• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryno85

Hi all
R9 270 single good enough for ultra gaming or eventually crossfire them asus r9 270 OC

1080x1920 starcraft 2. Diablo 3. advanced warfare And maybe middle earth

All 4 of those games are CPU intensive. A 270x would be fine for all of them if paired with a quality intel.

COD:AW is a FPS... not cpu intensive. The rest more or less are, yep!

I still wouldn't crossfire low end cards like that with only 2gb vram.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor?

I thought that was pretty GPU intensive, not CPU intensive.

COD:AW is a FPS... not cpu intensive. The rest more or less are, yep!

I still wouldn't crossfire low end cards like that with only 2gb vram.

No, cpu limited for sure. Especially with multiplayer.

Call-Of-Duty-Advanced-Warfare-GPU-Benchmark.jpg

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor?

I thought that was pretty GPU intensive, not CPU intensive.

Yeah, but lets be real, that game is EVERYTHING intensive, however a 270x at max settings still provides relatively solid performance.

For the games mentioned, an intel with a 270x will more than likely outperform any amd with a 280x.

Last edited:
A 270X might get 60fps at 1080p on medium settings. Max settings? It'll cripple it.

But yes, SoM is absolutely a brutal game on PC.

A 270X might get 60fps at 1080p on medium settings. Max settings? It'll cripple it.

But yes, SoM is absolutely a brutal game on PC.

seen some surprising 1080p benchmarks on mordor. Somewhere around 50fps on ultra settings with a 270x iirc. Not where I consider my level of "acceptable" 60 fps, but it seemed to be pretty well optimized considering.

seen some surprising 1080p benchmarks on mordor. Somewhere around 50fps on ultra settings with a 270x iirc. Not where I consider my level of "acceptable" 60 fps, but it seemed to be pretty well optimized considering.

1080p-ultra_r_600x450.png

Ok how about this i have heard ati cards run hotter so if i was to fit a nvidia gtx 960 because the new maxwell architecture is quite good at keeping heat down ( as we know heat is the enemy of all pc hardware ) and then later adding a 2nd but will have to change mobo gaming 3 only has cross x support

ED, on a 5960x, the game caps out at 90fps on 980, 970, 290x, 295x2, and ... that's an oldddd article ed. 4930k and gtx 680 on a pre release.

Also, multiplayer further shifts the balance to cpu performance
Even further. When people are getting 20-30 fps from overclocking, that's pretty indicative it's cpu bound. It's a dual threaded game, so that test with the 4930k where they disabled cores was ultimately pointless.

But yeah, op should strive for a better, single card setup for the time being. If he's adamant, a 4gb card would provide some leniency for sli/xfire in the future.

I doubt the game can use 16 threads, and the 5960X is clocked lower than other CPU options because it is an octo core.

That's why it appears CPU limited.

ED, on a 5960x, the game caps out at 90fps on 980, 970, 290x, 295x2, and ... that's an oldddd article ed. 4930k and gtx 680 on a pre release.

Also, multiplayer further shifts the balance to cpu performance
Even further. When people are getting 20-30 fps from overclocking, that's pretty indicative it's cpu bound. It's a dual threaded game, so that test with the 4930k where they disabled cores was ultimately pointless.

But yeah, op should strive for a better, single card setup for the time being. If he's adamant, a 4gb card would provide some leniency for sli/xfire in the future.
want to reload that link and image? Pressing on with your point without it is a bit tough for me to wrap my head around.

EDIT: As far as the core thing. The type of testing was fine. They only did it to show that FPS didn't go down when they simulated 2/3/4 threads. Who knew it was a dual core game at that time (release day I believe was when that article was out - I recall early November 2014)? That was the point of that paragraph. Where does it mention they used a pre-release version?

Anyway, curious to read the article on that octo!

Last edited:
That review talks about a frame rate cap, there's your plateau

Back