• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8350 socket cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It would make sense. I have no idea where that naming convention came from, unless a prototype or pre-production version turned out to have some major flaw(s) and Rev. 2.0 was the one that made it to production. I would be interested to find out the story behind that, though.

There's a version 2 of that board, which I have. So I suppose my board is holding me back?
Just so we are on the same page, I have the M5A99X Evo you have the M5A990 Fx Pro. The only real difference between them is the ability to run Sli @ 16 x. That said, in my experience once I started pushing my Fx 8350 on the M5A99X evo I was unable to ever get it stable, "2 Hours prime blend for me" at or above 4.5. The board just cannot supply the 8 core with enough clean voltage to keep it stable. Take into account my chip needs more voltage then average. Once I went to a top tier board, ie. my Sabertooth and CHV I was able to get the chip stable above 4.5 Ghz. In my opinion, yes your board may be holding you back.

Blasphemy! You do know this is OCF, right? LOL
I know sometimes this is more about the love of the hobby rather than the yield. I know it would be really hard to get anymore out of this board, but since I'm on holidays, I felt stubborn.

I ended up blocking all the side vents to create tunneling effect in my case. Making air move in one direction. I also dropped the FSB & increased the multiplier. Took a bit of guess & test.

Since building this pc, this is the most time I had playing with it!

The more you toy with it, the more you're going to learn what the setup likes and doesn't. I suggest taking notes Rocker, it makes getting back to a certain Oc a little easier, when one is starting to really twist the knobs.

This^ Starting from scratch every time, especially with all the knobs and dials FX has to fiddle with, is a pain after a while. It creates a pretty step learning curve, though. Having to do it over and over will make some things second nature, but you pay for it with time. You pays your money/time/patience and takes your chances. LOL

I've taken notes all along. Everything I've tweaked is noted. Not my first time OC'ing.

Just my first time on AMD.

I think Ive finally reached the stability ceiling.

I've taken notes all along. Everything I've tweaked is noted. Not my first time OC'ing.

Just my first time on AMD.

I think Ive finally reached the stability ceiling.

Post up some screen shots of Cpu-z tabs, Cpu, Spd and memory. Maybe well se something that may be causing you to hit the ceiling. Though, I believe you are definitely getting to the limits on the board.

I don't want to spend more time on this. I already spent about 2 days on this. Once I start something, I get hook on it & have to finish.

I still have to fix my motorcycle. I believe my starter clutch is done! Alaric might know better.

All a bad starter clutch will do is let the starter motor spin without turning over the engine. Given the time of year and your location, did it sit for 3 or more weeks since it last started?

Was working until I pulled the fuel filter to clean it.

Is there a way to check if the starter motor is turning the engine?

Pull a spark plug and feel for compression when you're turning it over.
Check the basics first. Got fuel, got spark?
I highly doubt the starter is the problem.

I got spark, I tried that. Funny thing is I have fuel, I smell it after numerous starts. What I don't know is if I have pressure.

I disconnected the fuel line to see if there is constant pressure. The pressure builds up but doesn't maintain. The fuel falls right back down when I have it in a column.

I would first check in the tank to see if any fuel lines popped off their fittings. If you were in there something could have gotten bumped, reusing fuel line clamps, etc..
The fuel pump only cycles as a function check before the bike starts. It's supposed to run for a couple seconds and pressurize the fuel system until you start it.
Starter: You should hear the engine turning over. If you were in the tank pulling the filter, the odds are that's where you'll find the problem. Not always, but often enough.

Back