• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 loves the FSB!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want to overclock with this board. I have this kind of ram

ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

Processor - q6600 g0
Antec 650 Watt PS
Gigabyte X38-DS4 motherboard.
RaptorX HDD - Raid / Vista
8800 GTX video card.
Zaleman 9700 heatsink.

I don't know much about changing in the bios for overclocking. I don't know whats safe or not? I know how to get into the bios thou and change things. Is the ram I have ok to overclock my PC with or no? Can someone help me out please. Let me know if you need any more info please. I have xfire and msn if someone would like to help me out in a chat or something. Let me know your thoughts guys

Thanks much!

I had the TWIN2X2048-6400 kit (2x1GB sticks) in my X38-DQ6. I did have trouble overclocking, but it must have been the way I was doing it.
Much better luck with the X38-DS4 and different approach.
I suggest leaving the DDR timings all on AUTO while you test your CPU, then adjust the DDR timings. Set the DDR OverVolt to +0.2 or +0.3 if you you like.

I don't know that much about all this. do you think you can talk with me on msn messenger or something and work with me on it? I don't know exactly what to change. Should I get better memory then what I have?

I don't know that much about all this. do you think you can talk with me on msn messenger or something and work with me on it? I don't know exactly what to change. Should I get better memory then what I have?

3Ghz should be easy. And performance is good.
These settings may work. They do for me. Download CoreTemp or Everest Ultimate to read temp. Do not let temps go over 70ºc on any 1 of the 4 cores under 100% CPU load. Use Prime95 or Everest Ultimate to stability test the overclock.
Press "Del" key on startup to get BIOS Setup:

CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): 333
System Memory Multiplier: 2.40B
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: +0.2v

Leave all other settings default on the MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) page.
Do whatever setting you like with rest of BIOS options. 3Ghz should be fine on default voltages.
Try Performance Enhance: Standard (if it fails).

Let us know how that goes. You will need to fix up the DDR2 timings after you have it 6>9 hours 100% load stable. If you have XP/Vista x64 get Prime95 v25.5 for testing (use Round Off Checking in P95). If you use 32-bit OS get v25.5a of P95. P95 = Prime95.

i'll give that a try... can I play games tonight after I get the new levels and stability test a little later tonight and give the result tomorrow them on the 6-9 hourS?

quick update, I did thou settings you told me and i'm at 3.0ghz. I'll try to do the testing tonight while I go to bed. Only thing was, I had to change the Performance enhancer to Standard instead of extreme

OC.jpg

There are close to final results. Still have pushed any little buttons or messed with mem timings. Hopefully I can hit 20k by the end. Also, note I just started the proc OC late last night and it still may not be stable. No problems today so far however.

There are close to final results. Still have pushed any little buttons or messed with mem timings. Hopefully I can hit 20k by the end. Also, note I just started the proc OC late last night and it still may not be stable. No problems today so far however.

Sweet numbers. I've got the same memory, same board, and an E8400 coming so I'm stoked.

btw, why are you running your westy at such a low rez?

Another update... I put the ddr2 at normal voltage and everything like you explained. Everything seems to be up and running good. I'm at 3ghz. I'm running prime 95 at home. I looked at it b4 I went to work and so far no problems. When I get home from work I'll let you all know my results. But everything looks like it's running smoothly.

3Ghz should be easy. And performance is good.
These settings may work. They do for me. Download CoreTemp or Everest Ultimate to read temp. Do not let temps go over 70ºc on any 1 of the 4 cores under 100% CPU load. Use Prime95 or Everest Ultimate to stability test the overclock.
Press "Del" key on startup to get BIOS Setup:

CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): 333
System Memory Multiplier: 2.40B
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: +0.2v

Leave all other settings default on the MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) page.
Do whatever setting you like with rest of BIOS options. 3Ghz should be fine on default voltages.
Try Performance Enhance: Standard (if it fails).

Let us know how that goes. You will need to fix up the DDR2 timings after you have it 6>9 hours 100% load stable. If you have XP/Vista x64 get Prime95 v25.5 for testing (use Round Off Checking in P95). If you use 32-bit OS get v25.5a of P95. P95 = Prime95.

I checked at home and they said last that everything was working good. Are you using the same exact ram as me in your setup, which is the x38-ds4 you have ? if so, what cpu and how far have you gone with it?

Sweet numbers. I've got the same memory, same board, and an E8400 coming so I'm stoked.

btw, why are you running your westy at such a low rez?

Its the native resolution for the display. Ive went through 2 other TV's(one is returned) that ar 1080P. Their native is 1920x1080, but they both had issues displaying red on black. The first was a Scepter 42HD(something like that), and the second is another Westinghouse which looks awsome for movies but has the same problem though not quite as pronounced. This one is perfect just low on Res. Ill probably try for a new one next year. I even had a Best Buy rep bring a laptop out and hook it to a Samsung 40" 120hz and it appeared to have the same problem, though their laptop wouldnt reach its native resolution so it may not have been fair.

Im just hoping in a year, whatever the problem is that it will be straightened out. Its too hard to downgrade back to a "24, or even "30 so Im stuck with this for now. Btw, it is a little on the too big side. I never thought it could be, but at least for multiplayer Im not confident I can pick up on all the little things at the edges in my peripheral vision.

Its the native resolution for the display. Ive went through 2 other TV's(one is returned) that ar 1080P. Their native is 1920x1080, but they both had issues displaying red on black. The first was a Scepter 42HD(something like that), and the second is another Westinghouse which looks awsome for movies but has the same problem though not quite as pronounced. This one is perfect just low on Res. Ill probably try for a new one next year. I even had a Best Buy rep bring a laptop out and hook it to a Samsung 40" 120hz and it appeared to have the same problem, though their laptop wouldnt reach its native resolution so it may not have been fair.

Im just hoping in a year, whatever the problem is that it will be straightened out. Its too hard to downgrade back to a "24, or even "30 so Im stuck with this for now.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I've been very happy with my Westinghouse LVM-37w1 1920X1080 37". It's been great with games, desktop, avi, etc.

Btw, it is a little on the too big side. I never thought it could be, but at least for multiplayer Im not confident I can pick up on all the little things at the edges in my peripheral vision.

Yeah there's a specific formula for calculating the ideal screen width for your given viewing distance. 37" is just about perfect for my view distance of 5 feet.

Where did that avatar come from? Makes me think of Bionic Commando

It's from the old DOS game Wasteland.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I've been very happy with my Westinghouse LVM-37w1 1920X1080 37". It's been great with games, desktop, avi, etc.

Yeah there's a specific formula for calculating the ideal screen width for your given viewing distance. 37" is just about perfect for my view distance of 5 feet.

It's from the old DOS game Wasteland.

It wasnt an issue that was very apparent. Take a look at http://game.amd.com . Specifically on that page look at the What's Up text, and the Recommendations text at the top right in the flash control under GAME Wiki. Its should be crisp and sharp. Please check and let me know how it looks to you.

The Westinghouse 42" 1080p looks so awsome everywhere else really. If yours doesnt have the above issue, I might could settle for a 37" . . .

It wasnt an issue that was very apparent. Take a look at http://game.amd.com . Specifically on that page look at the What's Up text, and the Recommendations text at the top right in the flash control under GAME Wiki. Its should be crisp and sharp. Please check and let me know how it looks to you.

The Westinghouse 42" 1080p looks so awsome everywhere else really. If yours doesnt have the above issue, I might could settle for a 37" . . .

Yeah it seems fine to me, though I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. The red text stands off the black just fine to my eyes though.

I remember doing a lot of reading on this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

about the best color temp/contrast etc. settings for this monitor. I based my settings on the numbers recommended there, and things have been great. It's possible that your 42" is OK and just needs some fine-tuning. After you've changed your settings, you can see how well the monitor performs here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

OC2.jpg

Half way there! :) Havnt had much time. Accidentally broke the sata power port on one of my HD'd yesterday. Had to buy an identitical and reload :/

OC2.jpg

Half way there! :) Havnt had much time. Accidentally broke the sata power port on one of my HD'd yesterday. Had to buy an identitical and reload :/

do u think I can get much with my copmuter? Tell me what you think? I am at 3ghz now. I have corsair XMS 2 memory 4gb total

Masta7100 said:
do u think I can get much with my copmuter? Tell me what you think? I am at 3ghz now. I have corsair XMS 2 memory 4gb total

Sure if you can match the speeds on there. You might get better with the GTX

do you mean setting my FSB to what you have yours set at? just 440 FSB? is that all you changed in your bios? I got 12640 - 3dmark06 score with my computer at 3ghz

do you mean setting my FSB to what you have yours set at? just 440 FSB? is that all you changed in your bios? I got 12640 - 3dmark06 score with my computer at 3ghz

I'd recommend doing your homework a little and reading the stickies.

Also, he has a $600 water-cooling rig. If you are cooling with stock air don't expect to be able to match his numbers.

Back