• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose/use a image software for hard drives.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

I used to use Ghost up intil about version 11 and then they went down hill.

I want to be able to ghost a vista/windows7 box and restore them back to default within a couple minutes. This used to be possible and still is as long as you are not running anything over windows xp as a client. I used to use Ghost 10/11 clone the drive that I had hooked up to a usb adapter that was capable of sata, ide, laptop ide form factor. After imaging the drive I would replace the one in the current machine with the new ghosted clone to verify it worked before saving the image. 99% of the time this worked all the time.

I have Acronis Home 2010, I have created an image basically the same way described above but using acronis. If I try and boot via the usb hard drive adapter it loads windows7, then blue screens. The drive I saved the image on was IDE and my setup is a SATA. I am thinking this is the problem, but without another sata drive to verify I dont want to assume its doing its job.

I also have Macrium Reflect Image software as well. I have created an image using that software as well and I have yet to restore and see if I can boot off the usb drive. Usually it wasn't a problem before with Ghost.

I hope this makes sense and someone here can give me some input.

I always have people coming to me to clone their disks because they are afraid of upgrading etc without a known good to go back to just incase a printer, scanner etc isn't compatible with Vista/Windows7. So far I haven't had a problem because I can use my old Ghost copy as long as they are windows XP or earlier.

Thanks for reading my long drawn out post.

Last edited:
Back