• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx8370 oc help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J0ker

Registered
When I run small FFT for around 10-15 minutes it passes, when I run blend it fails after a few minutes. Can someone please explain why? This is my first time overclocking

Attachments

• overclock.png
    overclock.png
    382.2 KB · Views: 154
Blend stresses ram also. Check your timings and voltage.
Pretty low vcore for 4.7

Blend stresses ram also. Check your timings and voltage.
Pretty low vcore for 4.7

Ram timings and voltage are set to stock. Since it passed small fft after 15 minutes and fails blend after a couple minutes shouldn't that mean cpu oc is good and there's something else wrong?

15 minutes isn't enough of any stress test to confirm stability, 2 hours minimum. If you're failing Blend I'd bet it's due to the stress that 16g of ram is putting on the Imc. What are the entire specs of the system and what is the Cpu Nb voltage set at. I also agree with Scotty 1.36 V is pretty low for 4.7 Ghz.

15 minutes isn't enough of any stress test to confirm stability, 2 hours minimum. If you're failing Blend I'd bet it's due to the stress that 16g of ram is putting on the Imc. What are the entire specs of the system and what is the Cpu Nb voltage set at. I also agree with Scotty 1.36 V is pretty low for 4.7 Ghz.

FX8370
Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
16gb ddr3 1866 trident x
EVGA G2 1300W
850 EVO 250gb
WD Black 1tb
Saphire r9 390x

cpu/nb is at 1.3

Raised cpu voltage to 1.38

Last edited:
many 8 core cpu's take 1.404 to run 4.7, test it at 1.38, if it runs longer and fails raise it another bump.
at 16 gigs raise the cpu/nb voltage a bump or two.

and a lot of these 6 and 8 cores don't like 4 sticks of ram.
just saw the spd, you have 2x8 gigs.

many 8 core cpu's take 1.404 to run 4.7, test it at 1.38, if it runs longer and fails raise it another bump.
at 16 gigs raise the cpu/nb voltage a bump or two.

and a lot of these 6 and 8 cores don't like 4 sticks of ram.
just saw the spd, you have 2x8 gigs.

I have the cpu/nb voltage at 1.3

The best answer is, it passes fft but not blend because it isn't stable. You should be able to get your nb frequency up to 2600 with 1.3v and you probably need way more voltage for 4.7 What are you cooling with? You're temps don't look quite right to me.

Last edited:
The best answer is, it passes fft but not blend because it isn't stable. You should be able to get your nb frequency up to 2600 with 1.3v and you probably need way more voltage for 4.7 What are you cooling with? You're temps don't look quite right to me.

H110igt. Are they too hot??

Not too hot, I would expect them to be lower at that voltage though. I would also expect there to be less of a spread between socket and core temps than i'm seeing.

Not too hot, I would expect them to be lower at that voltage though. I would also expect there to be less of a spread between socket and core temps than i'm seeing.

That's disappointing -_- I have 4 fans on the radiator and while I was doing the stress test they were set to max

I have the same cooler, and although I don't have stock fans I didn't see a noticeable decrease in temps with my noctua's. I'm also using 75% of my ram for the blend test, so it's stressin' pretty hard. Looks like your socket is going to run out of headroom before your chip does.
4800FSBeXtreme.PNG

Last edited:
Any reason why there's that big of a difference in my core and socket temps?

Someone more qualified would have to answer that, all I can say is A)I would expect your socket temps to be 4-5c cooler than they are and B)If my chip was running at that voltage I would expect lower temps. Although I have an 8350, not an 8370, and can't say anything about it other than what I'd expect.

The temp/voltage relationship isn't an exact science. A lot of that depends on the CPU and it's "leakage"
Typically a CPU that can run faster at lower voltages is a low leaker and will run a tad hotter.
Your socket temps can be helped with some extra fans. One blowing down onto the VRM heatsink around the CPU and one on the back of the board blowing at the socket itself. You'll gain 10c that way.
As for the original question, a touch more V_Core and I would set the ram at 1.65v, just a touch over stock voltage of 1.6v

Here's some examples of fans

Capturefan.PNG vrm fans.jpg

The temp/voltage relationship isn't an exact science. A lot of that depends on the CPU and it's "leakage"
Typically a CPU that can run faster at lower voltages is a low leaker and will run a tad hotter.
Your socket temps can be helped with some extra fans. One blowing down onto the VRM heatsink around the CPU and one on the back of the board blowing at the socket itself. You'll gain 10c that way.
As for the original question, a touch more V_Core and I would set the ram at 1.65v, just a touch over stock voltage of 1.6v

Here's some examples of fans

View attachment 172654View attachment 172655

How did you attach those fans?

The one on the back is two sided tape and the others were cable ties IIRC. Not my pic but I do know they work. Two sided tape will work for them as well if you just use the hub area of the fan

Back