• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8350 socket cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RockerGuy

So I am trying to cool the back of my socket of my 8350. Should I be sucking air from it or pushing air onto it?

Presently I am sucking air from it because, I want to draw the hot air out of the system. I don't want to push the hot air in the system.

What are your thoughts?

Thx

Any particular reason?

I'm not a Thermal Dynamics Engineer so I can't give you the scientific reason, but I have tested this on several systems. It works the same for all.

It's likely for the same reason why you will cool off better with a fan blowing directly on you rather than trying to blow the heat away from you.

Throw a fan on the Motherboard heatsink as well. I'll bet my money the NB heatsink is pretty darn hot to the touch on that board with the 8350 under load.

Throw a fan on the Motherboard heatsink as well. I'll bet my money the NB heatsink is pretty darn hot to the touch on that board with the 8350 under load.
My watercooler rad fan is sucking air directly from it though.

I drilled a hole in the back side & mobo tray, installed a little fan guard and a thin 70mm fan taking fresh air and blowing directly on the back of the socket.

100_0647.JPG
100_0648.JPG

I also mounted a fan directly to the VRM, even though the rad is pulling air up & out and the rear case fan is drawing out. The VRM fan is blowing directly on the heatsink.

100_0646.JPG

I run a fan, blowing on the motherboard heatsinks and one pulling air out of the backside of the socket, but then, I have had a lot of time to get my FX rigs figured out.

this is the storage box that hangs on my wall, look in the upper left and you can see the fan for the motherboard heatsinks, in the back I have some tiny fans that move air up into the socket area that is then extracted by the radiator fans, it runs an FX 9570 locked @5.2 24/7.

storage box.JPG

Last edited:
It really can't be that bad, it sits at 0 load most of the time as it is a file storage and look pretty rig most of the time.
now when I bench the cpu and the water cooled titan at the same time it gets quite warm in here rather quickly!!!!!

My watercooler rad fan is sucking air directly from it though.

I own a similar board M5A99x Evo, Johan also owned the M5A99 Fx pro. The Vrm section on that board is good but struggles when pushed with the Fx 8xxx onboard. I bet your socket temps drop 6-10c if you add a fan to the back of the board and the VRM/Nb heatsink.

Again, sucking.
Better to be blown.

Edit- lined all you guys up. Have at it. :D
LMAO Scotty!

Have you ever checked the wattage on that beast? Just curious.
I'll have to dig up a post for you Alaric. I had my 8350 @ 5.2 @ 1.58 v and my GTX 580 Oced running 3D Mark Vantage and was pulling 827 from the wall. Here

Last edited:
I own a similar board M5A99x Evo, Johan also owned the M5A99 Fx pro. The Vrm section on that board is good but struggles when pushed with the Fx 8xxx onboard. I bet your socket temps drop 6-10c if you add a fan to the back of the board and the VRM/Nb heatsink.

LMAO Scotty!

I'll have to dig up a post for you Alaric. I had my 8350 @ 5.2 @ 1.58 v and my GTX 580 Oced running 3D Mark Vantage and was pulling 827 from the wall. Here
My socket temps already dropped 15 C from socket fan sucking. I guess it doesn't suck! Pun intended.

Two of the Pro versions for me, and yeah, the hex cores were about all that was fun to OC them. LOL

I gotta a similar setup on my case. I gotta look for a screen for the fan. I hate dust in my pc.

How do you install a fan blowing on Northbridge?

My screen is just to keep cat paws out of the fan blades. Flash photos really highlight how much I need to get out the canned air. lol

I made a loop with a zip-tie through the top two fan holes, then hung the loop around the top of the VRM heatsink. My "VRM fan" is the stock CPU fan from the FX 8320 cooler.

Back