• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Rig for 800$ - best for it's money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YanWest

Hi all.
Just uploaded new video about gaming rig for 800$.

Here is config mentioned in this video:

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 AM3+
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R929WF3-4GD Radeon R9 290 4GB
RAM: HyperX Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III
Power supply: Corsar CX600
Case: DEEPCOOL TESSERACT

Let me know what you think about it. :salute:

Last edited:
I would never put the 8350 on that MSI board, it's asking for throttling issues.

Yeah a better MB and this would be pretty good. Value for the money is there. Would like to see OS in there since oems get it pretty cheap. But if the thing catches fire or dies what good is it.

I would avoid the V300 and get something from Samsung, SanDisk or Crucial. The V300 has the highest return rate and the worse perf of the whole SSD industry!

The mobo won't cut it, as said by everyone above.

I'd go Asrock Pro3 and i5 4690K... It should not cost more than a decent motherbard (Sabertooth 990FX...)+FX 8350, and outperforms it by far for gaming, unless you take the 8350 to 4.7/4.8GHz. That will need a very high end air cooler/AIO, or a custom loop, all together with a 225W TDP (same as FX9590).

Yep, change the Kingston SSD out for a more reputable. The V300 in particular is one of the units Kingston was caught doing a bait and switch tactic. And quite frankly, I would avoid them regardless if they want to pull that Comcast-like crap.

Samsung, SanDisk, Crucial, Intel, Plextor, all fine choices.

Oh dang, I missed the Kingston RAM on AMD... That's even more trouble.

Why? Incompatible RAM? Rare beast, there.

Yeah, I'd stay away from anything Kingston unless you'd like to roll the dice and see if they lie (yes, they lied.) about product specs again, like they did with the awful V300. PNY did the same thing.

Makes you wonder what else they'll bait and switch you with.

Yeah, Samsung/Intel/Crucial are good SSD vendors.

And you probably want a 990FX if you're planning on overclocking that 8350.

Why? Incompatible RAM? Rare beast, there.

Yeah, I'd stay away from anything Kingston unless you'd like to roll the dice and see if they lie (yes, they lied.) about product specs again, like they did with the awful V300. PNY did the same thing.

Makes you wonder what else they'll bait and switch you with.

Yeah, Samsung/Intel/Crucial are good SSD vendors.

And you probably want a 990FX if you're planning on overclocking that 8350.

Not a rare beast with FX and Kingston. At all.
In fact, I saw at least three cases within the last month of it.

Not necessarily 990FX, just a board with a sufficient VRM. (8+2 or higher)

It will be a challenge to build even a moderately serious gaming computer on a $800 budget. I agree with what others have said about the MSI board and the Kingston RAM. MSI boards are often on sale for a good reason.

I didn't even catch the SSD... yikes...stay away from those too!!!

Yan, I personally appreciate the time and effort it took for you to make a 15 minute video (can't say I watched it, not sure I want to spend 15 minutes going over this PC) and list this build, but, the parts leave a lot to be desired. Feel free to ask questions here, THEN build your rig and make your vid. As it stands, that is a questionable rig friend... Like trents said, its a challenge to do it (RIGHT) on that budget and it shows.

Personally, I don't think that there will be any issues with this system and for it's money it's really hard to find something better than this.
As for motherboard.
I'm sure that there will be problems with overclocking but overclocking is not supposed to be in this rig.

Personally, I don't think that there will be any issues with this system and for it's money it's really hard to find something better than this.
As for motherboard.
I'm sure that there will be problems with overclocking but overclocking is not supposed to be in this rig.

LOL! There will be problems running OC'd or running stock...

It'd be really easy to do better under $800.

LOL! There will be problems running OC'd or running stock...

It'd be really easy to do better under $800.

Name it, pls. )
But in terms of gaming performance. What exactly Today can be better for the Games, with 800$ budget.

Want it at $800? Swap to a 290:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NxJcmG

Less power draw (especially with the 970), more reliable (SSD isn't crap, motherboard won't die, RAM isn't known for incompatibility), upgradable to an i7 if you need more threads.
I like the hardware in this build. He is correct.

These people are right though, that motherboard will likely throttle that CPU at stock speeds since its a 4+1 phase and there are NO HEATSINKS on the VRM. Overclocking would be out of the question. There is a huge thread at OCN that shows what boards are good for the AMD octo's, and that board isn't one of them I am afraid.
http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

If the G46 above with a HEATSINKED (same 4+1) power area throttles, this one would too...

Can't say something bad about V300, it works in my second laptop with Ubuntu on it.
Pretty fast and smooth.

As for motherboard, I think that MSI 970A-G46 will be just perfect for 8350 without overclock.
I still sure that AMD has better perfomance\price ratio.
However I prefer Intel only. )

Also, I want to make another video about "350$ gaming Rig".

What do you think about this:

AMD Athlon 5350 2.05 GHz APU ($60)
Rosewill Ultra High Gloss Micro ATX Case + 400W PSU ($50)
ASUS Micro ATX AM1M-A Motherboard ($35)
XFX R7 260X 2GB Graphics Card ($110)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB DDR3 RAM ($40)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive ($55)

I want to build and test this "little-****" and see what it capable in games.

That board is not viable for your $800 build at stock. Period. :)

As far as the $350 build and what it can do, look at our review on the front page of the 260x. Cpu is of course different, but, you will find its not much of a gamer at 1080. $350 gaming machine i would tell the person to save more money. What is the point of pc gaming if you can turn the settings up enough to look as good or better than a console.

For your videos... Shorten them 15m is an eternity for what you are covering, imho.

Can't say something bad about V300, it works in my second laptop with Ubuntu on it.
Pretty fast and smooth.

As for motherboard, I think that MSI 970A-G46 will be just perfect for 8350 without overclock.
I still sure that AMD has better perfomance\price ratio.
However I prefer Intel only. )

Also, I want to make another video about "350$ gaming Rig".

What do you think about this:

AMD Athlon 5350 2.05 GHz APU ($60)
Rosewill Ultra High Gloss Micro ATX Case + 400W PSU ($50)
ASUS Micro ATX AM1M-A Motherboard ($35)
XFX R7 260X 2GB Graphics Card ($110)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB DDR3 RAM ($40)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive ($55)

I want to build and test this "little-****" and see what it capable in games.

You thinking that MSI board will work with an 8350 shows your inexperience with AMD.
I wouldn't even trust a 6300 on that board.

I think that proposed rig will barely run 720p on modern games. That CPU isn't cut out for gaming.

Back