• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 480 vs570 vs 560ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think the main reason why they have those limiters on power consumption is because they were trying to bring down the temps and they did amazing job with that i havent gone over 65c yet ever with burn test and thats with 900/1800/2000 overclock my smaller and a lot less powerful 5770s ran like 80c-85c overclocked in burn test

It has to do with how much power is being drawn as well as heat. There have been ways to cope with overheating for years, now adays its nearly impossible to kill a card by overheating it. The real danger is overtaxing the VRM's, which is what you need to watch out for with the 570 (580 I believe is ok because it uses 6 VRM's instead of 4.

I bet you if you try a game, it won't underclock like its been doing in Fur. Forget about furmarks, its a pointless power virus that makes you think you need to lower your clocks, when in reality they're fine for gaming and normal use.

i think the main reason why they have those limiters on power consumption is because they were trying to bring down the temps and they did amazing job with that i havent gone over 65c yet ever with burn test and thats with 900/1800/2000 overclock my smaller and a lot less powerful 5770s ran like 80c-85c overclocked in burn test

Many of the people who killed the card had pretty low temps.

Anyway, are the drivers for the 480s still worked on?

Yes the last drivers provide improvement for 4xx and 5xx cards

I understand what furmark is and i just use it to see how stable overclock is and what temps im reaching, however i ran furmark and 3dmark06 multiple times with this overclock 900/1800/2000 1.05v and everything was stable but when i run dragon age II it gives me crashed driver with in 5 min, i tried uping voltage to 1.063 but same result, driver crashes when memory clock is too high right? or is it when core clock is too high? cant remember but its one of those

Yes the last drivers provide improvement for 4xx and 5xx cards

I understand what furmark is and i just use it to see how stable overclock is and what temps im reaching, however i ran furmark and 3dmark06 multiple times with this overclock 900/1800/2000 1.05v and everything was stable but when i run dragon age II it gives me crashed driver with in 5 min, i tried uping voltage to 1.063 but same result, driver crashes when memory clock is too high right? or is it when core clock is too high? cant remember but its one of those

More likely a high core clock, but you may have just run into the limit of what your card can do without insane ln2 type voltage. I would recommend something like Heaven over furmark as a rough OC tester, like you said some clocks will run furmarks all day and crash on the splash screen of a regular game.

Does anyone know how i can make my color settings in nvidia panel load automatically on startup?

to add my 2ps worth - I had a highly overclocked out of the box 570, which I of course overclocked further as well ....

I then upgraded - to a 480 SOC - and I have to say I prefer the 480

I had some initial problems getting the SOC to run at SOC speeds stably - but even when I'd underclocked it to 740 core I was getter better in-game experience with the 480 @ 1900x1200 with lots of FSAA than on the 570 - even though the 480 was benching in Heaven etc for me lower

better in-game experience ? well the games just felt smoother - especially with high FSAA - no sign of any stutter etc - perhaps the minimum frame rates are higher on the 480 ? not sure

I've now tweaked the 480 - and I'm running it at 815/1960 on the memory - and its super fast - its now even benching quite a bit higher than my 570 was - but I re-iterate even towrads 480 stock speeds vs the OC'd 570 - the 480 felt smoother in games.

RoamanRP - not really - as I don't think my PSU is giving enough juice currently as it is (5 year old 700W jobbie)

well I'm struggling to get above 815 - so not even quite SOC clocks

but it could be my PSU not giving a clean enough 12V line - I'm using a 2 molex to 6 pin adapter etc which is all not ideal

what I don't understand is 2 days ago I finally got card really stable in OCCT etc - even at higher clocks and higher memory speeds

but now those same settings are erroring out in OCCT ! :( - nothings changed, haven't even opened up my PC

so its either my PSU being random from one day to another or my GPU

I just ordered the EVGA GTX 570, hope it is worth it. I will be putting this in my first build.

Is thier any benefit getting the factory oc'ed card over the non-oc'ed card?

im gonna say no, i got super clocked version just because it was only $10 more, but it doesnt overclock any better than reference card, the limiting factor for ocing on these cards doesnt seem to be the chip itself, its VRM's and with power limiter on card voltage can only be increased by .1v which isnt much for high overclock

I just ordered the EVGA GTX 570, hope it is worth it. I will be putting this in my first build.

Is thier any benefit getting the factory oc'ed card over the non-oc'ed card?
90% of reference clocked cards will reach any factory overclcoked speed. SOME say the pre overclcoked cards are binned better, but I think its only binned to run at the factory overclocked speed and no higher. Who knows though. Unless the price is REALLY close, I normally go with a reference card.

The reason I grabbed the Giga 560 ti SOC was the 10 dollar price differemce for a 950mhz clock. The core/shader is rock solid @ 1ghz/2000 however the memory came @ 2290 and it simply is not stable at all. Probably do to VRM cooling. I currently have it @ 2000 and it seems ok. Every once in a while ill get some corruption but its usually only on a specific game or two.

90% of reference clocked cards will reach any factory overclcoked speed. SOME say the pre overclcoked cards are binned better, but I think its only binned to run at the factory overclocked speed and no higher. Who knows though. Unless the price is REALLY close, I normally go with a reference card.

Do you void the warranty if you OC non-oc cards? EVGA?

I am now thinking of getting a reference 480 and then mounting any cooler I want on it if the reference wont be good enough.

VRM cooling is important to me.

I am now thinking of getting a reference 480 and then mounting any cooler I want on it if the reference wont be good enough.

VRM cooling is important to me.

Have you still not bought this card yet? you been on about for months Roman:shrug:

Get a decent block like XSPC razor £39.99 on their website at the moment...I have one & a basic water cool set up...can overclock it to silly speeds...you wont regret.

No way it has been months lol? Surprised this thread lasted that long lol, maybe it needs to get closed, although it seems to have helped some other people not just me.

And currently having money problems overspent on my rig lol so not enough money left for a GFX card. I am also a student all that with exams approaching :(. In this economy its hard to even get a Saturday job lol.

I have decided to buy the card after my exams as a treat for myself :p
That way i dont get distracted too much lol

Sorry for hogging the forums!

Last edited:
Back