• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive WIERD problem! Please look

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n0aH

ok, so i have my 80gb hd with windoze on it, and my 160gb SATA storage drive...only wierd problem is that it shows up as only 74.5gb of capicity instead of 160gb...

ok first of all, do you have the both hard drives in your case right now. maybe it reading your 80 gig. what jumper does your 80 gig set to?

Did you have it set as RAID1 drive at one point? The Capacity listed is too close to the other drive to be a coincidence. Your screen shot shows the drive in it's full capacity, see the left hand column. It's got 1/2 the drive labelled as 'Unallocated.' You nedd to allocate it. Get the drive manufacturer's formatting utility (Maxblast for Maxtor's, most have some sort of tool for setting up the drives) and run that.

I never set anything with raid. You think i could use partition magic or something like that to fix it?

The manufacturer's utility wil take care of it and it's free. I would back up data just in case. A run of chkdsk could possibly 'turn it on' also. Open the command window and type "chkdsk : (drive letter)/".If it's the boot drive it'll ask if it can run on restart, otherwise it should run.

Edit: No space between the semi-colon and the drive letter. If I type it gives me the frowny face!

If you already have Partition Magic, you could do that, but I wouldn't go out and buy it just for this one thing. And also just like MrGreenJeans posted, the drive manufacturers programs will do the same thing, and they are free.

Back