs more CPU_NB volts even when mem and NB speed haven't changed. The IMC has more work to do every time you raise the core speed. Scotty and I have seen a lot of FX in action power is where it's at, and heat can't forget that.
Edit yeah cinebench. This one's cinebench stable

image_id_1376816.jpeg

Prime95 small FFT overnight stable for 4.7ghz, 4.8ghz, 4.9ghz and will try it tonight with 5.0ghz, the problem has always been with the motherboard that blend and (recently started using IBT) anything over standard fail in the 1st 20s or so. And i don't mean core dropping, i mean system freeze.

Did the same with my 8370 and he was 24/7 stable at 4.8ghz 1.440v ~60c. I honestly don't know what to tell you more, nothing crashes except stress tests.

Sort of stable, you just said that P95 won't run. IBT "regular" on standard isn't enough. Mr scott is right more power to all partsTry the stability test in AMD OD see if it'll pass that. Not that it's a holy grail since it's still weak IMO but likely a better indicator than what you're doing now.. Running 5.0 needs more CPU_NB volts even when mem and NB speed haven't changed. The IMC has more work to do every time you raise the core speed. Scotty and I have seen a lot of FX in action power is where it's at, and heat can't forget that.

Prime95 BLEND never ran properly in this mobo. I assume the same bug that's preventing it is also messing up IBT. I have tried both CPUs at stock with 1.5v and it still failed in the 1st minute. Ran memtest in DOS and passed at stock XMP. What am i supposed to do ? its stable for gaming and video coding i don't complain and use it :(

CPU 1.392v - CPU/NB 1.250v - CPU/VDDA 2.675V
NB 2600mhz / HT Link 2600mhz

everything else except for XMP and digidriver settings is on auto, tips ? i would take screenies in the BIOS but have no idea how ?

You OC one thing at a time. right now you have NB in volved and if you pass Small fft then it's in you mem/imc that the problem lies. Same with IBT that's where it points.

I don't really see anything that stands out. CPUNB voltage and I'd raise the ram volts to 1.55 if 1.5 is base voltage. Have you eve compared your ram settings with the spd tab? Sometimes BIOS plays a part maybe taht version and ram don't set up properly on auto

XMP profile 1866 cl9 - 9-10-9-27 2T 1.5v, tried manual and auto (other profiles) couple months back, 1.65v, nothing.

Why HPC Enabled ?

XMP profile 1866 cl9 - 9-10-9-27 2T 1.5v, tried manual and auto (other profiles) couple months back, 1.65v, nothing.

Why HPC Enabled ?

Just go to the spd section in bios it'll show you a lot more timings in there. Some of them may be off for AMD. XMP and AMD arent always friendly.

just do as MR scott says, he has a reason.
why are you clocking in docp? lets set that to manual.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought this was on a saberkitty.......

Will do but in the morning please, it's 1am :) will screenshot as soon as I'm able.

Saber is still on the way and its on DOCP cause of the XMP profile, never really messed with the ram besides voltage because... Well no point going above 1866 for gaming right ?

for game with a vidcard don't worry about system ram at all, 1333 is plenty fast, from 800 to 2400 you might gain 1-5 fps.
with an igpu, onboard, that's another story due to the igpu using system ram.
I think you are failing stress tests due to your very low vcore.

quads run cooler, take a little less voltage for higher clocks.

Since we are debating stability on this chip, and you really want to prove it.....

Run Prime95 and OCCT linpack back to back (both programs running) 8 hours (minimum of 2 hours) for a true stability check. When this is completed, do not restart PC and play your favorite game for at least one hour. If you can do all that.... Call it stable.

That is how I check my rigs for stability. Prime95 for 2 hours isn't enough in my book as ambient temps may not fluctuate much in this short time period. Other's may thing this is a good indication but it's really not. Tuesday Ambient temps are 75f while on Friday they may be 78f.

Bench stable is anything you can quickly benchmark and get away with. And the word stable shouldn't really be included.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but years back we tested stability with 7 days running non stop F@H or R@H. That was just to check temps and get some work units completed. Prime95 was just an add on or alternative at that point. Intel Burn test is cool, but I shy away from it because it's made for Intel processors. Another stability test I've done and completed was in AMD overdrive. It has a 7 day test which is pretty good. But if going that long, made the PC useful and just did work units for F@H instead.

My 2 cents. May not be worth much any more..... But that's how I roll.

That's all well and good but if you noticed everyone has a different way and time to consider his/her rig stable. I will try all of them eventually but for now i would really like to get the mem problem out of the way :) speaking of, Prime95 small FFT passed 6h42m with no errors at ~51c. Going to BIOS now to change stuffs like suggested and will post screenies in a minute.

Only thing i have is TDRs when i try out new drivers and the odd error id 46 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2756313 (have a 16gb fixed swapfile).

Ok new settings still a no go, ram at 1333 on auto actually does give me errors instead of a freeze for a change. See no difference with HPC on except more heat. Still stable for gaming and unstable with everything memory related for stressing. Tried again at 3800mhz 1.5v still freezes blend/IBT high+ in less then a minute. OCCT CPU passes 30m (will try longer later on), cinebench passes, ROG Realbench passes, Prime95 small fft passes, SuperPi 32M passes, memtest passes, gaming passes, video coding passes.

Everything CPU related passes, everything RAM related fails if stressed BUT RAM itself is ok. Had the same issue with my other 8gb Vengeance LP 1600, so its the MB that's borked as i said all along, which i will only be able to troubleshoot when the Saber comes (finally got confirmation that its on the way). Think it was Johan that said that the mem/IMC might not be working right.

Will re-install system from new when it arrives, maybe try out W8.1 instead of W7 with Classic Menu program cause i simply hate Metro on non-touchscreens...

Dam I can remember a time back when I first joined ........ Stability was simple and pretty much carved in stone. You wanted to show your overclock here in the AMD section and call it stable, simple post a screen shot of Prime95 BLEND after 12+ hours without errors or the guy's would call you on it.

We have calmed down on that allot, Me I will let blend run overnight usually something like 6 to 8 hours. Others are happy with 2 hours that's pretty good and if someone is happy with that or less so be it but sometime you will be called about it if your OC doesn't seem plausible or in the norm.

+1. Problem being that i know that it isn't 100% stable as you would call it, cause something in my system is preventing it :confused: its not voltage, not cpu, its memory related but ram checks out. I will leave it at is stable ENOUGH for day to day and gaming, so i am happy for now or until my new shiny arrives and i can kill it with fire :rofl:

Back