• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6350 + Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your cpu doesn't idle at 15c. That has been beaten to death. Have you stress tested that overclock? Hyper 212 EVO is kind of a low end cooler. Especially if you run a six or eight core.

Are you suggesting the CPU running at full load will only stay cool if the room temp is cool? I am talking about airflow, for instance if it's hot outside but there is a high wind chill factor; without your TShirt on you'll probably catch a cold :)

Also what I mean by idling at 15c ... If I leave my PC on just the desktop HWmonitor reads 15c temp for the CPU and stays around there.

My PSU is the Corsair RM750 mate.

Thanks

Are you suggesting the CPU running at full load will only stay cool if the room temp is cool? I am talking about airflow, for instance if it's hot outside but there is a high wind chill factor; without your TShirt on you'll probably catch a cold :)

Also what I mean by idling at 15c ... If I leave my PC on just the desktop HWmonitor reads 15c temp for the CPU and stays around there.

My PSU is the Corsair RM750 mate.

Thanks

You don't know much about physics do you? 15C is 59F. So unless your room is below freezing or you are running a waterloop with chilled water your cpu is not idling at 15C. HWmonitor will not show any semblance of accuracy unless your cpu has a load and it hits around 40C.

HWmonitor will not show any semblance of accuracy unless your cpu has a load and it hits around 40C.

That is exactly correct. Been about 20mos or so since the net was flooded in AMD forums about the fact that the package/core temp was not near accurate until under load and reading about 40c or higher.

The only time to give two shetts about idle temp is if it were something like 45c or so and at that point it might well point to a bad or poor contact between cpu and cpu cooler surface. Otherwise idle package/core temps are useless for AM3+.

RGone...

I know a bit about physics just not much about hardware monitor.

Ok I will rephrase it, Hardware monitor displays around 15c when I am not running anything. :)

Lol. When it's hot outside and the wind blows, you feel cooler because you sweat and the wind uses that as a catalyst to remove heat from your body. Your computer doesn't sweat.
Your computer will never go below the temp of the room it's in on air or water alone.
Matter of fact, it will almost always be a couple degrees above ambient due to the heat it generates by just being turned on.

I know a bit about physics just not much about hardware monitor.

Ok I will rephrase it, Hardware monitor displays around 15c when I am not running anything. :)

Follow cpu temp at idle and ignore the package temps. Good cooling air or liquid, the cpu and package temps should read close to the same. For example my sig rig at 4.9ghz will top out about 52c both cpu and package temp. When I add chilling to this configuration, both temps follow each other down and seem to stay within a marginal error of a couple deg Celsius.

Load temps matter the most at all times especially in the deep summer months. Your temps now will be different a couple months from now.

I brought a machine I had in my cold basement upstairs into a room in the house proper. I figure it was low to mid 40's in the basement. Upstairs it is about 68. My nice, stable overclock on a 6300 immediately failed. I dialed it back from 4.8 GHz to 4.6 GHz.

Yeppers. An easy 200mhz loss from temps to high.

Amazing how ambient temps comtroll our pc And overclocks.

Thanks!!

Back