• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello hello!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DismorphiC

Hi SETI crunchers...

Long time DC'er, first time writer.

Lame intro but that's ok because this forum seems kind of dead. Well let me introduce myself. I've been a part of SETI for around 10-11 years now. Until a year or so ago I was doing quite well -- until I found Folding@home; a project that I feel hits a little closer to home. At any rate, i love having BOINC to manage my projects as well as the multiple OS/Architectures it supports but I've switched over what I could to the overclockers.com Folding Team [32] where I'm doing quite well.

I recently racked up a Sun T5140 and decided to break it in in the traditional way -- crunching numbers. Unfortuntately FAH doesn't have a Solaris client (or a Linux client for SPARC) so I decided -- hey, why not run SETI on it for the OC.COM team? After hunting for a way to join a team (forgot how -- been so many years since I switched to FAH) I finally found it. My RAC is super low right now but give me 48 hours and you'll be glad I made the leap.

Figured I'd send out an intro to say howdy.

Cheers. :rock:

Last edited:
:welcome: to our Seti team, DismorphiC!:rock:

You will find that the Folding forum is much busier than the Rosetta and Seti forums. I think it's because of the rather buggy Folding clients (IMO) and all the different versions they have running, compared to the more mature and stable BOINC client (again, IMO). I used to fold, but got rather fed up with their ever changing hardware requirements and the inequities I think they have in their scoring system. And for me, the BOINC clients are much easier to manage and keep running painlessly. You see, I work on drilling rigs offshore for weeks at a time, so I can't babysit a temperamental client and BOINC fills the bill for me with Seti and Rosetta.

:welcome: DismorphiC!

There are actually a decent number of us, and if I remember right we're 5th in the Seti world. I'm glad you decided to come check out our team. It should be interesting to see what your Sun system can put out RAC-wise.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I hope to see what it can do before I turn it over for production use

http://shop.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...n_Catalogue_US
It's the configuration on the right- price tag of $34,495.00!! WOW.

I agree with you there muddocktor. BOINC is such a piece of cake to set up, and just let it go about it's business. Setting up multiple projects and priorities all within the same app makes my life easy, especially when I had some 30+ clients running.

One thing I never noticed was optimizers. I never really got that far along, and honestly never bothered watching my points. I just wanted to find ET =)

The folding forum is quite active, lots of comradery, and like you said - there's so many different clients and settings and hardware tweaking and babysitting that needs to be done. I have still yet to get my GTX285 to fold in Linux (I refuse to put any MS products on my hardware) because they don't have a native CUDA client.

Does anybody know off the top of their head of a seti client made specifically for the Niagara processor? If I can drop that in and squeeze out even more work that would be grand.

Cheers

Nice to see ya DismorphiC every credit helps !

that link of yours didnt work but i found the machine easy enough and wow that oughta put out some good numbers!

Yes, Welcome.
Quickly fix that link. I wanna see what 35K buys.

Well, I found the T5140, but that was "only" 23K. I'm guessing it's optioned out to the max.

Last edited:
:welcome: to
OC_SETI1.PNG

Not to be a nudge but Rosetta has the same basic mission as F@H and is a BOINC project - easy to run. ;)

:welcome: DismorphiC!

There are actually a decent number of us, and if I remember right we're 5th in the Seti world. I'm glad you decided to come check out our team. It should be interesting to see what your Sun system can put out RAC-wise.
We're currently 8th in total points though we should overtake BOINC Synergy by this time next week! :attn:
We run 5-6th in DAC/RAC production ... :)

Yea... there's no way that I could afford to buy that machine on my own. It's destined to be our new Oracle EBS apps server, but that's in the future and I have to get it all patched up and ready for install.

If you go to Sun's page (now Oracle.com) and go to the Sun store, there's 2 options for T5140- the base, and the one we got which has a retail of like 35k. We didn't spend that much (Sun wanted to close the year well and move a lot of units. They gave us a slick deal to get the order placed before the end of the year. Trust though; they'll make up for it and more in support contracts).

EDIT: Rosetta you say eh? Heard about it, never looked deeply into it. Any chance they've got a client that this box will make some sweet sweet points on?

OK does this sound normal to you?

Here's an example:
SETI@home Enhanced v5.12
Runtime 118,602.03 sec
Claimed credit: 33.51

SRSLY? 33 credit for 33 hours of work? Is that how the points work these days, kind of like the SETI classic WU's?

For i7 960, something is way off. When I restarted BOINC after I put my i5 together and removed the old AMD and CUDA stuff, I was doing about 1k a day with original BOINC and closer to 5k a day with optimized for Intel CPU. No GPU work as ATi isn't fully supported.

Do you have some fancy 3D screensaver? Playing 3D games a lot? Doing something that taxes CPU? If it's been idling mostly, something is probably wrong with your BOINC installation.

OK does this sound normal to you?

Here's an example:
SETI@home Enhanced v5.12
Runtime 118,602.03 sec
Claimed credit: 33.51

SRSLY? 33 credit for 33 hours of work? Is that how the points work these days, kind of like the SETI classic WU's?
My Q6600 running the stock 2.4 GHz takes about 2200 sec for a 31-33 work unit - but that's running on Windows with all the latest optimizers in place. Figure Linux will run 2-3 times that so we'll say 7000 sec to add some slack. That's still nowhere near what your seeing so something is obviously wrong ...

These numbers seem fine to me... compare this to an atom processor. Remember you also have to multiple by the 128 work units you are processing at one time.

Back