• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 F@h unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ya I left the window open in my cave too. Thanks for the idea. I only have the one plugging away in there but the heat output is incredible. We had freezing rain last night so it was cold , even with the window open it was atleast 70° F in there.

Close ha, it's not going to be close. Johans 1 rig w the 2 580's is producing more then my 3 combined. Joni if you're going to be doing 100k I'll be limping along at 70-75k at best. Maybe I'll crank up my Athlon II I should be able to get at least another 1k a day out of that ;).

I have 2 x i5 2500 and 5 x i5 3570 folding at stock. Those are only good about 12k each. Not really the smartest thing to run those, but it's fun. Hopefully I'll get FX ready today.

I'm catching up neary at the 100k mark

Up date the gap keeps closing HA HA :sn::bump::sn::clap:

F@H comp.JPG

Last edited:
I have 2 x i5 2500 and 5 x i5 3570 folding at stock. Those are only good about 12k each. Not really the smartest thing to run those, but it's fun. Hopefully I'll get FX ready today.
WTH is stock? :) Are they K models? My 2500k at 4.5 does 23k on it's own about 19-20 with the gpu running.

I'm using 8 threads and it looke like Mandrakes was 1.325, I think there are differences from factory depending on the lot. I have 2 identical vid cards one is at 1.075 and the other is at 1.025 by default. Also the one with the lower volt performs better hands down

This is from one guy who measured the actual power consumption from alot of differend leakage FX-8150 processors. Quick google translation. So it would seem that VID 1.325 and 1.375 are ideal with air/water on high clocks.

Bigger leakage current = bigger power consumption -> bigger power consumption = bigger heat output -> bigger heat dissipation = bigger power consumption.

Low leakage current circuits "improve" the lower the temperature is decreased, since the leakage current decreases as the temperature decreases (eg, the difference between the power consumption of 50 c ->-120c is a really radical).

Lower leakage current chips again need more voltage (bigger VID) to function, but their power consumption (and heat dissipation), in the same voltage is significantly lower.

As the operating temperature of the chip is not in "optimal range" with normal cooling methods, a smaller leakage current chip is a better choice for normal use. If the heat output could be controlled, a big leakage current chip would be the best option.

Lower leakage current Bulldozer's will go further with traditional cooling methods (air & water), and require less power (= ran cooler). In theory, a large leakage current chip goes further with liquid nitrogen cooled, in theory.

In theory, because the large leakage current chips power consumption (peak) is even at around -180c such that the Grim Reaper usually collects either the CPU or the motherboard.

fx_pmax.jpg

Ya RGone told me a while ago that I'd have a great Dice or LN2 chip. Just makes it harder fo me to OC without bringing the roof down

To be really sure I would have to look again at my stock VID on my FX-8350, but I am pretty certain it is 1.375V. That is why it seems to do well on air and water. If I understand it correctly, it would n0t make as good a 'super-cold' cpu.
RGone...

So in theory mine would be considered good for "cold"? Oh boy now that would be interesting. MORE POWA!

In general; current company excepted, most generally just want get what they have to go fast. Heck I am still partial to fast as well. The reason I say this is the article linked below is from 2005, but it is a very good read.

Pretty good ideas of why the cpus have gone in the direction they have and of course what I have said before about the cpus that get the loving are the ones where the money really is. Servers and the like are the money silicon overall.

They hit pretty good on the hype that the cpu manufacturers get from PR departments. They have two speeds. WFO or nothing. So we spent a year listening to the Bulldozer hype and got a cpu that likely should never have seen daylight. The Piledriver is what most would have spent money on. However I suppose companies must stay viable just lke a candidate for public office. Dang I am wandering too far off the trail here.

Back on course the link has a lot of good info. Even info that tells a great deal about where we are today. What leakage is but not certain the leakage of X cpu can be determined too much before use. At least not as outlined in the linked article.
RGone...

When a CPU becomes a sieve. The real problem is leakage power.

Why did Prescott really fail? Will Multi-Core CPUs really be an answer to our performance prayers? What will future CPU architectures bring? If you seek the answers, join us on a quest for more processing power.

It nrvre in a million years would have occured to me that a company would hype a product that underperforms and in some cases totaally fails. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I've been working for GM for 25 yrs and never witnessed anything of that sort going on. :rofl::rofl::chair:
It's all about the money baby. :facepalm:

Here's another update. 5:30 am EDT
F530.PNG

I've managed to get the HTPC up to 12000 still not where I'd like but it'll have to do. Stiil don't know if it's enough to catch you yet Joniii but I'm trying.:attn:

It nrvre in a million years would have occured to me that a company would hype a product that underperforms and in some cases totaally fails.
I've been working for GM for 25 yrs and never witnessed anything of that sort going on.
It's all about the money baby.
Oh the sarcasm! :)

Back