• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcll2002

Ive gathered 1k to "fool around with" for my computer. I have some really hard choices to make because they are so similar but can make a huge difference.

Let me give you some background first-
I just got a 7950GT KO from RMA so i have like 75 days until the eVGA step up runs out. I was thinking about stepping up to the G80. It would only cost me about $300 to do this. That said, I was thinking about upgrading to c2d (well not thinking, just thinking how exactly i would do it). I wasn't sure whether to get an e6600, e6400, p5b-deluxe, p5w DH. You know- the standard questions. Anyway, I don't really do any video encoding or anything like that.

My ultimate goal is to hit 3.6ghz or greater with the CPU. I'm watercooled. That said, I know it's really hit or miss, but i don't want to spend an extra $150 or whatever it is when i could have gotten the same clock or close to that. Anyway, here is what I've narrowed it down to.

e6600
P5B-Deluxe
crucial ballistix 10th anniversary 2gb ddr2-667

e6600
P5B-E

e6600
P5W DH Deluxe

e6400
P5B Deluxe

e6400
P5B-E

Yes, I'm open to other ram suggestions also.

I've seen on the conroe overclock database that the clocks really aren't that far off between the e6400/e6600. Ive seen people crap out at 3.2ghz for both. So, i really don't know what to do.

I'm 16 years old and obviously money is precious ;)

with watercooling, either a e6400 or e6600 would give you an equal shot at 3.6ghz, imo. i can run 3.6ghz with my e6300, on air even.

the main difference is, the extra cache of the e6600. you need to decide if it is worth it to you.

If you are on a tight budget, get the E6400 and O/C the snot out of it. The P5B would probably handle 450 FSB better than the P5W DH. That Crucial RAM should also handle 450 FSB with a little extra voltage and more relaxed timings. The vid card thing is up to you. I would think the 7950 could handle anything you throw at it. Are you a hardcore gamer with a big widescreen monitor?

Last edited:
kinda hardcore but not really, and i have a nice big WS monitor :).

The cache really doesn't seem that important outside of superpi times. I'm tempted to go with the e6400, but i just keep thinking that ill only get like 3.2 ghz you know?

Yeah, the more I think about it, i dont need THAT much CPU power, so i should "save" my $100.

I think i should spend the extra $50 and go with the Deluxe p5b rather than the p5b-e because of the extra chipset cooling. am i thinking right?

6400. From everything I've read, you won't see a whole lot of performance advantage with the 6600. There's a HUGE OC database thread going @ hardforum (blah, yea I know :D) that shows a lot of 6400 users getting much higher clocks than 6600 users. You lose the 2mb of cache, but for most uses, you won't miss it - and for saving $100, it's usually a good trade off.

^^yeah i was just looking at that DB and thats what made me wonder in the first place :)

Follow Badboys advice. Take the 6400 and push the hell out of it.
But i would prefer the P5B Deluxe.
Your Crucial will handle such FSB with a little more Voltage.

E6400 P5B Deluxe Non wifi

Your going to love and 3.6 would be no sweat watercooled.

I wish I kept my E6400 it did 3.8 with 1.5v 24/7

Which reminds me I need to change my siggy...

Back