• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4300 : Golden or merely Good ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So the 2x4 1600 kit works fine? That's cool. I just have seen too many times the 2x8G kits causing trouble. I have a 2x8 Geil 1600 at home in my HTPC with the 9370 and it was a royal pain to get stable but in time I did manage after I figured out it was the ram throwing me off. Usually loosening the read to read and write to write will do it but not always. The ref cycle time up to 350-360 might help in your case too.

So far working perfect, Seems I managed to stabilise 5ghz at 1.440v (HATE YOU ALL FOR DESTROYING MY DELUSIONS), been running Prime95 blend for roughly ~35m now.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but the 1866 is working fine on wife's m5a97 evo r2.0 - 8370 4.4ghz 1.318v, ran IBT very high 20 runs while I was stressing this one. Seems it really is the Crosshair that doesn't like it but on the + side there should not be a problem with the Saber.

TYVM for the tips especially you Johan, saviour as usual :)

Edit : can anyone pls link the IBT AVX ? Can't seem to find any download site.

Last edited:
1703 if memory serves, always updated to latest when getting new boards ? In the manual i got "cousins" like i said to ED from the 1600 but not from the 1866, although that doesn't really prove anything it might say it isn't compatible and i was dumb enough to buy it before checking :screwy:

I you're up to it try the 1403 bios or maybe a newer one. It might make all the difference for your ram. Unless you're content to give it to the missus.

It will stay in the missus pc until the Saber arrives, then i get it back, 5-7 working days, not gonna miss it :D also gotta remember to get my 8370 back i see a 10/15fps difference in MP games from it to this one.

Yeah if the soft uses the CPUs threads definitely gains to be had

AFIK it removes the current related throttling but there's still a temp related throttle in place but it's quite high. For VRM

Well work took me to Toronto so it will be a late night getting home will try that ram for you tomorrow. I still have at least 2 hours diving to get home.

Ok new settings still a no go, ram at 1333 on auto actually does give me errors instead of a freeze for a change.

Ram doesn't cause Cpu freeze. Low volt does that.

4000mhz Pstate turbo is 1.41250v. Your doing pretty good, even passing Prime95 for 6 hours, but freezing is a result of instability. Transistors need more current or a lower temperature to run clocks like that.

Example: Below depicted is TEC cooled Sub freezing temps.

Attachments

• FX-4300 5300mhz II.png
    FX-4300 5300mhz II.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 68
4.7ghz - 1.308v
4.8ghz - 1.344v
4.9ghz - 1.368v
5.0ghz - 1.440v

Blend for 2h stable, talk about a wall there... out of curiosity do i call this good or average ? when it goes back to wife's pc it will go at 4.9 most likely (she has my old 212 Evo with 2xSP120 on push pull), i set it at 4.7 ~45c on a NXZT S340. Massive diference from my old Zalman Z9-U3 i never had decent cooling so 4.7 ran at ~55c.

And the Crosshair starts acting up again after being fine yesterday... GAH WHERES MY SABERKITTY!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If that thing is "acting up" then maybe you should change bios versions. I have pushed my board for 2 years and typically if it's getting wonky the BIOS is the culprit. Now that's usually my doing from pushing too hard. But I do have certain bios versions that I like to use because of stability and performance. 1403 is one of them but you'd have to use the direct flash to go backwards.

Makes sense, I started pushing her harder a couple weeks ago, went beyond the 62c to see what the 8370 could do, passed a few hours at low 70s. Add restarts and voltage changes, prime95. I will try the 1403 after picking up my kids.

They do as well on my wife's board but not on mine. Then again I did say she's going haywire. Tried Johan's tip about BIOS and tried to flash it, crashed in the middle of the update and has given me the CPU error ever since. Won't post no matter what I do, so letting her rest for a couple days, seemed to help last time. Saber arrives Tuesday hopefully so I'll be able to troubleshoot and decide what to do with it 😞

Did you do it through the ROG connect poet? That's the only way I do it anymore. The CPU doesn't even have to be in the board

They do as well on my wife's board but not on mine. Then again I did say she's going haywire. Tried Johan's tip about BIOS and tried to flash it, crashed in the middle of the update and has given me the CPU error ever since. Won't post no matter what I do, so letting her rest for a couple days, seemed to help last time. Saber arrives Tuesday hopefully so I'll be able to troubleshoot and decide what to do with it ��

You need to get one of these - I got one earlier for myself and it works great!
Can be a bit of a headache to figure out at first but once you do it's a snap to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-Pr...344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2b8ce400

If you do be sure to grab all the software listed for it.

Gee that's only $5 more than I paid for another BIOS chip

You need to get one of these - I got one earlier for myself and it works great!
Can be a bit of a headache to figure out at first but once you do it's a snap to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-Pr...344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2b8ce400

If you do be sure to grab all the software listed for it.

Doesn't the ROG Connect do the same ? might try later on, but atm my 980 is on the bottom slot on top of every single button and i don't have the patience to move it again. Going to enjoy a couple days PC free(ish) :D

Back