• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC-ing my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ditch the single 8GB stick and run the 2x4GB in dual channel. .

EDIT: Does AMD have XMP? If not set the speed, timings, and voltage manually.

I'm with E_D on this one. Ditch th Adata unless you absolutely need the extra ram using the two in Dual channel will give much better performance and would be alot more stable. This could have been causing your PC to freeze. It also could be your board heating up that was causing the freeze.

AFAIK E_D I haven't seen an XMP on any of my boards. AMD developed their own system called AMP ( AMD memory profiles) but I never see it either.

Like I said, I do not think AMD has an XMP profile... someone with more knowledge on that side of the house can help you out.

As far as what timings and voltage to set, look at your existing CPUz screenshot. The SPD tabs for your 2x4GB kit. The timings are 9-9-9-24 1600MHz 1.5v.

Id still ditch the other stick... its timings are way different and can be a source of instability...

You'll need to look in your motherboard manual, it's done in the BIOS.

The memory manufacturer should have recommended timings for the RAM, as well as being able to use the information from CPUz on the SPD tab for that stick.

Thank you! I will look it up, and I will post a screenshot with the new values.
Since some people say my motherboard sucks (Asus M5A97 rev1.02), does that have any impact on setting RAM timings?

Thank you all for the help!!

Thank you! I will look it up, and I will post a screenshot with the new values.
Since some people say my motherboard sucks (Asus M5A97 rev1.02), does that have any impact on setting RAM timings?

Thank you all for the help!!

It'll run RAM just fine. The issue with that board is getting power to the CPU.

Like I said, I do not think AMD has an XMP profile... someone with more knowledge on that side of the house can help you out.

As far as what timings and voltage to set, look at your existing CPUz screenshot. The SPD tabs for your 2x4GB kit. The timings are 9-9-9-24 1600MHz 1.5v.

Id still ditch the other stick... its timings are way different and can be a source of instability...

Damn store people. I asked the guy if its ok to add ram like this, he said 'of course, just buy a card with the same freq.'
I need memory because I use a lot of Adobe programs that really get 'heavy' at some point...

I guess I'll sell the 8gb chip to some1 and buy 2x4 of the same I have allready.

Damn store people. I asked the guy if its ok to add ram like this, he said 'of course, just buy a card with the same freq.'
I need memory because I use a lot of Adobe programs that really get 'heavy' at some point...

I guess I'll sell the 8gb chip to some1 and buy 2x4 of the same I have allready.

You can either sell the 2x4GB and grab another 1x8GB or do what you said.
Either way will work fine.

Do you actually see over 8GB in Task Manager?

You can either sell the 2x4GB and grab another 1x8GB or do what you said.
Either way will work fine.

Do you actually see over 8GB in Task Manager?

The 2x4 is Corsair Venegance and the 1x8 is a-data. I think I should get rid of the lower quality one(a-data)?

Bralemili - If you answer my question, we will know which would be best to get rid of. :)

To make a long story short, if you actually use close to 8GB, then perhaps selling the 2x4GB kit or BOTH (the 1x8gb as well) is best and grab a 2x8GB kit. I don't like the CL11 timings on the 1x8GB personally...

EDIT: This is me, but since you use 12GB, I would sell all of what you have and buy 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5v.

Not how much does Task Manager see, but how much does it show as used when you're running your Adobe stuff.

It uses RAM normally. It shows 16Gb capacity also it shows its using ~12Gb currenlty... If I switch places of the chips, then it says 16gb max , and usable 12Gb or 8Gb

image_36.png

In that image, where it says 2.74GB, what does it say on yours when you're running your apps?

Back