• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! overclocking my 1090T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That chip looks OK C_D what are you cooling it with? One of your loops?

your cpu is a good bit better than mine
I wouldn't say that at all - mine is probably just overvolted more - I don't really trust Gigabyte to monitor voltages correctly on their AM3 boards anymore. The gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 I'm using has not just a terrible bios, it has terribly coarse voltage adjustment. 0.025v increments suck - jumping from say 1.550 to 1.575 really is exponential heat.

The only reason I'm running so high of HTT is that this chip is a 1045T ... my max usable (non-turbo) multiplier is 13.5.

more extraneous info
Socket temps have been insane with this chip/mobo. It hits 67C. I've tried about all I can think of to cool the socket - to the point of unmounting the board, standing it up bare with a house fan blowing on it and it still won't go down. So either the board sensor is some weird extrapolated thing, or Thuban at high HTT volts is going to burn some socket pins. Of course the heatsink I'm using isn't the best, but still I can't even get the socket temps to budge down with stupid airflow which seems suspect.

Over 4.05Ghz things start getting ugly. 4.1Ghz really seems like maybe it could be made to work with better parts... like say you have ;)

I see many results posted on the internet "past" where people "got 4.1Ghz+ stable," but I always wonder if these are just on/off machines. I can get bench stability"ish" at 4.1, but then after say 4 days of Rosetta@Home I wonder why the stats have dropped off, and then when I go kick the machine my OS is gone...

But this machine is literally cobbled together from "extra parts" so, the proc was given to me, the mobo I bought for $70 to "bail out" a buddy of mine from that board (He's the one who bought a Saberkitty to replace it), the power supply is some 600w Rosewell of questionable make (group regulated CWT lol), the heatsink is some junker off the back table (seriously, this heatsink wasn't ever intended to cool something this hot), etc.

So honestly the fact it hasn't exploded something yet is a bit of a victory itself :D

for cooling I am using my coolermaster siedon, 2x120 aio.
I may be disposing of my socket 1150 stuff so I might have one of my loops to put it under soon.
as far as socket temp I have great headroom there as my real limit is quite a bit higher than we will put up with here in the forum, I just like to have it within 10c of package so I do not lead people with lesser boards into the release of magic smoke.

You know as always cooler the better. You just got tired of the i7?

the 4790K is a great processor, but only 4 "real" cores and my software will only see "real" cores.
the issue is that with 8 "real" cores my 8350 at 4.8 is 70% faster even with the lower per core throughput, also broadwell was the end of the line for the 1150 socket so no new toys for it, no more fun to be had from it.
time to round up the 8 optron processors and the 4 boards I have laying around the shop and see how much money I can waste on them.......

Ahh well that makes sense then. Real cpus for real work.

BOBSTER, I don't really know, I have not even looked at them.
I have the optrons and boards from the old shop machine, they are not going into the new rig up at the new shop, (for the life of me I have no idea on earth what that is going to be), nobody will tell me who owns them so I just might have to use them up.
it is kind of strange, cores that are smoke and mirrors...........

dang, I'm getting there.....
what's the tops for cpu/nb voltage on these things?

Attachments

• hw monitor.JPG
    hw monitor.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 59
  • 17.5x235.JPG
    17.5x235.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 17.5x235.JPG
    17.5x235.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
niiiccee. Does Thuban burn if you get NB volts above core and memory voltages? I remember that wasn't so great for Bloomfield.... but this isn't Intel. =D

I usually stay at or below 1.45ish with my water cooling.

then I think I'm topped out at 1.482. so it looks like I have reached the end of the line with this rig and since this crosshair board has all these neat buttons to push and knobs to twist, that actually do things, unlike intel, I'll while away the evening pushing and twisting and swap this rig out for the 8 core Arnold/maya/nuke rig tomorrow and it'll be back to school................

I usually stay at or below 1.45ish with my water cooling.
That's a good guideline if you want your chip to live, yes :D

I think C_D is needing more of "what's the max before it just goes POP" cause his 3GHZ uncore @ 1886 through a prime95 run is higher than "sane running" hehe...

I've run 1.6 for "a while" but... i was probably sagged to 1.5xx. And it was very not kind to the chip since I'm just air cooled.

- - - Updated - - -

it looks like I have reached the end of the line with this rig
Thank you for sharing sir.

you ask, we'll give it a go!

oh, before I forget, go join the gang in the just putzen around thread, all the rules are in post #1.

Yeah keep it cool and pump the volts to it. If you're interested in OC that chip you'll get more attention if you start your own thread. There's also a good guide at the bottom of my sig for overclocking PII/Thubans

Oh and welcome to OCF Dopelovinghippy

Yeah keep it cool and pump the volts to it. If you're interested in OC that chip you'll get more attention if you start your own thread. There's also a good guide at the bottom of my sig for overclocking PII/Thubans

Oh and welcome to OCF Dopelovinghippy

sweet sorry also im newbie ... cheers....:)

No biggie it'll just be better for you. People tend to pay more attention to a new thread VS and older one.

Back