• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 loves the FSB!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I cant back of the vMCH very much, it will boot at lower voltage but not pass large FFTs. Im on water but got a fan over the CPU block to cool mosfets, does very good also for the NB cooler, it feels almost cold even at +0.3v.

Hey I'm new here :beer:

So I've just ordered the GA-X38-DS4 to replace my old board that is screwed. I had the GA-X38-DQ6 and was having problems overclocking to even just 3GHz and having it prime95 stable. After switching to PC-8500 DDR2 from PC-6400, overclocking was much better and I did not even have one boot failure.
So I will have soon:
GA-X38-DS4
Q6600 G0 + Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme
4 x 1GB Kingston HyperX PC-8500 (1066MHz)
Corsair HX620W PSU

So I may not even have to up the FSB or MCH voltage to run 9x333=3GHz?
Has anyone had success using the following BIOS settings?

Mult: x9
FSB: 333
Performance: Turbo (Or does this need to be standard?)
MCH Strap: 3.20B [333] (gives 1066MHz)
CPU vCore: 1.30v [or less] (all other voltages normal)

Just filed my taxes!! $2800 aaaahahahahaha. not including the $800 refund all of us citizens are suppose to be getting later in the year.

This board will be mine here shortly!! Can't wait!!

True true. I think 3.6-3.7 on a E6750 would be nice. But I also think that 3.6 on a Quad would be better in the long run. I only plan on air cooling though. I'll lap the cooler heat sink and chip most likely.

I'm lookin to run the Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4, 2x2GB Gskill 1000mhz F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ, Vista ult 64 bit system (maybe XP64 bit), crossfire 3870s, 850watt PSU, 2 HDDs, TV tuner card for recording, 1900x1200 monitor.

with those components I think I have a lot of options on how to overclock my setup. With minor details a few are:
- To be somewhat safe do 3600Mhz I think 450 fsb with 8x multiplier and 1:1 ratio for memory at 900Mhz 5-5-3-12 should be fine on either the Q6600 or the E6750.. . I've read/seen the performance differance b/t 900mhz mem and 1066 and it's not that much, maybe 0.5% more capable.
- More darring = 3675, 525mhz 7x mult at 1:1, 1050 mem at 5-5-5-12T
- 5:6 on the Q6600 at 416fsb 9x multi would give me 1000mhz on the button.

here is a thread where a bunch of people are acheiving 1000mhz pluss on this Gskill 2x2Gb memory http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2517286#post2517286

Nice setup, its exactly what Im getting. Already ordered and on the way, I will receive it Monday(tomorrow) and have it done by Tuesday. Ive got a 1kw BFG PS, 7 fan stacker 830 case, and 1kw koolance kit for watercooling the processor. Ill post my results in a new thread then. I think the GSkill pc8000 2x2gig kit is the best deal out there. Im pondering purchasing another before they disappear or go up in price.

BTW all, I helped my friend build a new intel setup with a gigabyte p35 and e6850 proc. He has it running at 4.05ghz on air with a Zalman 9500 or 9700 - stable. I think he posted somewhere on Toms Hardware's forums with details. If anyone is intrested in specifics Ill get them to you. Im not sure what stepping that proc is atm.

Oh yea, obviously Im a newb on these forums :)
------

Edit:

I may not have the mounting hardware for my waterblock to fit socket 775... I bought the cooling system a year ago so I might have it around. Have been running AMD since then... this will actually be my own first intel system sparing an old old 486dx from way back.

Anyhow, stopped by a local shop and got a super cheap alluminum heatsink that covers 95tdp max(better be a G0) which kinda scares me. Was only $12.99... wouldve gotten something better if they had it and it sucks that CompUSA closed or I wouldve gotten a Zalman. Anyway, will update l8r. If I dont have the mounting equipment, expect it Thur or Fri. Id get it overnighted but next day shipping is $45 for a $17 part. I also expect 2 addition and identical GSkill kits later in the week.

Last edited:
This board is on my wish list at NewEgg, along with an E8400 and some RAM. Just got an Antec P182 ($45.00 after MIR) from Fry's. I don't play games but I try to contribute to the Rosetta program. My old computer, a P4, 1 GB, 1.6 GHZ isn't very fast (Blinding Flash of the Obvious). Thanks for posting this on the X38-DS4. It's been a while since I built a rig (remember the 486s?) so I am looking forward to the experience.
Blessings to all,
ms

So, I'm "all in" for Gigabyte's GA-X38-DS4 board when low and behold, I see they now have a GA-EX38-DS4. This happened today??? Can anyone tell me the difference... PLEASE?:bang head

X38 vs EX38

So, I'm "all in" for Gigabyte's GA-X38-DS4 board when low and behold, I see they now have a GA-EX38-DS4. This happened today??? Can anyone tell me the difference... PLEASE?:bang head

The comparison sheet has a couple differences:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...Socket 775&ChipsetType=Intel X38&VGAOnBoard=N

I am only going to list what is different comparing the EX38 to the original X38

GA-Ex38-DS4
"Revolution energy saving design with DES technology. "
Confirmed DDR-1200 support*
Dual Ethernet
No on-MB 12v power connector for dual vid card setups. In its place is a "Phase LED".*

Though the x38 mentions "silent pipe" I see no differences in the chipset cooling between the two.

*The DDR-1200 support is touted amongst both boards on the website but the board itself on the GA-X48-DS4 states 1066 DDR, and so does the manual.

* The manual describes the Phase LED as the following:
"The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs."

Concerning the differences, I dont think its much if any of an advancement. I dont want any additional power features complicating my system(I turn em off), but it may be useful to you since your not gaming and if your not overclocking. The DDR 1200 ability I suspect has always been there, just not confirmed or was enabled by a BIOS update. The dual ethernet is probably useless to most, I believe someone mentioned that earlier(This isnt Asus with their defective LAN ports).

The phase LED is neat but nothing that really matters IMO and the loss of the supplementary power for the cards is questionable. Perhaps some power enhancments were made that proved it to be unessesary, but I would perfer to have too much power available VS not enough. Its just a 4 pin molex that is in a pretty good spot so everyone probably has extras and isnt likely to interfere with cable management. Though, seriously, I dont get why MB's would need all this power in the first place. I am coming from an AMD background so maybe Intel's chipsets use more power or something since high power vid cards have their own dedicated power input jacks on them.

All in all I expect the differences are neglidgable. Then again I could be a bit biased or wishful since I do have a GA-X38-DS4 arriving today...

Last edited:
Heh, see my thread is still bubbling to the top every now and then. :)

I have two seperate 50mm fans on my "wishlist" at several different vendors, with no success yet. So it's still cruising along with an 80mm fan keeping it all cool.. And doing an excellent job with my E8400 at 482FSB at all-stock MCH volts with timings at 4-4-4-10 at tRd 7.

Heh, see my thread is still bubbling to the top every now and then. :)

I have two seperate 50mm fans on my "wishlist" at several different vendors, with no success yet. So it's still cruising along with an 80mm fan keeping it all cool.. And doing an excellent job with my E8400 at 482FSB at all-stock MCH volts with timings at 4-4-4-10 at tRd 7.

Sweet. Thats quite promising. This is the closing thing to a review of this board that Ive found on the web. Also intrested to see how the build nearly identical mine is turning out.

Getting mine tomarrow!

So you think i should place an order for a 50mm fan for the NB? i plan on running it @ 450fsb as long as i get a good chip :beer:

Getting mine tomarrow!

So you think i should place an order for a 50mm fan for the NB? i plan on running it @ 450fsb as long as i get a good chip :beer:

Im not exactly qualified to make that determination. IMO, more fans are better but my case is practically a fan itself so I dont have a good reference.

Oh yea, its POSTing on first boot. Been building it while working. Just about to get off and load vista and such.

Getting mine tomarrow!

Mines running at 450fsb now with no voltage increases. I havnt ran any stress test other than gaming but its worked flawless so far. I should be receiving an adapter for my water block today and then I will start getting the real OCing on

I was really excited about this thread, but then I noticed something...

1) OP posts some amazing numbers about board 'X'
2) A bunch of folks post in this thread claiming they ordered board 'X' based on OP's amazing results.
3) Noone is posting a followup on their OC results.
4) OP is banned...

Was he banned for falsifying his numbers? Have any of you guys managed to reproduce his results with this board?

I hope I'm wrong because this board looks like my best option right now. (Intel has pushed the X48 release date to mid-march) :bang head

He must have just gotten banned

I bought the X38-DS4, its a fantastic board. Im running my E8400 @ 4Ghz / 1.28v

I was really excited about this thread, but then I noticed something...

1) OP posts some amazing numbers about board 'X'
2) A bunch of folks post in this thread claiming they ordered board 'X' based on OP's amazing results.
4) OP is banned...

Was he banned for falsifying his numbers? Have any of you guys managed to reproduce his results with this board?

I hope I'm wrong because this board looks like my best option right now. (Intel has pushed the X48 release date to mid-march) :bang head

I am following up. Patience... :)

I've heard the x48 isnt that great. Kinda like the p35 to x38 except no more PCIE lanes which was important to me as I have a crossfire setup.

Anyhow, Im working to stabalize my system at 4.05ghz w/ an FSB of 445 and 9x multi. I was running 40 loops of 3dmark overnight but it hung on em somewhere. Ill get the specs in my sig at somepoint. For now Ill post my hardware below

Q6600 - G0(CPUVID @ 1.6v)
2x2 Gigs of G.Skill PC8000 (Ive got another kit to put in once stable)
^5-5-5-15^
GA-X38-DS4 - Original BIOS
1000 Watt BFG Power supply
2 x HIS 3870(Originals)

Koolance 1000 watt heat disapation kit(CPU Only)
CMS Stacker 830
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

I dont think I left anything out. Its early here.

Also, for a taste of scores, I benched via 3dmark06 last night and the total was ~19300

:beer:

4) OP is banned...

Well, the OP posted as recently as yesterday, so it just happened. But I'm pretty confident in saying that even if he did falsify numbers, that wouldn't be why he was banned. That just isn't the way they work around here.

I just got an x38 Asus board and I'm posting my results as I work on Overclocking it. So far it is doing MUCH better than my old 680i.

I want to overclock with this board. I have this kind of ram

ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

Processor - q6600 g0
Antec 650 Watt PS
Gigabyte X38-DS4 motherboard.
RaptorX HDD - Raid / Vista
8800 GTX video card.
Zaleman 9700 heatsink.

I don't know much about changing in the bios for overclocking. I don't know whats safe or not? I know how to get into the bios thou and change things. Is the ram I have ok to overclock my PC with or no? Can someone help me out please. Let me know if you need any more info please. I have xfire and msn if someone would like to help me out in a chat or something. Let me know your thoughts guys

Thanks much!

Back