• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC-ing my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bralemili

Registered
Hello everyone!

I would like to ask for some opinions about OC-ing my PC.

Build:

Processor: AMD 8120 Zambezi 3.1Ghz
Cooler: Thermal Take - Contact 39
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 rev1.02
RAM: 2x4Gb Corsair Venegance 1600Mhz DD3
1x8Gb A-Data 1600Mhz DDR3
SDD: 120Gb Samsung Evo 840
HDD: 500Gb 5400 rpm
Graphic Card: 1Gb GDDR5 Radeon HD 6670
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12-II Bronze Evo Edition 630W

Thank you for any answers!

P.S.- Is it ok to add a single (different) RAM in between 2 of the same RAM? And can they work on 1600Mhz?

I think you need to ask one of the Moderators to transfer this to the AMD SECTION, that way you will get some help!! By the way there are a really great bunch of very experienced guy's over there i would listen to. Very carefully as to what they say, and if they ask you to do something, then do it!! ;) :thup:

Good Luck with your OC.

AJ.

You won't make it very far on that motherboard. The 4+1 VRM section will limit you.

lol i thought it was a high-end mobo.
So you suggest no OC, not even Auto OC Tuner in BIOS?

Could my PSU get affected by OC? I had a NAXN 450W for 1 month.
I made a slight OC from 3.1Ghz to 3.6Ghz and it worked for a week or two.
Suddenly 3.3v started to drop to ~2.90v. I know that this PSU was kinda weak for my configuration. But I played games on full details and the voltage was stable for these couple weeks.

And last question... Can I use 2x4Gb VENEGANCE 1600 Mhz and 1x8Gb A-data 1600Mhz together at 1600Mhz?

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Psu specs are 5%. 2.9v on 3 was fine.

Assuming psu was good quality and modern with most w/a on the 12v, it should have easily run that setup.

CPU-Z Screentshots

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 55
Ooof... Math fail. In my head it was fine! Lol! :p

That is out of spec. Curious as to why it is that rail. The majority of the load on a psu is 12v.

First I tthought it was a false flag by AI Suite from ASUS, so I dint care.
After a few days the PC started to freeze. I went to BIOS and saw the same voltage readings...

Use a multimeter, software is inaccurate for this quite a lot.

AI Suite is more likely to cause issues than the Seasonic PSU.

The issue was for the old(one month old) NAXN Psu 450W.

The seasonic 630W is brand new, bought yesterday, and it works like a charm... Quiet and powerful

+1. It may have been low, but software is NOTROIUS for reading wrong. You should only believe a multimeter.

The issue was for the old(one month old) NAXN Psu 450W.

The seasonic 630W is brand new, bought yesterday, and it works like a charm... Quiet and powerful

Ah that makes more sense.

My statement still stands that software sucks for reading voltage unless its CPU/GPU.

Ah that makes more sense.

My statement still stands that software sucks for reading voltage unless its CPU/GPU.

I agree. Thank you!

Can someone give me advice about my RAM? Im confused with the dual channeling. I have 2x4Gb 1600 corsair and 1x 8Gb 1600 a-data. If Im not overclocking does it matter they are different?
And can I set their freq. in BIOS to 1600MHz instead of 1333?
The CPUZ screenshots of my memory is a few posts above.

Starting to love this forum... :)

Ditch the single 8GB stick and run the 2x4GB in dual channel. Not that it matters much at all but they have a lot lower timings. Just put them in the proper slots (read your manual for which ones), set the XMP profile and you should be good to go.

EDIT: Does AMD have XMP? If not set the speed, timings, and voltage manually.

Ditch the single 8GB stick and run the 2x4GB in dual channel. Not that it matters much at all but they have a lot lower timings. Just put them in the proper slots (read your manual for which ones), set the XMP profile and you should be good to go.

EDIT: Does AMD have XMP? If not set the speed, timings, and voltage manually.

The system recognizes the 2x4 as dual channel. To be honest, I have no idea how to make the XMP profile or how to set manually correct values for my RAM. Is there a website where I can find these values or I have to test out myself?

You'll need to look in your motherboard manual, it's done in the BIOS.

The memory manufacturer should have recommended timings for the RAM, as well as being able to use the information from CPUz on the SPD tab for that stick.

Back