• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC-ing my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you very much.

I added up everything, it would cost around 500$. To be honest, the RAM price really shocked me. I payed for the venegance 2x4Gb, maybe 1.5 years ago, 130$.
So the G.Skill is really affordable for me (double memory and better clock for a simmilar price).

I think I will go with the Mobo and RAM first, then buy the GPU?
Or you think I should use a different priority?

I put another chasis fan right by the bridge so it gets cooled from the CPU fan and chasis fan.
The RAM gets cooled from the CPU fan.

I hope this was a good move?

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Thank you very much.

I added up everything, it would cost around 500$. To be honest, the RAM price really shocked me. I payed for the venegance 2x4Gb, maybe 1.5 years ago, 130$.
So the G.Skill is really affordable for me (double memory and better clock for a simmilar price).

I think I will go with the Mobo and RAM first, then buy the GPU?
Or you think I should use a different priority?

I got my 4x4GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 CL9 1.5V for $60 new.
Prices are way up, actually.

DDR3 production is slowing, since DDR4 is near, so prices have risen.

That cooler looks OK but you should work on that cable routing when you swap boards. Those slots in your case that go around the MOBO area are for running the wires behind the mobo tray and then bringing them back out where they're needed. Like the CPU power cable that's stretched across everything.

I got my 4x4GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600 CL9 1.5V for $60 new.
Prices are way up, actually.

DDR3 production is slowing, since DDR4 is near, so prices have risen.

When is DDR4 going to be released?
Should I maybe wait for that and by a mobo that will fit the DDR4 or it is not somthing that makes a big difference?

That cooler looks OK but you should work on that cable routing when you swap boards. Those slots in your case that go around the MOBO area are for running the wires behind the mobo tray and then bringing them back out where they're needed. Like the CPU power cable that's stretched across everything.

haha. I was in a hurry. When my PSU died yesterday, I was in the middle of a project, and I was kinda late... I will reconnect eveything again today.

Does it have any effect on performance/temp or is it just to be more organized and look slick?

When is DDR4 going to be released?
Should I maybe wait for that and by a mobo that will fit the DDR4 or it is not somthing that makes a big difference?

haha. I was in a hurry. When my PSU died yesterday, I was in the middle of a project, and I was kinda late... I will reconnect eveything again today.

Does it have any effect on performance/temp or is it just to be more organized and look slick?

It'll be long enough that you should go ahead and upgrade. It MIGHT be on the next generation, but we're not sure yet.

If it restricts airflow, it can have an effect on temp/performance.

DDR4 will come out with Intel's next gen CPU (Broadwell?) I believe. It is in servers now (not sure if it is released for the public, but we saw DDR4 in action on next gen intel servers).

Off-topic.

Does RDRAM have any value, like for collectioners or idk.
It was very expensive, and at that time (Pentium 4 came out) it was the best RAM available.

Any clues?

Back to the topic.

What is the best test in PRIME95 to test RAM?

EDIT:

So I dont write 100 msgs....
Is it ok to leave BIOS to set the processor speeds? I think that would be AMD Turbo Core?
or should I set it to a fixed speed (3.1Ghz factory)

Not sure... let it run... It takes around 30-45 minutes, I THINK to do a cycle...

Otherwise, do a custom test. Note the settings in Blend, then go to custom add those settings in there and change the amount of ram to use. Leave 1GB or so for the OS etc.

Screenshots after ~ 30 Min of custom Torture Test set to use aditional 10 000 Mb of memory

CPU - RAM - Mobo & CPU Temp - Voltages

COMPLETE.jpg

EDIT:

The temp is going 58.C - 59.C - 58.C all the time, so I stopped

We have tuned thousands with the information...

...information displayed in these captures and not the whole screen.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

Thank you for the info, I'm sorry for the pic. :D
I will make new screenshots after i get a few things done..

Help setting up a few BIOS settings.

What should I set for HT speed and Bus Speed.

Should I leave it Auto?

And should I set Ai Overclock Tuner in BIOS to Auto or Manual?

What should I set for HT speed and Bus Speed. >> Should I leave it Auto? = Sounds okay at Auto for now since you are not overclocking anyway but rather looking into upgrading.

And should I set Ai Overclock Tuner in BIOS to Auto or Manual? = I normally don't want an Ai (artificial intelligence) doing my overclocking, so it would be Manual for me.
RGone...

Personally I wouldn't touch that cooler with a 10 foot pole but I guess it looks pretty.

It's fine if not going to OC I guess.

At any rate, he doesn't seemed to inclined to listen.

Back