• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink fan recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zadawn

Registered
Hello

What do you guys think would be the best choice for a 45 dollars budget?

I intend to cool an amd processor

i have a mATX motherboard with only two ram slots[both filled with high profile ram(corsair vengeance)]

I run the side of my case off

Thanks for your input but i have already ordered a termalright true spirit 120.

My CPU is a phenom II x4 965 be

I mounted the heatsink today and ran some tests and i was really pleased.

32 degrees idle(50 previously)

41 in guild wars 2(60-60+ previously)

53 in prime95 for half an hour or so.

I plan to do a little OC seeing as the temps are fine now,how much do you guys recommend?

the stock freq on the cpu is 3400

Zadawn, 53 under load at stock clocks seems a little high especially with that cooler. What case do you have, how many fans? Did you use too much thermal paste when mounting the HS? What are your ambient temps?

1.My case is some standard ATX case

2. Just one exhaust fan which i took from my other phenom heatsink and mounted it in the back of my case

3.I doubt i have used too much paste

4. No idea about my ambient temps

Anyway i brought the frequency up to 3800 and ran some prime95 and the it got up to 55 degrees and there it stood.Do you think i should try 4000?My Vcore is set to 1.44 by default and i can't change it anywhere in bios,how high am i able to OC with that in mind?

Also,i didn't think 53 would be high for prime95.I saw people being ok with theirs reaching 70 in prime.

EDIT: Went for 4ghz on the same voltage and ran prime with a result of 56 degrees.

How much of a performance increase should i see from 3400 to 4000?Is it noticeable?

Last edited:
As long as you keep it under 60 and it's stable your fine. Usually 55 is the point where they become unstable, but if it's not your good. You may want to invest in a better case if your budget allows it.

Performance increase depends on what you're using it for, in general yes you will have a performance increase.

I ran this cpu on much higher grades for long periods of time before buying this cooler(which was today).It was almost always at 60-60+ but i never experienced instability.

Thanks for your replies though,it helped.

You said you just have an exhaust fan. Id recommend getting an intake fan to keep airflow running around. If you have room for 120mm fans, id probably suggest 1 of those for intake and 1 for exhaust. If your case permits. If not, just get something for an intake. That should reduce your temps. I run a i7 with 2 intake, 1 exhaust. Idle temps around 30C and under load (prime95). I get up to about 65C. That's with a slight over clock to 3.8ghz.

Unfortunately to fit any more fans would mean to buy a new case which i don't have the money for right now.I have no place for fans in the front of the case,on top there's a handle which you can't unmount so i can't place any fans there either and on the side there's no room for a fan because of the heatsink which is big.

Back