• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-9590 Sabertooth 2.0 PC shuts down at 69 degrees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blitzkrieg469

Upgraded from 8320e to 9590 on Sabertooth 990FX 2.0. Boot to bios and temp starts around 41c then slowly climbs to high 60s then pc shuts off with no errors , warnings, nothing. Wait a while, and does the same thing. I'm confused. If I put back in the 8320e , all is fine.

Sabertooth 2.0 (Bios ver. 2901)
1000w PSU
GSkill 1866 8*4
GTX 980 9Latest drivers)
Corsair Air 540 case, 2-140s pushing on front, 1-140 pulling out on back, 2-140s pushing thru rad at the top (Corsair H100i GTX)

Sounds like it's overheating to me. The 9590 will run with 1.5-1.55V at stock and need some real cooling to tame them. I would also remove two sticks of ram 1866 isn't always easy for all FX CPUs to handle especially with 32 GB that seems like an awful lot of RAM for most people

Yeah I wasn't sure what to make of his description but that's what I got out of it.

I am with those guys. And because of the AIO, no airflow on the VRM section.

GIve them some air ;)

There are 3 fans pushing out, sorry. The one on the back and the 2 on the rad, they are pushing out thru the rad out the top.
I have tried it with just 2 sticks, and I've tried it with different memory
I tried a box fan blowing on the VRMs but I may not have waited for them to cool enough before rebooting and trying again
Unless my H100i is bad, it should be plenty to cool the cpu.
I didn't pay much for the 9590 so I'm not too upset, I just hate having a problem and not know what it is...lol...I'm going to figure out a way to cool the VRMs and see if it helps.

Thanks

h100i is certainly "enough". 0.0772c/w Q̣̇; you'd have to be at 30c+ ambient and running crazy voltages to saturate that thing (granted, thats at max fan speeds).

I would say in the interim; just slap a fan in blowing directly on the vrm (hang it with wire/zip ties/ whatever) and if you find that is working; come up with a more permanent solution

It shouldnt behave that way for sure, but at stock speeds, that cpu is 220w. Add to that it is using warmed case air to cool and can be close to 30c, will certainly not help.

Anyhoo, again, it still shouldnt run away like that in the bios. Pump not working poor mount... something.

Sorry there are very few AIO coolers that are suited for an FX8XXX cpu @ 4.7 GHZ + ...... given that 9590 will pull 1.5v+ at stock. My FX8370 or 8350 didn't need that much VCore for 5 GHZ .... Sorry but you are way undercooled.

Sorry there are very few AIO coolers that are suited for an FX8XXX cpu @ 4.7 GHZ + ...... given that 9590 will pull 1.5v+ at stock. My FX8370 or 8350 didn't need that much VCore for 5 GHZ .... Sorry but you are way undercooled.

I ran my 8320 at 5.0 on a 212 evo. This isn't a be-all, end-all answer.

It shouldnt behave that way for sure, but at stock speeds, that cpu is 220w. Add to that it is using warmed case air to cool and can be close to 30c, will certainly not help.

Anyhoo, again, it still shouldnt run away like that in the bios. Pump not working poor mount... something.

Agreed; many factors here. In a "ideal scenario" the h100i should be plenty sufficient though. I haven't seen many people fuss about its capabilities. I've seen numerous users of 9590s using the h100i without any issues at all. Sounds like a case air flow problem to me!

It should not shut down at 69c anyway...

Again, VRM cooling is the key IM(H)O. Cooling the back of the socket can help as well.

They lose stability but don't shut down (75c is the treshold IIRC). At least my 8350 (on Sabertooth R2.0) was not.

That can be a stability loss issue with shutdown, VRM's crapping out, or just not enough juice for the CPU as the temp rises. Might be worth to add a notch or 2 to vCore, with the case open and fas at max speed, just to check.

I'm suprised no one had mentioned you normally don't need 1.5v's to the CPU to get it's stock speeds.
The 9xxx chips tend to be good at running well with lower voltages, this making the chip run a little cooler. Did just that with mine last summer: 9590 run.jpg

For stock speeds you can run them with 1.45v's or so, sometimes less depending on the chip used.
You will note a drop in temps overall but the cooling suggestions made before this post should be followed as well, every little bit helps.

Back