• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC-ing my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crap I must be getting old. I first read this with a chuckle and then I got curious. I went to look since "bralemili" had a yellow star under his screen name and I said well let me see what else he has asked about since it used to take 50 posts for a single yellow star. Nope now it must be only 10 posts since he has barely made 13 posts total and that all about this same situation. However he is pretty quick to know the answers to questions asked. So: >>

1. > Bralemili, you have a system that is not what we call robust enough for overclocking an 8 core early FX 8 core processor.

2. > You went down to your friendly computer shoppee and said man gimme some ram I need to get where I can handle use of 12 gigs and I have 8, so they set you up with a single 8 gig stick of mis-matched ram which is normally not recommended in a "performance" venue.

3. > But the only thing you really want to do is cover your needs for Adobe memory usage. Right? Wrong?

4. > If you were a 'customer' of mine and I knew you cared little for the niceties of overclocking but just wanted to use Adobe and not see that you were run out of ram, I would fire-up P95 Blend mode and run for 2 hours and if all passed in that P95 gave no errors and temps did not exceed 70c on the Cpu/Socket and did not exceed 62c on the Package/Core temps while monitoring with Free version of CPUID HWMonitor, then I would tell you to rock on man.

The change to a better power supply may have cured any errors and BSODs you were seeing and now you should know we do not recommend that particular board for overclocking, so if you have n0 P95 Blend failures just use your mis-matched ram. If there are no problems with stability...heck you will never know it is using mis-matched ram. Save your money and have some change in hand to upgrade where necessary if you really want to get some extra performance from overclocking.

Yes I know you guys are shocked in hearing this from the mobo police, but I have worked on customer computers off and on for years and most of them have far different goals than us that would overclock the washing machine if we thought we could.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
Another reason that I am not so gungho to have him ditch his mis-matched ram that could work, is that he has an air-cooler for his cpu that I wonder if it will take tall heat spreader ram in the ram slots if he sells off all and gets 16 gigs of ram with tall heat spreaders. I am just hoping to see him get on with life and Adobe as painless as possible. If he wants to get OR needs some real performance out of an 8 core BD processor then he needs a thoughtful rebuild. I doubt he does care about anything but Adobe and ram.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time writing such a message. Incredible people on this forum.. Thank you !

Im not a noob with PCs, but I am
when we speak about OC and RAM quality and clocks.

1) Meaning my mobo sucks for this processor? What is a recommended board for this processor?

2) I told the guy I have dual 4Gb, he said its ok to add a different chip as long the freq. is the same. I really think he has absolutely no knowledge

3) When I use Adobe AfterEffects and do renderings, it uses a lot of RAM and time. Thats why I bought the SSD and it helped a lot regarding to timing. But I needed more RAM because it would use up 8Gb and then the HDD cache kicks in, so I bought more RAM and turned off caching.

4) I want to have a strong computer. It's not only Adobe programs. Im a programmer and a gamer. What would you change on my PC?

Thank you

Still didnt get home, so no shots yet...

I would leave your Page File enabled...(what I assume you meant by caching). If you turned off caching on your HDD, turn it back on.

If it were mine I would get the ram I listed earlier and a Gigabyte 990fx UD3 rev4 and an aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't have one already. You could get a mild overclock and improve your rendering times without worrying about heat and your board giving out.

I would leave your Page File enabled...(what I assume you meant by caching). If you turned off caching on your HDD, turn it back on.

Should I turn on paging for the SSD or for both SSD and HDD.
Guessing the answer would be only SSD since my HDD is 5400rpm?

I forced the PC to use a lot of RAM. And at ~14Gb AfterEffects crashed, at steady 12Gb it worked fine... So I definetly need to change the memory?
Im going to try now with P95, and tell the results

4) I want to have a strong computer. It's not only Adobe programs. Im a programmer and a gamer. What would you change on my PC?

I would get an NVidia GPU, preferably a 760 or higher, and run the CUDA toolkit.
It will boost your Adobe performance like you can't imagine.

I would get an NVidia GPU, preferably a 760 or higher, and run the CUDA toolkit.
It will boost your Adobe performance like you can't imagine.

Not even so expensive :) It costs like the Graphic card I have now.. (Asus - AMD Radeon HD 6670)

Is it better to use a full AMD build CPU + GPU + Chipset or it doesnt matter?

I was reading a year ago somthing about the Scorpius platform. Should I go towards that or that has no effect on the PC performance?

Not even so expensive :) It costs like the Graphic card I have now.. (Asus - AMD Radeon HD 6670)

Is it better to use a full AMD build CPU + GPU + Chipset or it doesnt matter?

I was reading a year ago somthing about the Scorpius platform. Should I go towards that or that has no effect on the PC performance?

I would just buy the 760 and install it in your current system, minus the 6670.

Many other GPUs would work if that's out of the OP's budget also.

OP, what would your budget be?

My budget is not fixed. If I really need somthing that would boost performance of my PC, I would buy it. If more pieces, maybe one at a time.

Conclusion:

I need better RAM
I need better Motherboard
I need better GPU
-----------------------------

Somthing to add?

It makes no difference at all in my opinion. I have mostly run Nvidia in my systems for the CUDA. They work just fine and AMD now suports SLI.

My budget is not fixed. If I really need somthing that would boost performance of my PC, I would buy it. If more pieces, maybe one at a time.

Conclusion:

I need better RAM
I need better GPU

Somthing to add?

RAM - 2x8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1866 CL9 1.5V
MOBO - GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4 (Newegg has the Rev. 4.0 pictured, I would confirm from the seller that the board is 4.0, as there were issues that were resolved from the 3.0 version)
GPU - EVGA GTX 760 ACX

I'll edit links in here in a second.

Conclusion:

I need better RAM
I need better GPU

Somthing to add?

A decent aftermarket HSF for the CPU a Hyper 212 would suffice for a mild OC.

Thank you, I will add-up the cost and see will I be buying somthing like this in the close future.

Is ASUS a bad MOBO manufacturer or is only this mobo bad for my CPU?

Asus makes great motherboards, but the UD3 will do everything you need cheaper than most of the Asus boards that are worth buying.

Back